Sponsored by:

OT: Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OT: Audi S4

Well my 993 is officially sold It definitely was a sad day (actually considered backing out of the deal but in the end that is not my style). I will be back in the 993 ranks with 993tt in a few years. For know I am trying to decide what to replace it with (once I got my first Porsche I said I would always own one). I have a couple of different options I am exploring. One of which involves getting a 944 Turbo or 944S2 as a track car/DE car and getting a reasonably fun daily driver. This leads me to my question about the S4.

I remember reading a while ago that some here are current or former owners of S4's. I am considering a used S4 as a daily driver. I need some opinions from those who have experience with these cars on driving impresssions, daily driving, maintenance and durability. Also any advice or tips on what to look for and inspect when looking at these cars. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife's A4 avant (tiptronic) with the sport package is a blast and goes through anything!!!!!!!! I am sure the S would be even more fun!! There seems to be a lot of used A4s on the market so you have many choices.
Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

I had an '01 S4 for a short while. Next to having 3 911's the S4 impressed me the most out of all the cars I've owned. Fit and finish is second to none. Interior was very very nice. Instruments light up really nice at night. Wonderful in the rain. If I needed a sedan I would get the new B6 model. The B5 models have had problems with the turbos blowing. Not sure if it's because of people chipping them or if they have shoft lfe spans. The new Audi's are head over heels better then the old models. They stand out in a sea of beemers too. I prbably would still have the car but I had a problem with headroom in that car too.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:09 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S4 is a rocketship. Love the twin turbos... I happen to have one with RS4-look & over $20k in mods (10k mi.); if you ever decide to buy, it's available.

Lee in D.C.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '01 S4 (mostly stock) and it is a blast to drive. Very predictable in the snow and rain and it has a real rear seat and trunk!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: OT: Audi S4

Originally posted by bet
I remember reading a while ago that some here are current or former owners of S4's.
Here's the S4 discussion from a while ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=104166
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 PM
hatchy
Racer

I, too, have a '01 S4 and I love that car. I only have about 28K on mine, no issues aside from a leaky washer fluid tank, which was taken care of by Audi. The tiny K03 turbos are extremely responsive, and for daily driving and some weekend fun, this car is excellent. I wouldn't track this car, because it understeers and is a little on the heavy side, but as a daily driver, I'd highly recommend it. The interior is typical Audi--fantastic.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
993C4
Instructor

I bought a 2001 S4 3 months ago to replace my E36 M3 3.2L (needed the 4 doors for convenience due to newborn).

The S4 in stock form is a great highway cruiser, soft and luxurious and has a very torquey engine, great for overtaking but it's not brutally fast. Power delivery is great until 5,000rpm and it runs out of breath. The boost peaks at 0.8bar and tapers down to 0.5bar near redline. Of course this can all be transformed with after market chips, exhausts, larger turbos etc but that's a different story all together.

The biggest complaint I have with the S4 are the suspension and brakes. I'd dare say the stock S4 suspension is softer than a BMW 330i and the brakes are soggy. I've since change them to Bilstein/H+R and Stoptech brakes which are much much better. The gear shift also requires some getting used to. It's a little rubbery and the throw is very long.

There are of course big pluses such as the quattro drive train, and the built quality is top notch, as all audis are.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase as it serves my purpose. It's my family car and there's enough power for spirited drives and it's comfortable for the family on long road trips.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I also have an S4 (2000), and have chipped, suspended, braked, and short shifted it. I think it is a great car. I've had it on the track a few times, when the weather was not 993 friendly, and have been extremely impressed. I have also been passed by a heavily modified one while on the track in my 993. It can be made into a MONSTER.....I love to drive it on the highway. It is my daily driver. If you buy one, I would STRONGLY recommend buying from a dealer and getting an extended warranty. The repairs can be of P-car proportions. They are fairly technologically sophisticated, much more so than the 993. The quality of the local dealer and his reputation would dictate, for me, whether to buy one or not. If you are in Indianapolis, there is an Audi Club Chapter there. Scott Childress is the person to talk to about the quality of the local dealer. Please feel free to say that I recommended that you talk to him.

