Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Trey03
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

As I read through this amazing pile of testosterone, a few intelligent brain cells managed to fire. I recently bought a 96 993 cab in Iris blue with a mere 13,000 miles. Like most of us here I had loved the 911 practically since birth, however, my admiration stopped well before obsession (until I purchases one) In other words, I didn't know every option, model or spec available to man.

It is fair to say the majority of my love was founded on the aesthetics of the car and the 'implied' performance. I still love 348 Ferraris and other early 90's sports cars. Suffice it to say it isn't because they are the fastest 0-60 cars on the road or even the quickest around a track and certainly not because they stop on a dime. The point of my rambling is I had no idea that red calipers on a 911 were a performance upgrade. To be perfectly honest, I still wouldn’t know if it wasn’t for the vast amount of knowledge on rennlist. Despite this fact I still preferred the red calipers even then, clearly based on nothing other than ascetics…

So in conclusion it is ‘possible’ that a person could find a painted caliper appealing for no other reason than the look. Let’s face it, the only people obsessive enough to know you were trying to pose are the same people who know you are posing… So there would be no point trying to ‘fool’ people.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Lee
Can someone Photoshop this onto my car?
I tried...sorry Rick
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick Lee, Sorry I murdered your brakes Although mine is white, here they are on carrera wheels:
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick, Sorry don't have any close ups, but here's one more:
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Mike. How about silver and then red? I can't decide.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick, The yellow color I used to try and patch yours is too bright. IMHO, red is my choice for the color of your car. But here how the yellow should have looked like. If you have a straight side view pix of your, send it to me, and I'll try again.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004, 05:15 PM
JSQ
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David in LA,

Apparently, you have entered the discussion to participate in some sort of character sparring and to argue semantics.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, you find a passion for Porsches and their accoutrement a subject for derision. You suggest that any excitement over the prospect of improved performance indicates a lack of adequate stimulation in other arenas. How then is it that you come to drive this car and go so far as to participate in this online forum for recreation if you hold such enthusiasm in contempt?

You also make a feeble attempt to deconstruct my statement that the appeal of the color is inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power. You correctly state that the larger brake kit aids primarily in reducing brake fade. However, you incorrectly imply that this phenomenon is somehow separate and apart from the larger resultant increase in breaking capability as termed by myself as "stopping power." If your brakes are not susceptible to fading do they not retain more power? Does a brake under the duress of heat and prolonged use not lose some quotient of the force it can apply? To my mind a lack of fade and increased stopping power are one in the same.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Agro1
Banned

...again, very valid points tht I doubt anyone here can refute. Well done JSQ, keep'em comin
Old 04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JSQ
....Apparently, you have entered the discussion to participate in some sort of character sparring and to argue semantics....
Uhhmm., no...reading your posting really did give me a headache. FYI verbosity has no correlation with the quality of postings (unless you are trying to win points in Salt Lake City).

Originally posted by JSQ
...For reasons unbeknownst to me, you find a passion for Porsches and their accoutrement a subject for derision. You suggest that any excitement over the prospect of improved performance indicates a lack of adequate stimulation in other arenas. How then is it that you come to drive this car and go so far as to participate in this online forum for recreation if you hold such enthusiasm in contempt?....
Not at all...I have nothing against someone having a passion for Porsches nor do I hold such enthusiasm in comtempt (where did THAT come from?!?) But do your really get "excited" when you "see Big Reds on a TT" (your words)?!?! I'm afraid to ask what happens when you see Big Yellows?!?!

