Sponsored by:

I am getting screwed eveyday

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:30 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am getting screwed eveyday

Been working on my car for months a little bit eveynight after work.

First thing first.
I need to know what are the part numbers are for the rear Brake dampners or anti squal pads for a 1998 993 Cab sporting the 4 piston black brakes? I also need the part number to the rear pad wear indicators. I bought some parts from Pelican and they are all wrong. Wrong sizes and lengths of my pad indicators are too short, which makes me wonder if Pelican knows these cars. Not flaming on them, but I have got many wrong parts so far.

Number two,
Went to do the belt replacements and the previous owner like eveything else he did f'd this up too. The alternator shaft is stripped and really screwed up. I bought the porsche tool to do the belts, but it wont help on a stripped shaft as i relaized I had a stripped alternator shaft last night. Do they sell a replacement shaft, or do I need to weld a high grade bolt on the end with allen head to get this to work for me again? I hate to weld on the armature of the Alternator. So many things can go wrong.

My car has been a nightmare, nothing was maintained prior to me, and what ever was done aside from the Clutch at the dealer and calve cover gaskets, It was done with cheap parts and bad mechanics. I am really pissed. On top of eveything, this car is really hard to work on, or at least requires some serious amounts of patience. I might just finish putting it together and sell it.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure you have a 993, Gary?
Old 04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow... who pissed in your wheaties?

....that has to be the most negative thing I read today..

Anyway, ON the brake dampners.... Unfortunately, these are VERY easy to mess up.. when I did mine, the computer supposedly had all the right part numbers yet it was still the wrong parts.. I ended up taking the old ones into the dealer to compare them to get the right ones.. I don't know why this is but it is.

You might also want to look into www.europeanautomotive.com and call them up for the parts: They've been really good to me in the past with ordering all sorts of porsche 993 related stuff.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on your other issues.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Gary.. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how frustrating it is when parts don't fit. I waited about 2 weeks to get spark plug wires, had to send them back twice, then eventually just used the old ones!

First suggestion is to get a PET cd. That has all the part #'s that you need as well as diagrams. This ensures that you can get all the correct part #'s. The people at the counter don't really know that much and they welcome it if you have a part #. Makes their job easier and makes sure you get exactly what you want.

About the alterantor, unless you can get the shaft fixed very cheaply, I'd just replace it all together. They are about $200 for remanuf ones. You can also check www.partsheaven.com too for a used one.

And if you don't have a set of the shop manuals, I'd recommend that you get one too. Lots of tips/tricks to doing things. And just as you get more familiar with the car, that'll save a lot of time too. I can do somethings in about 1/10th the time it took me to do initially.

Are there any other rennlisters in NYC that can help you out?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:19 PM
garychios
Pro

Thanks for the kind words. Thank god for rennlist. It helps alot.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

"I am getting screwed eveyday"

I thought I was going to be jealous before reading your post......

Anyway-best of luck. You'll soon have everything worked out and you'll be proud of your efforts as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:31 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts

sorry to hear about the stripped shaft

the part number for the rear contact sensor should be:

993 612 365 01

Check your PM box in a few minutes; I will send a diagram for the rear caliper dampners that may help you out.

good luck,

max
Old 04-16-2004, 05:29 PM
SLVR
Pro

Where does one get the PET CD? DO dealers sell them or after market suppliers. Thought it might help here to mention source.

Good luck with the alternator, looks like a tedious job to replace from P-car.com.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

"I am getting screwed every day"

I thought that was a good thing ? No ?

Hang in there. Before you know it, you'll have it all back together correctly. Then you can really enjoy the friuts of your labor !
Old 04-17-2004, 12:54 AM
garychios
Pro

Thanks everyone. Alternator is out today. The shaft ios def stripped. Taking it to my welder tomorrow. Cant get the fan off yet. Will try tomorrow. Getting the fan and cowl powder coated silver for a clean durable look.

Thanks for everyones help. Joining Rennlist this weekend
Old 04-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

garychios

I bought a damaged '97 Cab and had worked done on it over 4 months. At times I felt like you; Is it worth it and I'll sell it when I am done. After driving it for several months I realize I'll only get rid of it to upgrade to a 993 2S or TT. These are great cars and worth your effort. And I too will join Rennlist this weekend. The folks on it have been great and the info gleaned here is priceless.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Gary,

Be patient when working on these cars...you are right they are often tough to work on and usually require 2 elbows on each arm to service them (credit to Mr. Anderson for that statement). Anyways I had a partially stripped alternator shaft. I think the PO did not use a 12-point tool but a Torx bit on it...rounding and bending all the internal splines. I ordered the correct Porsche tool but did not use it...I went out and bought the 10mm 12-point tool and gently used it, a sand hammer and a very fine file and eventually had the proper tool fully imbedded into the shaft. It helped that the engine was out of the car. It works fine now.

I also used a 3 way pulley-puller to get the fan off the shaft. Don't use a hammer...it could damage the alternator bearings. My bearing on the fan was noisy so I took the opportunity to change it over to a RS setup, that works great and eliminates one belt and makes the belt adjustment really easy. I had to use my shop press to get the fan off the bearing assembly...but the RS one just slipped right on, go figure.

Anyways, having had the engine, tranny and suspension out of the 993 using my home shop with no hoist I can attest that these cars are not easy to work on...but most things can be worked on with some patience. However you are allowed to swear and curse the German engineers who designed some of the stupid stuff you will encounter!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
garychios
Pro

I really appreciate all the positive feedback. I am going to keep her after reading some PM's. Anyway, I got the alternator and housing out of the car. I want to replace the alternator, but cant get the fan off the armature shaft. Argh, tried and its been really bad. Took it to a mechanic with no luck either. Anwyay. Going to try a gear puller once I get 5-6" 6mm 1.0 thread bolts. I am going to try and pull the fan out, and get the fan shroud and fan powder coated glossy black al;ong with the fan in powder coat silver. With a new/rebuilt alternator with a good shaft, new bearings and all new powder coated stuff, she may have some extra miles in her. Everything I am doing is for maint and cosmetics. Its been a long journey and the difficulty is high, but it can be fun when everything comes together. Right now she is on the floor, and looks really mean with a 1.5" drop. Car looks sooo much better already with red calipers and droppped.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Hang in there. The car is certainly more difficult to service than a typical car, but the positive aspects of ownership make it well worth it.

Last year, a local independent shop stripped my alternator shaft when installing the pulley update. We didn't know it until the pulley halves separated, shearing the belts about 400 miles from home on a road trip. They ended up replacing the alternator at their expense.

DIY ala 993 can be a lesson in frustration sometimes, but at least you'll know the work is done right, and learn about the engineering and mechanics of your car in the process.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:49 AM
garychios
Pro

I wish I had the mechanic who stripped mine change my alternator to a new one. I have to pay for all these parts.

I still cannot get the fan off. its really stuck on the shaft

Quick Reply: I am getting screwed eveyday