OT... Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:04 AM
aap
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OT... Audi S4

The lease is up on the Lexus.
I am ordering an 04 Audi S4. (340HP). Yet no local dealers have one to drive. Anyone driven one? The book says 0 to 60 in 5.4....What's "ours" do zero to sixty (98 C2?)? ..... (The tire thread was great!!!! Thanks to all who participated!)
Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool cars for sure...

IMHO the new S4 is nothing to be awe struck over. Don't get me wrong. They are wonderful cars! But that much money for a car that doesn't really have the pub talk numbers (acceleration) doesn't make me giddy?

I've driven a new one but for $50k+ it didn't make me jump. The midrange is fantastic and the exhaust/engine note is lucious. Seats are some of the best. Interior is gorgeous.

Have you driven a Mercedes Benz C32. One of the most impressive cars I've driven in a long time. I almost bought that MB doesn't import the wagon.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go the proper site: www.audiworld.com, then click on "Audi Forums", then "S4 (B6 Chassis)". Plenty of owner info - and reliability feedback to scare the bejessus out of you.

(Been thinking about getting one in a few years to replace my A4 Avant, but spending $50K+ on a daily driver is scary. Plus am ticked about paying like $1000+ "gas guzzler tax" when some moron who buys a giant SUV land barge that gets less mileage doesn't have to pay it).
Old 12-17-2003, 01:31 AM
Kitch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven one on a few occasions.
The dealer drive I took didnt say much.

I also drove a friends Avant once it was broken in so i could put it through its paces. If you want a car for two people (and two small children) and a fair amount of stuff it would probably be an excellent car. The motor does sound great and it builds speed at an alarming and deceptive rate. Keep your eye on the speedo. Ride is very comfortable and the car is quite solid. Interior is really the cars best selling point. Audi continues to make some of the best interiors out there. The materials and overall design are spectacular.

As a "performance car" its a bit lacking to be honest. Most of this comes from the fact that its a big fat pig at close to 4k pounds. It's got plenty of grip and a well tuned suspension, but I really couldnt get past the feeling of hauling around a ton of weight.

50k seems a bit excesive for the car, but thats just me, I guess its just a fact of life these days for "prestigous" (sp) cars.

The Ultra Sport package on the 1.8t (and i think 3.0 cars also) is a far better bargain and results in a better handling (and looking) car. Just not blindingly fast.

Anyway, try to find one to drive first. I guess it really comes down to what you need a car to do.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sat in one-they have a really nice interior-nice details, etc. Never driven one but had heard similar views regarding price and performance.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:17 AM
aap
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback.
Yea, the gas guzzler tax is a total joke...(?for what?). nota_troll, the MB C-32, Does that come in manual? Any other favorites you fellow Rennlister's have for a four door, safe, fast, manual, sedan? (No M3s please, I do plenty of rain and snow driving).
Old 12-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Kitch
Advanced

I personally have not driven one or really had much time to check them out, but the new Volvo S60Rs should at least be worth looking at. It falls into the four door AWD category. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 AM
aap
Advanced

Kitch,
Still searching?
I've got a 982s, ocean blue, 37Kmiles. dealer offering $45.5K on a trade. I'd part for 50K (excellent condition, needs new rears)
Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Kitch
Advanced

aap,

Thanks for the offer. I'm specifically looking for a black C2. Good luck with the car!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:40 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ray Calvo

(Been thinking about getting one in a few years to replace my A4 Avant, but spending $50K+ on a daily driver is scary. Plus am ticked about paying like $1000+ "gas guzzler tax" when some moron who buys a giant SUV land barge that gets less mileage doesn't have to pay it).

AND gets a HUGE tax write off.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:50 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by aap
nota_troll, the MB C-32, Does that come in manual? Any other favorites you fellow Rennlister's have for a four door, safe, fast, manual, sedan? (No M3s please, I do plenty of rain and snow driving).
When I was looking for my daily car I wanted really good performance (0-60 in under 6 seconds), handling, leather, sunroof, 4doors and no FWD. Also I wanted something that could haul butt and haul stuff like my dogs to the park.

Ultimately the choice was limited to MB C32 and the Audi S4. My wife wanted me to buy an SUV but no thanks.

The reason I chose the S4 is the wagon option. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I bought the C32. I told the MB dealer if he could bring a Euro C32 wagon to me I'd buy it.

Oh well. Next time.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by nota_troll
The reason I chose the S4 is the wagon option. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I bought the C32. I told the MB dealer if he could bring a Euro C32 wagon to me I'd buy it.
Oh, so you are comparing the previous body S4 (B5) with the current C32? No wonder you liked the C32 better. The current S4 (B6) is much more of a driver's car than the C32. The only thing that doesn't measure up is the Tiptronic in full auto mode.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:11 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Regarding his original post of the S4 I still wasn't blown away to spend $50k+ for a B6 S4.

When I was shopping for a car the B5 S4 only available. If I were looking today I wouldn't buy Audi. Quite frankly my Audi is not all it's crack'd up to be.

Last edited by nota_troll; 12-17-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

I had a deposit down on an S4 before they arrived here in the US. I had a B5 and absolutely loved the car for what it was. I changed my mind after realizing I didn't need a sedan just yet and that I always loved the 993. I'd love to have a B6 for a 2nd car and that is exactly what I would get. Audi makes a great car. Very tight, fit and finish is superb. More value than a Benz or a BMW too.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the C32, the build quality of the C-Class M-B is, IMO, an embarrassment.

Quick Reply: OT... Audi S4