I just saw on two guys garage on SPEEDTV that
duplicolor is coming out with a caliper painting kit
Black Red and Yellow. Hope this was not
already posted.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this 2 part paint on ebay; it went on easily and has held up great for about 6 months. I haven't done any DE's yet (hopefully I'll have time in June), but so far it hasn't shown any sign of heat hurting it. I drive through mountains a fair bit too, so the brakes get their share on road heat at least. The picture was taken 2 days ago.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

O.K. Mark - how in the heck do you repaint the calipers and keep the "Porsche" logo? If you tell me you used white paint and a real stedy hand, I'll be impressed!
Bob
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand if you need to paint your calipers, they look great all nice and shiny. But if you don't have the Big Reds; why paint your calipers to LOOK like Big Reds ?? I've noticed alot of guys doing this and find it a bit strange. What's next, badging a normal C2 as a Twin Turbo ???? Not trying to start a flame here guys, I just find it very "poser" to paint black calipers to look like Big Reds. Just my .02...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Benton
Drifting

I guess to each his own; I would find it repulsive to see a C2 badged as a turbo. I did it for the same reason I removed my bumperettes- for looks. I think it's pretty funny when car illiterate people ask me what the red things are behind my wheels. It also sets my car apart from other 993's, although there are only 3 I know of in my county of around 100,000.

I painted the logo on by eyeballing another logo. Took me about 10 min. per wheel. I work well with my hands....

Just kidding--it is a decal I bought off ebay. It has lasted the same amount of time.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Agro1
Banned

Point well taken, and don't get me wrong - they look great painted red. I just think there are other things that can seperate a 993 from the crowd rather then making it look like something it ain't.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am thinking about doing it my self, not because I'm trying to fool others into thinking the brakes are big reds (ala badging a c2 as a TT) but simply because I think the red calipers look good. Just my $.02
Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agro,

My C2S came from the factory with red calipers (option code XRD for $1200 extra), standard size. On some cars the red calipers just look better and on other cars black or silver calipers look better. My car is exactly what it is, original.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Agro1
Banned

Laurier - That's great for you, now maybe you shoud drive it a little more as it was "originally" intended and stop cleaning it You have a goregous car, no doubt, now take it out on a nice wet, oily skidpad and let the backend hang out.

My point was not to detract from the aesthetic value that red calipers have, I already stated that they look great. But if they didn't come red from the factory and they ain't Big Reds, why make'em look like something they aren't ? Ok fine, red calipers look good - but does the aesthetic inprovement make up for poser status ? I think not.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
lexpilot
Racer

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I really like the appearance of the red calipers. I'm considering doing it to my silver 996 coupe when I can get the time. But I would never consider installing a spoiler or aero kit, etc. So I guess we all have a different idea of what is a "poser" look and what is not.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agro1,

Live and let live or modify and let modify or don't. If someone wants to paint or powder coat their calipers red or any other color then who cares? What's the difference between bolting on big reds for a street-only car or wheels that came from another model and painting the calipers? We are all free to modify our cars to our own liking. Personally, I think calipers in red look great just like you.

Hank
Old 04-15-2004, 01:16 AM
jz993
Racer

Hank, I agree 100%
Agro, "Unclench, Maynard"
Old 04-15-2004, 01:31 AM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Argo - kinda like posting on rennlist and not being a member...

poser or not?

d
Old 04-15-2004, 01:39 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Agro1,
Post some pictures of your car for us. Are you saying that your car doesn't have one single mod that wasn't original from the factory? I'm confident that over 90% of everyone on this board has done some sort of mod other than what was original equipment from the manufacturer. This includes everything!
Carbon fiber pieces, wings, spoilers, brake fluid, clutches, air filters, tires, seats, wheels, suspension.... do I need to go further?

Watch "The Fast and Furious" mods are in and here to stay.

So what is your 2 cents worth now?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hell, if I had Big Reds I'd be painting them black!

Quick Reply: Caliper painters you are in luck