Sponsored by:

OT: Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking for a modified S4, a buddy of mine is selling his to buy a 993 TT. It's a nice car, with LOTS of go.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=47
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a great shop in PA that sells chips for both audi and p-cars
www.awe-tuning.com
Chips for the s4 are under 1k and push the hp over 300. Great sleepers...
Old 04-07-2004, 10:46 AM
s4dt
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 2001 s4 avant tip, drive the hell out of it 44k miles. no major problems. rip throught the canyons to go surf....drives great...some mods on the way......suggest: chip, exhaust, rear sway bar....you are at aaproz 300 hp and much much better handling all for 1500.00

great car. get the avant, s4 it is a sleeper.
d
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM
WJV
Advanced

I had an '01 S4 for 3 years and never had one problem over 45K miles. I loved the car and miss it a lot. It is a great daily driver being extremely comfortable (awesome seats), very well appointed, solid as a rock and really torquey and fast. I loved that motor. And as other people have attested, they are remarkable in the rain, almost to the point of being boring because they don't want to lose traction. If I were to buy used, I would definitely consider the Audi Assured program.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Want my 01 S4 Avant, silver/silver, tip, 29k miles, certified, loaded except nav and heated seats?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nota,

It is very close however I want a 6 speed. Thanks though.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

B5 S4's do have some serious problems with blown turbos. Apparently people have made businesses out of doing nothing other than replacing Audi turbos. So if you chip it, add in $10k to the cost of the chip. And unfortunately, Audi doesn't generally support S4 owners if there's any indication you've modded it.

I apologize if I offend any of y'all, but really, the S4 is an understeering pig of a car. Even my girlfriend, who proudly tracks her stage-3 modified S4, will admit that. But it is screaming fast. It's a great unmodified daily driver but it will never be my choice for modifying and taking to the track due to the unreliability, cost of repairs, necessity for numerous mods, and weight problem (3500 lbs).
Old 04-08-2004, 11:49 PM
bet
Drifting

Eric, No offense taken here. But I don't think anyone has been discussing the S4 in this thread as an all out track assualt weapon. I am not looking for that either. I merely want a fast and fun yet comfortable daily driver that is relatively inexpensive, so as to allow me to put aside the proper amount amount of funds so that I can start a search for a 993tt (hmm or 996 GT3) in a couple of years.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:20 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

B, then in that case just make sure you're careful about who you buy from. I think it's good advice about getting a warranty, but I guess the down side is that you don't know anything about the PO, such as if he chipped it, etc.

An S4 and a GT3? Does life get any better?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:31 AM
bet
Drifting

Originally posted by Eric86Red911
An S4 and a GT3? Does life get any better?
Not for me but then I don't have either right now and unfortunately the S4 is easy to get the GT3... well that is a different story.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 PM
ploglet
Pro

I have a 2002 S4 Avant as well as a TT. I drive the S4 everywhere. It is a great car that has plenty of power. I have had 2 S4's one a sedan and one an Avant. I really like the Avant useability. My Avant has an MTM chip with a Borla exhaust. It has H&R Coilovers, larger sway bar, short shift and drive-train stabilizer. It is plenty fast and goes so well through snow or rain.

I have had ZERO problems with it and I think the whole issue with turbos blowing up is due to the driver. I dont go and pound the car as I dont need to. It makes enough power as it is so I dont need to be heavy on the pedal. The people I know who have blown turbos all were dragging or doing something stupid. If you are mindful to the engine (get the oil temp off the far left when starting) then I dont think you are going to have any issues.
My TT is nice to drive but I dont go through all the bad weather I do with the S4. I would say go for it and enjoy the car.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:39 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

can't really comment on the reliability etc. but I did have a '01 s4 for about 6months. It was the last "brand new" car I bought and I felt it was heavy, pretty soft and rather than modify it, I sold before the initial demand died down. Once the new M3 came out it seemed to really hurt the s4. I think its a great overall car though, but for 40k+ at the time I actually moved my money into a Porsche and bought a couple other cars for the same $$

My friend just blew out the turbos on his s4 avant. Luckily it was under warranty. I think for 20k range the s4 and s4 avant are a good buy If you need 4 doors and can get around the boy racer stigma, the wrx or even the wrx sti are a lot of car for the $$.

The 944 is the way to go on a track car. They are cheap and really teach you the fundamentals of driving. You should check out the 944 spec series...it's gaining a lot of new drivers. Let me know if you want any more info.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Bags
Rennlist Member

Brian;
A good friend just picked up a new S4 from Tom Wood in Indy today. Silver, 18" wheels and appeared to have all the bells and whistles. $50K+!!! Lots of $$. He stopped by and flipped me the keys so how could I resist. The interior is excellent, tasteful, with very nice seats. All the ***** are easy to get to. The sound is great with the new V8. As a driver, it is comfortable and smooth. A great cruiser for the highway. From a visceral standpoint, you are seperated from the road. My 87 911 connects you and the car. My 97 C2S is more refined but as we all know does not seperate you from the feel/act of driving. The Audi had no feel. The engine pulls well but was not "fantastic" for 340hp. I have no doubts that the 993 could easily keep up. He wanted a sporty daily driver that he could put the kids in the back. I'd say he got what he wanted but for $50K I would never buy one.
Mike

Quick Reply: OT: Audi S4