Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LAURIER
Agro,

My C2S came from the factory with red calipers (option code XRD for $1200 extra), standard size. On some cars the red calipers just look better and on other cars black or silver calipers look better. My car is exactly what it is, original.
Thanks Laurier. I had forgotten about this option. Now I can paint my calipers and still be a stock configuration. I also like the look of the red calipers.

Agro1, I track my car and then clean it - Streets of Willow next Monday, OCR White Gloves/Huntington Beach Concours on June 6th.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:00 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,961 Likes on 2,812 Posts

FWIW, Porsche supplies the identical calipers on the 996 C2/4 and on the Boxster S and they're black on the Carrera and red on the Boxster S...
Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Grant G, Not change the subjet or anything but how did you like your 944 turbos'. I'm thinking about buying one to be my everyday ride and keep the 993 for fun days. Your thoughts??
Old 04-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say do whatever makes you enjoy the gearhead thing the most.

And by the way, can't you order calipers in different colors when you order a Porsche? I bet they would paint them pink if you would pay for it...
Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

I painted mine yellow because I just like that look.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dale - You missed the point I afraid. I never said aftermarket mods should not be done. And yes, mine is currently having a few different mods installed while the motor is out - PERFORMANCE MODS that make it faster, stronger etc...I don't believe in modifications that make one's car look like something it's not. Painting one's brakes doesn't make you stop faster, however an aero kit on the other hand does have some aerodynamic advantages...That's what my .02 is worth.

Matt - my sentiments exactly, stealth...

WildWillard - What exactly am I posing to be ? A member ?? It's very clear I am not (yet) so what's your point ? Nice try.

Now where'd I put those damn vise grips
Old 04-15-2004, 10:32 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Carrera Mike - nice look with the Yellow. I have been thinking about powder coating to either Yellow or Red. I called the company that did Robin Sun's car (see the link in p-car.com), but they were not interested in doing it. They said it wasn't a profit center for them, they didn't know when they could get to it, blah, blah blah... The point is that when I spoke to places that could do it around where I live, they wanted to take everything apart in order to put the caliper in the oven (not a cheap proposition - by that time I would rather just get the Big Reds). So the next option is now painting. What type of paint should you use, any special techniques, etc...? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Alex
Old 04-15-2004, 10:48 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Agro,

My C2 narrow body has the TT bumper, is lowered 1", and has the bumperettes removed front and rear. So I'm a poser?

The mod that I've done are to make a good looking car look better. My calipers are black, but I'd paint them red or pink or yellow if I thought it would look better against Arena Red.

Why don't you let people enjoy their cars as they seem fit and stop your stupid ******* comments? Rich's car is a work of art and if he enjoys owning it and showing it, who are you to tell him to "drive it a little more as it was "originally" intended."

You and Doc Lincoln make me want to avod visiting this forum. Well, at least Doc payed the membership fee. Gotta give him credit for that....
Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm helping a buddy with this project right now and we'll be reassembling this Sunday. ASC in Manassas, VA charged around $230 to powder coat the calipers. I think I have some friends who can do it much cheaper, but haven't gotten around to it yet with my car. Add another $60 or so for new dust seals, say two can of brake fluid and this whole job is gonna come in at just over $300. It took me about 90 min. to get the car jacked up and remove all four calipers. I assume reassembly will take a little longer, since I'll be tying off sensors and reinserting pads. But I'll post results and photos on Monday.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, here's how mine will look when I do powder coat my calipers.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Agro1
Banned

Originally posted by mike cap
Agro,

My C2 narrow body has the TT bumper, is lowered 1", and has the bumperettes removed front and rear. So I'm a poser?

The mod that I've done are to make a good looking car look better. My calipers are black, but I'd paint them red or pink or yellow if I thought it would look better against Arena Red.

Why don't you let people enjoy their cars as they seem fit and stop your stupid ******* comments? Rich's car is a work of art and if he enjoys owning it and showing it, who are you to tell him to "drive it a little more as it was "originally" intended."

You and Doc Lincoln make me want to avod visiting this forum. Well, at least Doc payed the membership fee. Gotta give him credit for that....
Now I'm an ******* for expressing my opinion ?? If you don't like what I have to say Mike, then don't read it. And FWIW, I've already paid my membership, 2 years to be exact. So I'd suggest using a little restraint or it's gonna be a looooong 2 years

Rick - Your cars looks fantastic man, is that the AeroKit 1 front splitter ?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

The red caliper thing doesn't bother me but the turbo badging does. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. Personally, I couldn't deal with having them red if they're not Big Reds but I don't impose that rule onto others. I did ended up getting a set of Big Reds and loved them at the last DE, though I'm not sure the cars that had me on their rear because of my late braking appreciated it as much!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

PO installed front splitter. Not sure what it is. See another angle.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Agro1
Now I'm an ******* for expressing my opinion ??
Yes, you're an ******* for expressing your opinion, since your opinions are stupid and annoying.

Red calipers are factory options on std brakes. So shut up already.

Every forum has its [annoying posters]; here its Agro1 and mlincoln.

Quick Reply: Caliper painters you are in luck