Sponsored by:

BergvillFx T-ODB Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:47 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts
Default BergvillFx T-ODB Tool

Recently had a low battery voltage condition in the car which according to previous threads sometimes causes the airbag light to go on. It goes on and stays on for at least the duration of the 15 minute drives that I have been on.
I have the T-ODB tool which I want to use tomorrow to try to turn off the airbag light. The tool has a sliding switch for "airbag" and "other".

I'm not sure why there needs to be a switch but am I correct in assuming that the switch needs to be in the "airbag" position to reset the warning light?
I'll probably check out some of the other systems while I'm poking around anyway. Any other hints or tricks?

Note: This is for my 1995 993 with build date 09/94. No immobilizer. OBD1 with the trapezoid shaped connector.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyp
Recently had a low battery voltage condition in the car which according to previous threads sometimes causes the airbag light to go on. It goes on and stays on for at least the duration of the 15 minute drives that I have been on.
I have the T-ODB tool which I want to use tomorrow to try to turn off the airbag light. The tool has a sliding switch for "airbag" and "other".

I'm not sure why there needs to be a switch but am I correct in assuming that the switch needs to be in the "airbag" position to reset the warning light?
I'll probably check out some of the other systems while I'm poking around anyway. Any other hints or tricks?

Note: This is for my 1995 993 with build date 09/94. No immobilizer. OBD1 with the trapezoid shaped connector.
Tore posts here often and is great at responding to email. I would reach out directly to him
Old 05-20-2022, 09:24 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Tore got back to me and confirmed that the airbag position was correct.
Airbag fault clears but comes right back after hitting the refresh button instrument panel warning stays on and never goes off, even after a 15 minute drive.

Screen showing faults

Can clear it but only for a second, once you hit the refresh button the faults return.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:22 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

May be a silly question but have you recently swapped steering wheels?
Old 05-21-2022, 03:54 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
May be a silly question but have you recently swapped steering wheels?
Did not change the steering wheel.
I changed the alternator and had the battery unhooked for about a month. After getting everything back together and hooking up the battery the battery was dead so car would not start. I put the battery on the maintainer overnight and started immediately next day. That is also when I started to get the permanent airbag warning light.

Tore asked that I check the resting and running battery voltages due to the low voltage condition still showing in the scantool.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Hi Bobby,
I seem to recall an airbag light if illuminated and then goes out after a period indicates a non-deployment fault that can be cleared.
In your case, it seems the constant-on light is very odd.
First I would use a commercial product like Durametric or have the dealer try to clear the light as the freeware product you are using is unsupported and may simply not be able to clear the code.
Before taking it in I would disconnect the battery reach under the dash and disconnect the airbag controller, clean its pins with electronic spray cleaner and reinstall it. The plug/socket is very delicate and uses a sort of hold-down mechanism to keep the plug in place. Use care when releasing and reinstalling the plug.
Your 993 may have one of possibly 3 airbag variations in it so when using Durametric if it doesn't clear by selecting the 993, try the 964 and the 996 selections and attempt to clear the fault again.
If Durametric or a dealer can't clear the fault then there is probably something internal to the controller that has failed, the controller is a bit expensive.
Please keep us posted of your outcome so others can learn how you resolved this issue.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 05-21-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:44 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andy. Battery voltages look OK. 12.8v at rest and 13.1v with engine idling so not sure where the low voltage warning is coming from other than within the airbag module's own diagnostics.
Tore also suggested checking out the connection pins which will be the next step.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:02 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

I only had a couple minutes today and took a peek under the dashboard to find the air bag module. It's supposed to be orange? Left or right foot well?
I will look again tomorrow or Monday but was kind of hoping would jump out at me.

Quick Reply: BergvillFx T-ODB Tool