PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:41 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JSQ
Apparently, you have entered the discussion to ... argue semantics. ... However, you incorrectly imply that this phenomenon is somehow separate and apart from the larger resultant increase in breaking (sic) capability as termed by myself as "stopping power." ... To my mind a lack of fade and increased stopping power are one in the same.
JSQ
Caveat: since I (apparently like you) have been schooled in pomposity, this might be long.

May I presume that since you have now entered the discussion to argue semantics you approve of that motive? I know you'll applaud my expression of opinion even though it's that either you're engaging in theoretical mental masturbation or you haven't a clue about the real world performance of "Big Reds."

For sane levels of street use Big Reds offer absolutely no performance advantage, but do add unsprung weight, increased pad replacement cost & if car magazine tests are to be believed, actually marginally increase stopping distances. They do look neat, but as I recall that's irrelevant for you.

I have never experienced any fade w/my "little blacks" even during 30 min track sessions in 100 deg temps, but then I drive like a, well, turtle. Therefore, for me (& many others w/similar experience), the Big Reds do NOT have any greater "stopping power" on the street or on the track. I think that's what David meant. Of course, I'd wager virtually everyone else here already understood that.

I will agree that the larger heat sink & contact area of the Big Reds offer real advantages for heavy braking track use. Maybe by greater "stopping power" you meant this theoretical advantage, meaningless to all but for a handful of Rennlisters who likely wouldn't be looking to you for guidance anyway. I guess it's just a matter of semantics.

Alex
I think your little reds look great. I also think Robin's look great. I don't recall anyone jumping on him about them adding credence to John's rhetorical question. Don't concern yourself w/Agrovator, he's already made many of the regular's "ignore" lists. We've had several prior versions over the years & they're all gone.

Proudly, some of my "poseur (?)" mods & true confessions:
Euro TT front bumper - actually not a Euro car & not a TT
Euro clear front turn lenses - actually not a Euro car
Turbo S ducts - actually not a TT S
ROW M030 springs/sways - actually not a ROW car
Catz HID lights look like Litronics - actually not Litronics
'02 Carrera 5 spokes - actually not an '02 or indeed any year 996
"Racing pedals" - actually not a real race car (although I sometimes sit in it, stir the gearbox & make zoom, zoom sounds)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Bigbartguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carrera Mike

http://xenonmods.com/porschedecal.htm

I just ordered some today!

Anything that causes this much controversy has to look good AND make your car stop faster.

Tim
Old 04-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Rick Lee, I just pasted these pix which I think kinda close to your color combination for the yellow calipers...although this a CGT

Tim, Thanks for the link. I'm ordering me a set and just re-touch my calipers so they could have the right decal colors..which should be black on yellow for me.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by JSQ
You also make a feeble attempt to deconstruct my statement that the appeal of the color is inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power.
Originally posted by JSQ
You would have us believe that those who find appeal in the painted calipers derive their enjoyment from the color alone and its coordination with the rest of the palette of their vehicle, but I find this doubtful at best.
Aside from the fact I know my wife prefers red calipers over black, yellow and silver because of the way they look, I decided to sample the opinions of others in my office to determine whether or not she was just an anomaly in that aesthetics make a difference to her. I did an unscientific pole of 6 co-workers (all knowing nothing about Porsche or Porsche brakes) by showing them pictures of black, red and yellow calipers and asked which one they liked. Results: 4 preferred the red, 1 preferred the yellow and 1 preferred the black. None of these people know anything about the performance, real or implied, by the color of the calipers, yet 4 choose the red. By taking the performance aspect out of the equation, the preference of one color over another can no longer be as you say “inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power” but instead is associated with the “look”.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Bigbartguy
Carrera Mike http://xenonmods.com/porschedecal.htm
I just ordered some today!
Anything that causes this much controversy has to look good AND make your car stop faster. Tim
Old 04-27-2004, 06:58 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default logos

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
Alex/akolodesh, Where did you get your logos?
Mike: here is there link: http://www.europdr.com/caliperstencil.htm. Excellent to work with. They were $24 including shipping. You put them on, spray white engine paint a few times and remove. Pretty easy.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:01 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Mike,
I think the difference between the xenonmods and these is that these do not stay on, but rather create the outline for the white paint. I guess its a preference issue. I will tell from my experience that the paint has been very durable up to this point.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haiku time?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dan,
Wise words from wise council.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:16 PM
JSQ
6th Gear

David in LA & DJF1,

I own a 1998 2.5L Boxster that has nearly 90k miles on it and is completely stock.

David in LA,

I'm well aware of the negligible gains produced by utilizing the big red brake kit on street use cars, specifically the 993 and Boxster. I have always been extremely impressed by the capability of the standard Porsche calipers which so easily outdo so many competitors' basic equipment. This fact speaks to the sufficient qualities of the standard brake kit and which leaves me further perplexed at the incessant need of some to emulate the appearance of an upgrade, which as you have so cleverly illuminated, might produce only minimal improvement in their specific usage were it the genuine article. Regardless, the fact remains that even if stopping power is specifically defined as braking distance, equipment which resists fade will result in consistently shorter braking distance under continuous use.

DJF1,

Like David in LA you have chosen to pursue a semantic argument revolving around the specifics of brake performance relative to various mechanical improvements. I can only assume that it is your belief that your misdirected dissertation will validate your subsequent opinions which are entirely personal and do not address the topic at hand. While I may well agree with the specifics of some of your experiences with brake modification you fail to compare them to the improvements gained by painting one’s calipers? Your final contention is that I have behaved inappropriately in earlier discussion. It seems to be your belief that only after an unstated period of quiet indoctrination should any participant contribute to the forum. You claim that I have pursued my line of thinking based on an assumption that I “know it all”, yet at no time have I purported to make such a claim. I have not attempted to qualify my statements with meaningless and irrelevant achievement or experience. Rather, I have sought to offer a point of view on the given topic and do my best to explain the source of my opinion and the logic which I have applied. You further misconstrue my reflections upon the actions of the participants as personal attacks or insults. Not once have I resorted to criticizing the character or intelligence of the posters through name calling or derogatory statements.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

A newbie you are
Found a friend in Agro1
Great way to start here

Old 04-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, Great look for your car! I love that MY02 5 spoke look. And if you put on 3-Piece 18" Forgelines - it is not the calipers that standout. Gorgeous wheel.

Now, I don't want to start any trouble but I am thinking of painting my M032 Olive Green Struts Bilstein Blue.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I drove your car
Argo1 like Airbag one
Big reds stop quick Cool!

Last edited by OldGuy; 04-27-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

verbosity here
devoid of helpful content
offers no value
Old 04-27-2004, 08:10 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

OldGuy I'm sorry
One syllable too many
Long posts rubbing off?

Quick Reply: PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!