Sponsored by:

zaino bros. polish/treatment

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 01:08 PM
mick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up zaino bros. polish/treatment

A few weeks ago a contributor suggested a polish/treatment made by zaino. I tried it this weekend and have to admit it I think it is the best yet. I was using P21S polish followed by Blitz wax. The shine is like glass. My question is for those others using Zaino. Are you happy with the long term results? Any tips for best results other than those listed on web page (zainobros.com). How often do you use the "polish lok". thanks. mick
Old 06-25-2001, 10:23 PM
993Widebody
Racer

I've been using Zaino for about 3 months now. Used the polish lok just once the first time.

The really cool thing about this product, besides the awesome shine, is the incredible ease in which you can apply it. Also, it really seems to last long, despite a lot of rain and sun.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:02 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought some of the stuff. Anxious to try it, based on all the positive reviews.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:36 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Just finished my first Zaino treatment: Washed with Dawn as suggested to thoroughly remove old wax, then used Z-1 followed by Z-2 and Z-6.

I was pretty skeptical about this silly repetitive system of "Z-this" followed by "Z-that", but I have to admit that the results are excellent. My wife is adamant that no other product has ever given the car such a mirror finish.

Another positive attribute: Touching the car does not leave fingerprints as easily as with former waxes such as Blitz. Also, the stuff requires a lot less elbow grease than some traditional carnauba waxes.

I've yet to repeat the Z-2 / Z-6 sequence, but so far, I'm impressed. Hopefully, the protection will last a few months.

My only concern: I noticed somewhere that Zaino may contain silicone. Is this harmful to the rubber seals around our 993 windows?
Old 07-08-2001, 05:24 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Thumbs up

Mick/Anir, I've used Zaino for several years now and its excellent. As to the Z1 lok, you only need to use that maybe 2X per year and there are no silcones in the Zaino products. Sal Zaino also recommends claying your car before your first use of the product for best results.

Doug
Old 07-08-2001, 05:50 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, Doug.

I just finished the 2nd application (Z-2, then Z-6), and the results are even better than after the first coat. True mirror-like finish.

After using all kinds of other products (e.g. Meguiars, 3M, Blitz), I'm thoroughly surprised and impressed. It's as good as the hype, both in terms of finish and ease of application & removal. No significant residue either.

Sorry for sounding like a commercial. I can promise you that I have no vested interest in using this product. Also, I still have to evaluate its longevity and protective qualities. Time will tell.
Old 07-09-2001, 02:13 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
For you guys that are using zaino now, how does it compare to zymol; if you've ever used their product?
Old 07-09-2001, 01:05 PM
mick
Racer

To all those who responded
Thanks for the responses. It is nice to see that we all agree on how good this product really is. I have now given my car about 6 applications of the polish and the results really are outstanding. I get comments from people I dont even know about the shine. I was concerned when one of you mentioned silicon but felt better when one of the later repsondents confirmed with Zaino that it does not contain silicon. thanks again. mick
Old 07-09-2001, 01:25 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by David Edwards:
<STRONG>For you guys that are using zaino now, how does it compare to zymol; if you've ever used their product?</STRONG>
I have used the cheap zymol product that is sold in K-marts, etc that is known as "zurtyle wax" since it was supposedly made by zymol and it is not even in the same ballpark as zaino. I have heard good things about zymol's high end products, but the downside is that they don't last very long and I can't imagine anything being easier to apply and remove than zaino.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:54 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Does anyone know if Zaino is compatable with older German paints, such as a BLACK 1988 911?

I've heard that Zaino doesn't do well with the older paints.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:19 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The polish is different for cars with a clear coat and those without clear coat. I can't comment on older cars but it did work great on my race car which has non-factory black paint without clear coat.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Greg Fishman ]
Old 07-09-2001, 05:30 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Like Greg, I used the Costco version (only once) of the Xymol stuff. Awful results. Just yesterday I did the Ziano treatment on the 2001 Audi A6 2.7. It turned out wonderfull. All of the minor swirl marks that show up so well in bright sun are gone and the car has a deep shine. Not as "greasy" on the surface as if it is real dry. When you wipe the car off you are not moving the surface of the wax around as there is none. I like the fact that the Z6 has UV protection. I am going to get the clay bar to use on the 993...soon I hope. I'm convinced!
Old 07-09-2001, 06:16 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg Fishman: I can't comment on older cars but it did would great on my race car which has non-factory black paint without clear coat.
I've had the pleasure of seeing Greg's black 993 dedicated race car, and the Zaino finish does look great. In fact, his experience helped convince me to finally try the stuff.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:07 PM
Ted J
AutoX

Originally posted by Doug Malone:
<STRONG>As to the Z1 lok, you only need to use that maybe 2X per year and there are no silcones in the Zaino products.</STRONG>
When it comes to the Z1 lok I've heard that some people follow the rule of using Z1 after like 10 coats of Z2 or Z5. Now, for some people that may be 2X per year but if you go wild and put like 200 coats of Zaino on, which I've heard of people doing, then you'll want to Z1 it every once in a while when you are putting that many coats on. For exact answers to this you can go to the Zaino website and call up Sal Zaino himself and ask him.

Ted
Old 07-09-2001, 10:24 PM
Ted J
AutoX

Cool

Originally posted by mick:
<STRONG>A few weeks ago a contributor suggested a polish/treatment made by zaino. I tried it this weekend and have to admit it I think it is the best yet. I was using P21S polish followed by Blitz wax. The shine is like glass. My question is for those others using Zaino. Are you happy with the long term results? Any tips for best results other than those listed on web page (zainobros.com). How often do you use the "polish lok". thanks. mick</STRONG>
Long term wise I've been happy with it. I don't wash my car, not a Porsche though, that often and when I do it still shines nicely and the finish seems to a lot more resistant to scratches than it was before I put Zaino on it.

When it comes to some tips, well, here are a few that I've learned so if you already know them then just ignore what I've wrote.

1. Use the Zaino Car wash soap (Z7) and not that of other car wash soaps. The Zaino Car wash soap contains some of the polish in it and your applying a very small coat of polish each time you wash your car. (I used this car wash soap on a car that never had any Zaino applied to it to find out when I was done washing it the car shined better so I know there is really polish in the car wash soap now! )

2. If you use the Z5 (Swirl Remover) on your car make sure to end with Z2 since it's clearer and will provide a better shine over that of Z5.

3. Between putting coats of Z5 or Z2 on apply a coating of Z6 (Gloss Enhancer Spray) for that will help deepen the shine. It's easy to apply, just spray a very little amount on and wipe it off.

4. Make sure you use good quality towels when applying the polish or you may risk scratching your clear coat on your car. On the Zaino website Sal suggest certain brands of towels that will be safe for you to use.

5. As it has already been mentioned the clay bar is a good product to use before applying any of the polish although I must admit I don’t have any experience with using this product but have heard only good results from people who have.

6. Oh, and to add another one in here, the more coats the better and deeper shine you'll get so that's another thing to keep in mind!

Now, I've used the Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss and I do like it. It gives the rubber a very clean and dark color to it but be for warned it doesn't give you a really glossy look so if you like the really glossy look this isn't the tire gloss for you. I've heard that in car shows most of the time judges don't like the very glossy tires on cars, a friend of mine got points deducted for this, so this tire gloss I guess works out nice because it gives the tire a nice clean and deep rubber color to the tires but doesn't go overboard on the shine side of things.

Hopefully the stuff I have written above will come in handy for somebody.

Ted

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Ted J ]

Quick Reply: zaino bros. polish/treatment