Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 12:18 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its truly amazing what a calm and serene feeling can occur when you go to a thread and see this:

Agro1
04-28-2004 05:30 AM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

techology is just awesome
Old 04-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Agro1
Banned

So if you ignored me, then why post again ? DUH
Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Alex - just to say, Nice Job Dude!!!

You may find that you'll smell the paint as the callipers get hot - but thats normal (I painted the callipers on my M Coupe red after I noticed they were chipped ).

Surj
Old 04-28-2004, 01:03 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

thanks surj - appreciate it. Looks like the paint is holding up well up to this point. Thanks for the heads up on the smell.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:22 PM
SLVR
Pro

Hey Surj - were they like very chipped or just a little.......we need a standard here, can't just run of and paint calipers for any old chip....

Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Methinks JSQ could have said what he said in much shorter statements, but he feels the need to flaunt his verbosity. Good Job!

David,
Thanks for the posts, you made me laugh several times.

PEOPLE,
How freaking serious can you be? He put red paint on his brakes, and you are arguing like there's a million dollar prize to the winner. I guess there is--the badass mentality that comes along with winning an argument over the internet. Good Job, once again. Lighten up, it's the internet and no one cares how many big words you can say or how many times you can say how much you hate his brakes. Everyone knows you hate them, we all have our opinions, and we don't want to hear yours a gazillion times (is that a word? better look it up).

Did someone already quote the guy from Billy Madison? Anyway, here it is:

"Mr. (insert name of choice), what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered (insert word of choice). Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, I don't want to start the arguments back up, just posting my opinion. I love my painted brakes, and they have held up fine for the past 6 months or so. I still haven't had time to hit the track, but that day will come soon.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I can honestly say that I always thought red was just another color for calipers and that it had nothing to do with size/performance. I mean, mine are painted silver, so what? And some older 911s had red brakes and they were still smaller than 993 brakes, right? Dunno, I must be just stoopid.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey SLVR97TT,

Actually, I used a wheel cleaner and it had corroded a little of the paint off the calliper - so I could have painted it black again - but I didn't

Anyway, the red matched the black.red interior fo the car!!!

Surj
Old 04-29-2004, 11:25 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Surj,
Have you tried the Eagle 1 product as a wheel cleaner?I used to use p21s (great product - gentle on wheels - a bit pricey) then I saw Guru Report's review of Eagle 1 - came in first. I tried it and its a great product - also very gentle on the paint at a significantly lower price. I would actually rate them equally from a performance perspective with the only difference being price.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:37 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Surj and Alex,

There was a thread a week or two again about "Wheel Wax" and I posted this about the wheel cleaner I use.....

"Also, earlier in this thread, someone mentioned wheel cleaning, so I'll throw in my two cents. I use a product called "Carbon-X". It is a MIL spec cleaner that is used in aviation to remove exhaust stains, fuel deposits, oil and grease from painted aircraft finishes. It is safe and tested for ALL painted surfaces AND aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc. Any exotic metal or alloy. It can be purchased in 1 gallon containers and is diluted 20:1. I bought a gallon two years ago when I bought my car and still have not used it all. Carbon-X works great on my TT wheels. I also use it on the plane and it does just as good a job.

I purchase Carbon-X from Sporty's Pilot Shop on-line. It is available there in 1 gallon containers for $15.95. I've never seen it promoted in any industrial catalogs, but probably any aviation supply house would have it available.

No affiliation with Sporty's, etc., but their service is first rate. Small company, but hands down the BEST catalog store I've ever dealt with".

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:55 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the bantering STILL going on in this thread ??? It truly is disheartening to read the crap occuring here. I mean, C'mon, are we men or a bunch of silly broads arguing akin to finger nail polish ( painted calipers) ???

With that said....I have to chime in with my .02.

I am amazed at the amount of time some of us spend on these cars. Seriously, where do you find the time to paint your calipers ?? Do you not have any kids or a wife that requires your time, love, and attention ? How long did it take you to do this project ?? If I recall, you posted your car in front of your posh home......clearly you are a man of means. If the LOOK of Big Reds was so important to you...why not stroke a damn check and buy them ?? If you were to calculate your hourly worth, I bet the amount of time spent on the paint job would come close to buying the Big Red Calipers on their own. I for one would be hung by my ***** if I told my wife and two boys that I was going to spend a saturday afternoon painting my calipers. ALEX, you are a very lucky man Alex to have an understanding wife and family....

Ok Luke...you pissing off people again ?? I think you and I walk along the same tracks...but if a Porschephile wants to paint his calipers to look like the Big Reds....WHO CARES MAN ???????? You were talking SMACK on this board before you even owned a Porsche ....by the way....did they finish the tear down and clean on it yet ?? Hope you finally have it.......!! Either way, give the boys some slack on their choice/COLOR of mods would ya....?

Ok, I'm done. My .02 is more than spent.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Agro1
Banned

I hear ya Keith, and you make a good point about time spent vs. hourly wage...It seems though, that Alex paid someone else to remove his calipers

I have no problem with painting calipers friggin' PINK if that's what you like. But if you paint them red, don't post a picture of them and say:
Originally posted by akolodesh
DID SOMEONE SAY BIG RED?
SCREAMING in caps nonetheless...LAME.

They are done with the valve job and are putting the motor back into the car today. Shooting to have it all buttoned up by tomorrow so I can enjoy it this weekend. We shall see man - anxious is an understatement Thanks for asking dude...
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Dudley
Mike, Great look for your car! I love that MY02 5 spoke look.
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would be cool if we all voted on some new custom color for our calipers. Then we would know were from the same tribe and stop bitching. I just mounted (not in the literal sense) one of my new five spoke chrome wheels............and.........um my rotors and calipers..............um .....look a little naked!! I am thinking that an olive green would be very cool........or maybe that gray audi TT color.............or maybe.............

Quick Reply: PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!