Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another new car/member +pics

Hi guys,

First off I would like to just thank everyone here. Rennlist is a goldmine of information and really stokes the passion of Porsche. What other site could blur the lines of fiscal since and practicality so well. I think everyone here has a beautiful car in it's own unique way. Some of the new car stories are some of the best reading on here. I'm not much of a writer but here is my shot at it anyway. One other mention is Robin's site, so many answers to all my question, fantastic!

My Story: I previously had a 78 911sc for about 15years which I sold three years ago when I bought a house, with every intention of moving up to a 993. After doing the home remodeling last year it was time to start the search, not that I hadn't been looking one way or another the whole time. I found this sight last October and I have been 'lurking' around here ever since and it really reignited the desire to own another Porsche.

I constantly searched every available web site I could find since late last year and the car I ended buying was actually one that I had first seen when I started looking last year. Which at the time I though was a bit high in price but after looking at a few other cars it started to look more reasonable and it had a lot of what I wanted and was relatively close in location.

I got PPI done, everything checked out to my satisfaction and started to negotiate, which was rather nerve racking with the car being out of state. Then John from DC put his tt up for sale and I started to have some real second thoughts, it's a good thing he lives on the other coast! I'm also glad he decided to keep it, beautiful car!

After considering trailering the car back, I decided to enjoy the experience and drive back. On 3/26 myself and a friend flew from the Bay Area up to Portland to pickup the car. The car was much better in person than the pictures, it had 'the feel', 97 C4 3x black cab, 14k miles. We were out of Portland by 10am. I originally thought I might get tired so my friend could help drive back. Well needless to say that didn't happen in 640 miles. Only one ticket on the way back, and for those of you who think you get more tickets in red cars, in 15 years I never got a speeding ticket in my red sc.

The car is really awesome and I couldn't be happier. To be back in a Porsche and smell the Porsche smell. It is amazing how similar it is to my 78. To sit in it feels perfect. There is no other car! At least for me! Of course the girlfriend thought was nuts spending that much on an 'old used car'. But no complaints since I got it.

The only issues with it are that it has the super trick suspension setup with the original shocks in the front & Bilsteins in the rear and rims with wide body offsets. Talk about SUV height in on some of the cars, I think mine has monster truck clearance in the rear to clear those rims. But those are just opportunities to create my version of what a 993 should be. Let the modifications begin!

I'd post some pictures, but this is probably easier, a friend put on these pictures on his web site:
http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/Joe993/index.htm

Joe
Old 04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can twenty five views happen
and no one say hello?
nice looking cab joe
congrats.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:13 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Joe from one new member to another. Congrats on the cab!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! You are right about the ride height but that can be easily remedied. It really does look super clean. Congrats!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Joe, Welcome aboard!! Congratulations on your 993!
You should be emulated here, 4 posts and already a member! Already supporting Rennlist!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Joe..!

Congrats!!!! And welcome to Rennlist!!!!! Now - if you are looking for a set of factory shocks rather then the "trick" suspension you have - I'd be willing to part with my shocks for you.. Don't worry about all the leakage - after 114,000 miles - they probably all do that.. Heck - I'll even trade you even!!!

Seriously - nice looking C4 Cab...!!!!!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Joe:

Welcome ! Nice intro story.

FWIW, I am with you on the red thing. My only ticket's have been in black cars. For my sake, I hope that it holds true now that I have a yellow beast!

Regards
Old 04-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,
Nice ride! I love 3x black. I had a 91 C4 Cab and I loved it. I sold that one when I bought my house and I feel back home again in my 993. Welcome aboard. You are right.....Rennlist is an awesome resource.
Tony
Old 04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Welcome aboard, you should be a good addition to the family that is rennlist. BTW, you plan on selling those twists you have sometime in the future?
~Eyal
Old 04-19-2004, 08:13 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 68 Posts

very nice cabriolet !!

one complimentary photoshop lowering job coming up:

make that two

max
Old 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Welcome... Are you going to join us for the BAR drive this sat? It starts in Los Gatos and ends up on the 1 ( around san mateo ) for lunch.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:30 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

John,

I believe the leaking shock syndrome is the reason I have different shocks front & rear. But thanks anyway!

Max911,

Sweet! Can you do that with some turbo twists? That is the setup I'll be going for. I believe I found some PSS9's today.

Jeff,

Sounds like a plan, pretty close to me. What time are you guys meeting?
Old 04-19-2004, 08:42 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Joe S.
John..... I believe the leaking shock syndrome is the reason I have different shocks front & rear. But thanks anyway!
See - I can give you leaking shocks for the rears as well - so it all would match right up..!!!

Let me know - they would be "my gift" to you..!!!!

Seriously - welcome to Rennlist!!!!!

Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eyal,

I'll be selling the rims that are on the car in the picture, they are Techarts that will fit a widebody. If you mean the turbo twists rims on the web site, those were just some I was looking at to buy, still looking...

Quick Reply: Another new car/member +pics