993 Forum 1995-1998

PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 08:26 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JSQ
...When I see the red brakes on a 993TT it excites me....
you need to get out more often

Originally posted by JSQ
....The appeal of the color is inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power...
Actually the gains from switching to Big Reds are more from increased fade resistance than outright stopping power.

Your posts are quite long and verbose...and I get a slight headache from all the big words and long drawn-out sentences You wouldn't happen to be a doctor living in Salt Lake City would you?!?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Next time someone paints their calibers, please say in your post that your original color was chipped or something and that's why you painted them.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

akolodesh

Your calipers look great! Unfortunately, the childish comments will inevitably occur as our 993s become more affordable. Hopefully it doesn't lower to the level of the BMW boards. :-)
Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Alex,

I think the red calipers look great on your silver 993, especially with the Forgelines. You have good taste. Ignore the dolts. As David says, they really need to get out more.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If someone wants to repaint their calipers to look good then fine. Just remember that as Porsche is now doing yellow calipers you'll have to repaint them when this become the in-colour!

Keep the tirades coming as it makes us Brits lurking around feel all the more superior! ;-)

Cheers,

David
Old 04-27-2004, 09:58 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by JSQ

You would have us believe that those who find appeal in the painted calipers derive their enjoyment from the color alone and its coordination with the rest of the palette of their vehicle, but I find this doubtful at best. The appeal of the color lies in its direct association with the improved brake kit and the superior results it achieves.
These are your own assumptions. Don't assume what other people think. Color coordination or aesthetic "improvements" are actually for some including me very pleasing. On my track car I needed more brakes so I have the real thing. On my guards red cabrio I have more than enough brakes as it is and I'm going to paint the calipers red as well. I could have painted them yellow which signifies in your view better than red but that is not the point for me. That is why I have my steering wheel with red stiching, that is why I'm painting the hard backs of the sports seats red, that is why I installed a full Carbon Fiber interior. Because I like it. Some people would not be caught dead in a 993 with a carbon fiber interior. This is their choice and I respect that. The same is with the painting of the calipers and the key here is RESPECT.

You are new here and you need to learn that one of the things that we the members value is respect for each others opinions about certain things. While you can call someone if they post incorect data or info, you cannot make arrogant statements like that based on your assumptions. Try to be a constructive member and you will be welcomed here. Rennlist is a great place to be and it will not become a war of flames board if we can help it.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint looks good. Let us know what they look like after a few times on the track where you really heat the brakes up.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Alex..

They look great. Maybe I'll paint mine RED-WHITE-BLUE, post up pictures, and then see who posts...? My guess, that thread will have a whole different level of "opinions"... Of course - I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

In short - it's your Porsche - so I'm pretty sure they are your calipers - and therefore, it's your choice. Coupled with the fact that everyone knows RED calipers just plain work better ( ), again - your calipers look terrific...

Nice job..!!!!

Also - a question that Ray kind of raises.. Isn't there a special hi-temp caliper paint? I'm not sure if anyone has experience with that (either street and/or track), but I was wondering if that paint worked? Yes - my factory silver calipers do need to be re-painted...?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:41 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Alex,

Nice job on the RED Calipers!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:46 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I will keep a post of how the paint holds up under braking load. To the people that have responded positively to my post - thanks - it actually means a lot to me to know that other enthusiasts see some sort of positive in the attempt to create a more aesthetic look for our cars. Not everyone wants or needs to spend $1000's of dollars on upgrades they will not use to any significant extent. When I get to the point that big reds, ceramics, or any other type of upgrade is warranted, I will then go with that appropriate upgrade.
Painting calipers or doing any other aesthetic modification is not to "trick" people into believing something its not, its simply because I enjoy going into my garage and staring at the way they look behind the Forgelines.
I actually had someone in a 964 come up to me the other day to ask me about the "big reds". I immediately told him they were painted and provided him the info on who to contact to do it. I am proud to have created the brake look I wanted for the car at an affordable price.

Now my last comment is to you Agro1: I am not upset because this is a silly argument over brakes. The argument really is silly. I am upset because of the disrespect you show to me (and others - as I have seen your other inflammatory posts). You couch it in the guise of your sacred entitlement to your opinion. By that line of logic I could flame on your family or other loved ones and say "hey its just my opinion". That would be very wrong and I would never do it. Just because people are "entiteled" to their opinions, doesn't mean they are said in a vacuum. There are always consequenses to the words people utter (or type). There was absolutly no reason for you to start your original comments. If my painting my brakes upset you, you should have sent mac993 a pm telling him not to do it. There was no reason for your "small red" comment or you "say it ain't so" comment.
You attribute it to "banter". If you want banter get on Jerry Springer, you'll get plenty of your type of banter. I sunbscribe to discuss all things 993 in a curteous, respectrul and construcive manner with others on this site. To learn from others' achievements and mistakes and to get the most out of my p-car experience.
Since you're so fond of copying others' lines here is one for you agro1: "your mouth is about to write a check your *** can't cash." You are rude, crude and obnoxous. My issue with you is not about the brakes but your uncivil behavior. I will be sending you my contact information via pm. When you want to man-up give me a call and we will make the appropriate arrangements. I would hope that if you have any part of a gentleman in you, you will keep the remainder of our "discussions" private and of this board. Lets keep these public airways open for more constructive and informative dialogue.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Hi John,
I will get all the info from my mechanic and post it. The paint is holding up perfectly. The stencils work very well also. I am sure powder roating would work very well also, but this became an easier alternative.

Cahrera,

Thanks - TPC SC is next on my list - at that point I may just need the real "big reds"
Old 04-27-2004, 12:07 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

John D--Duplicolor just came out with a caliper kit
black yellow and red I think are the colors available.
I would guess it is some kind of high temp kit.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JSQ
[B]BS911,

. You would have us believe that those who find appeal in the painted calipers derive their enjoyment from the color alone and its coordination with the rest of the palette of their vehicle, but I find this doubtful at best.

BS911......perhaps, but apparently the Porsche factory marketing department might differ, given that they've offered caliper color as an option.......to me it seems like a harmless and, may i add nice looking contrast touch-up......maybe the right fix would be to label the big reds with a "Brembo" decal?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:35 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Alex and OG....!

With 18" wheels (it's a LONG story) rather then the Cup wheels I have/had, the silver calipers are kind of "tired" looking and are much more visible - so any info you can dig out would be much appreciated..!

Best to you!
Old 04-27-2004, 12:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are people who like things for pure looks and no “posing’ is intended. I have always admired good looking brake calipers as I think it really adds to the overall look of a car, especially with very open wheels. I have also always thought that some other car companies could do a better job with the looks of their calipers (BMW & MB come to mind). My thoughts had nothing to do with performance but purely looks. Personally I like red and yellow calipers because the area is dark and the bright colors look better and give good contrast.

To give further evidence…my wife, who BTW does not know any of the difference between any of the brakes offered by Porsche other than color, always comments that I should get a car with the red calipers because she likes the way they look. In fact while looking at GT3 equipped with PCCB she commented that she really didn’t like those at all. I explained the new technology (controversial parts deleted of course) and how they were really cutting edge…her comment…I like the red ones better…do they come in red?

Yes there are people who do things to “pose” however, who are they posing for? The people who don’t know can’t be impressed because they don’t know the difference and the people who know and could be impressed also know they are fake.

Which makes me wonder are some of the S cars posers? Widebody look without the go plant under the deck? Just so there is no confusion I don't think the S cars are posers but the reasoning of some could conclude that.

Quick Reply: PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!