Originally posted by JSQ
....You also make a feeble attempt to deconstruct my statement that the appeal of the color is inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power....
If you are arguing that the appeal of the Big Red "look" is solely because of the performance of Big Reds and nothing at all to do with aesthetics then shouldn't those looking to repaint their calipers paint them yellow instead like the Turbo S?? (hey, why are they yellow on the Turbo S and not the "higher performance" red?)? Or better yet, shouldn't they be painted to look like Brembo's "Hand of God" big brake set...which (gasp!) are black? But then we'd have to stencil them "Brembo"

Originally posted by JSQ
....However, you incorrectly imply that this phenomenon is somehow separate and apart from the larger resultant increase in breaking capability as termed by myself as "stopping power." If your brakes are not susceptible to fading do they not retain more power?...
Well, okay since you have "termed by (yourself)" the term "stopping power" I guess you can define it whatever way you want...so my mistake. Since you are such an enthusiast I'm assuming that you are well aware that the performance gains from having Big Reds vs. Small Blacks on a street car are negligible, right? For street cars, I've always thought of increased "stopping power" with shorter stopping distances, but hey I guess fade resistance counts too.

The fact that Agro1 has commended you on the quality of your posting should be cause for introspection.

p.s. btw what Porsche or Porsches do you own?

Last edited by David in LA; 04-27-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:06 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Rick - Yellow looks good on your car. I have always thought carrera mike's yellow calipers looked great. Really stand out.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by akolodesh
I have always thought carrera mike's yellow calipers looked great. Really stand out.
Thanks for the kind words. I should have bought the stencils/stickers like you did though. Would have been neater ...there's always next time
Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by JSQ
To my mind a lack of fade and increased stopping power are one in the same.
Do you actually own a Porsche????

What does fade have to do with "stopping power" when you talk about the stock 993 brakes?

Have you actually run a 993 on stock brakes with ATE fluid, Pagid Orange or Blacks and cooling ducts????? Can you say fade free???

Brake fade yes is directly related to the heat accumulation, however a poorly ventilated space will have the same exact effect and result even if you increase the disk, pad, caliper surface. Not to mention materials used rims etc.
Brake fade and stopping power are separate phenomena and are treated seperately to provide maximum deceleration on a specific car. As a matter of fact switching outright to the TT brakes or commonly known as "big reds" on a narrow body 993 will have the OPPOSITE effect if you do not also change the brake proportioning valve. Even then there are not significant benefits as David points out with the exeption of been more resistant to fading due to the larger disk surface, which however does not mean that they will remain fade free so you are back to square zero with this logic. Stopping power is the rate of deceleration that brakes can perform which on certain circumstances it is directly related to the size, however it is also true that by increasing the brake size might not produce the desired effect as there are many other parameters that have to be thought of and accounted for.

At any rate my problem with you is that with 5 posts to your name you barge in here and assume that you know it all, proceed to insult the forum members and exibit ignorance which is stated by you as fact.
I would advise you to show some humility, learn and participate in a friendly manner before you state insulting opinions that have no base and are supported by unfounded assumptions and weak technical knowledge.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Agro1
Banned

Originally posted by David in LA
Well, okay since you have "termed by (yourself)" the term "stopping power" I guess you can define it whatever way you want...so my mistake. Since you are such an enthusiast I'm assuming that you are well aware that the performance gains from having Big Reds vs. Small Blacks on a street car are negligible, right? For street cars, I've always thought of increased "stopping power" with shorter stopping distances, but hey I guess fade resistance counts too.

David - Your reference to "street cars" cars is a very subjective comment given the contextual argument of Big Reds v. Small Blacks. You should realize that not all of us drive our "street" cars the same. It may be a street car, but there are others that can benefit from having Big Reds on the street, not just the track.

Originally posted by David in LA
The fact that Agro1 has commended you on the quality of your posting should be cause for introspection.
Yes, you may be right - but then that would be a very narrow-minded and bigoted statement to penalize JSQ becasue you disagree with me - or did you have a point ??
Old 04-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex/akolodesh, Where did you get your logos?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Agro1
....there are others that can benefit from having Big Reds on the street, not just the track....
If you are getting significant benefits from Big Reds while street driving you are driving way too fast and aggressive for public roads.

Originally posted by Agro1
Yes, you may be right - but then that would be a very narrow-minded and bigoted statement to penalize JSQ becasue you disagree with me - or did you have a point ??
I never said that I disagree with you....but your recents posts have given me headaches much like those from JSQ and mlincoln.

"Bigot"?

Quick Reply: PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!