Chuck
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 PM
jla3317
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am another satisfied bi-turbo 2001 S4 owner. There are almost 45K miles over almost 4 years. No major problems. My S4 is a lot of fun to drive and has been very durable. I have made no mechanical modifications or enhancements. In looking for a good used one I would look at the owner and maintenance records. It seems like a lot of S4 owners "chip" their engines for more power. If maintenance is kept up, a lower miles '01 or '02 S4 should be a good choice. The '00 S4 [first year of the bi-turbo] seemed to have more maintenance issues which lead to redesigns from Audi. BTW, when I was looking for my 993 I drove a 996 and did not like it as well as my S4! Heresy, I know. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:17 AM
jstahmann
Advanced

S4s are a complete blast! I had an Imola Yellow 2000 S4 before my 2003 A4 Avant & 97 C2S.

You can pick up a good used S4 now for the mid $20k range and have a lot of fun with it.

The old (B5) S4 has had some problems with the turbos blowing out. Some blame Audi, some blame the chip tuners. I had multiple ECUs for my S4 so I could change the programming for different events or street use. The turbos themselves are relatively cheap to purchase replacements, but to replace the turbos the engine has to come out, and that's pretty expensive - Warranty cost was in the $10k neighborhood.

Stock, the suspension is pretty soft, but some new springs and struts and you'll be in good shape. The 2000 S4s were geared slightly differently than the 2001-2002s. Also, the 2000 models don't have ESP - Audi's Stability Management. There was a sport appearance package offered that included Alcantara (pseudo suede) seat inserts and aluminum interior trim on the 2000s and added aluminum mirrors for 2001-2002.

The new (B6) S4 has had a lot of problems with the engines and manual transmissions. Audi has been buying back cars from customers very quietly. I know the local Audi dealer has 2 new S4 sedans on their used lot that have had the engines replaced, and one that has had it's transmission replaced. A press fleet S4 Avant I was scheduled to review this winter never made it to me because it was in the shop with a destroyed transmission for months.

The new S4 has a much improved suspension and feel about it and the V8 is a blast to drive. The Turbo thrust of a tuned B5 S4 is awesome as well.

I'd love another S4. I raced mine on the Bonneville Salt Flats and was the first Audi to make it into the Bonneville 130 club. I also instructed at many driving events with mine. I miss mine at times, but I have the two cars that I figure can take the place of the S4 - a new A4 Avant and a C2S.

John

AudiWorld.com Contributing Editor

Old 04-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a 2002 S4 Avant. No mods. Great daily drive. The prices have fallen on these fine cars are there are some good deals out there. The below link to AudiWorld is another good forum with a lot of info.

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/s4.html
Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Look into the Audi CPO program "Audi Assurance". It is one of the better warranty programs out there. You must buy from a dealer, and the local one that I have been using has provided terrific service (they are also very active in racing-McKenna/Jobe). If you buy a 2001 model, you will have another 4 years/100k warranty. The first 50k everything (including oil changes) is covered.

Although I only have the 1.8L turbo, it has been great as a daily driver. I drive at least 100 miles a day and wanted something that was comfortable, safe, fun and gets great mileage (avg 28).
Old 04-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 513 Posts

I just upgraded from a '99 1.8T to a '00 S4 about 4 weeks ago and immediately installed the ABT/AMS chip. What a great daily driver with super stereo (+ Phatbox). With a 1.8T badge on the back it's a great "sleeper" car. Suspension is on the soft side and brakes are the only thing I am really disappointed in. I bought from an Audi dealer and have 2 years Audi assured warranty. Based on experience with my 1.8T I'll need it. Check out audiworld.com for more info. The S4 engines are bullet proof if properly maintained - even chipped. Car theft seems to be a big problem on S4s. Get a good aftermarket alarm system or kill switch. Still can't wait to get the 993 out of winter storage. I think both cars make a good combo.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like my 2000 S4, but a few problems:ABS controller failed, water pump failed and a fog light exploded. Audi responded after I "SCREAMED" about my premature problems. Post warranty repairs were pricey! Overall, I still like the CAR!!

Quick Reply: OT: Audi S4