Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geeze. Lighten up Francis.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eric86Red911
Yes, you're an ******* for expressing your opinion, since your opinions are stupid and annoying.

Red calipers are factory options on std brakes. So shut up already.

Every forum has its [annoying posters]; here its Agro1 and mlincoln.
Sorry if my opinions offend your fragile ego, Eric. It doesn't seem like I am the only one here that has a problem with painting calipers to look like something they aren't. Go spew somewhere else jerkoff.

Originally posted by Rick Lee
Geeze. Lighten up Francis.

"Don't call me Francis"
"Any you ******* touch my stuff - I'll kill ya"
Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Agro1
Banned

TIM !!! You rock man, AWESOME !!!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Rick -

Why are you moving the calipers to the rear of the wheels?

Greg H.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:31 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argo -

I could be a REAL short two years for you if you don't watch your language and you get BOOTED.

Expressing your opinions is one thing, doing it in a way that is offensive is another matter.

People who are insecure are typically the ones who call others names before they can be called the name first - for example, someone could call you a poser for having the "never lift" signature - implying that you are some sort of racer, or someone could call you a poser for that avitar, or someone could call you a poser for the skidpad comment (what ever that was supposed to mean)

bottom line - saying that someone is doing a mod on his car makes him a poser on a board which is about cars, the modifications and fun they have with them is IDIOTIC.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Agro1
Banned

For the record Willard, I "held my tongue" until Eric and Mike started spewing the "*******" comments. Calling someone an A-hole and calling someone a poser are two entirely different things. You can call me poser if you like and I'll ignore it, just as one should ignore me if they don't like my opinion. But like I said before, it seems others here agree with my, "opinion". However, call me an *******, and your gonna hear about it.
Get your facts stratght before you make inaccurate statements.

EDIT -

Regarding my sig line. It was a famous quote made by Antonio Ascari shortly before he was killed in the French GP, July 1925. It was a turning point for the Alfa's and gave rise to some of the first Ferrari GP cars that were originally, Alfa's.

Last edited by Agro1; 04-15-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Agro, I don't know how much experience you have in online communities like Rennlist, but the most important suggestion is to know when to stop. Even if you feel in the right (and for the record, I do agree with you to some extent in this case), it is vitally important to not get into flame fights.
A month from now nobody will remember who said what, but you will remain the main participant in many people's minds.

The preceeding free advise was dispensed based on 16+ years of similar experience. Yes, way before Mr. Gore invented Internet and we had to use Digital Notes.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Agro1
Banned

I hear ya Mike, and I appreciate the advice, your are 100% correct - I was just setting the record straight.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:23 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Ok - now that everyone has made nice, lets get back to the fun part of this thread: those awesome colored calipers!! I will be very interested in reading peoples' notes on paint used, tips, tools, etc..
thanks all
Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by nile13
way before Mr. Gore invented Internet
Gore never said that. However, I'm still waiting for those WMD.

Greg H.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:38 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Mr. Agro,
I was the one who posted immediately after your comment about red brakes and as I said "I don't want to start a fight here" .
As a comment I also really like your avatar and your punchline "NEVER LIFT". As a matter of fact I violated your copyright over last weekend when I was showing my (new to me) car to my sister and my son when they came for Easter weekend. I let them drive and was trying to get them to be a little more aggressive out here on our rural "Porsche braking and cornering demonstration road". "Never Lift" I cried but neither one quite got the nerve.
Just how did you get that speed reading on the radar sign ?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Agro1
Banned

Lex - yeah, not lifting is an aquired, um, I wouldn't call it "skill", more like an aquired psychosis

That picture was taken (by a friend, yes I have permission to use it) out in the desert somewhere in CA...
Old 04-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, well while we're at it, they should overturn Roe v. Wade, legalize concealed carry in every state and most of all, totally ban putting that red and blue "M" logo on non-M-series BMW's! Serenity now!!!!

Flame away....
Old 04-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by akolodesh
...So the next option is now painting. What type of paint should you use, any special techniques, etc...? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Alex
Alex, I'm glad to help. There are different ways to do it, but this is how I did mine. $8 for paint, $3 for sand paper, $3 for thinner and $ 1.5 for masking tape.

I chose to use the 'High Temp Engine Block Paint', yellow for me, which you can purchase in any auto part stores.

Ad you see from pix above, remove remove the wheel and mask where you don't want over spray to on to.

-Sand the calipers lightly enough to kill the gloss. All I need is enough sanding for the new paint to have good adhesion. Mine are purely cosmetic so I didn;t bother in painting the back of the calipers, you can;t see that side anyways.

-Mask the fluid lines and whatever part of the caliper you don't want the paint to get on to.

-Wipe the area you are going to paint with thinner thoroughly. Purpose of this is to remove any oil from the surface that will cause 'orange peel' or poor paint adhesion.

-Shoot the first coat real light. Pretend that you're are spraying paint on a news paper so you'll still be able to read through it. That's how light the first coat should be. Let it dry for at least half an hour.

-Then shoot a coat again, this time to see the solid color(i.e. yellow). Let it dry for at least 2 hours.

-Then, feel the paint to ensure it's not tacky anymore and it's fully dry. Shoot the third coat, thich enough to give you that right gloss effect.

-If you really want it to be glossy, get the clear coat high temp paint, and shoot it,lightly with just 1 coat.

For 4 calipers, this is a whole day job, just due to the drying time you have to allow.

1 thing I should have done is buy that stencile that they sell in ebay of the "PORSCHE" logo($12 i think), all you have to do is stick it there after the paint is fully dry. (What I did on mine is just masked the old logo, so now I have this rectangular black box which contain my original logo)
Old 04-15-2004, 05:11 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argo -

I am somewhat dubious about the validity of the picture - it was all over the net last year, posted on numerous sites... (http://www.kick-asscars.com/pics/funpics/speed-167.htm for one and your "consumptionjunction.com" as another)

I am also familiar with the origins of the quote - typically, when quoting someone, you give them credit.

Quick Reply: Caliper painters you are in luck