Sponsored by:

State Farm and DE events

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 04:20 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default State Farm and DE events

It has been my understanding from these boards that State Farm still covers DEs. Since my carrier no longer does, I placed a call to a State Farm agent to get a price for insuring my 993. After giving me a price (much higher than I currently pay, but probably still worth it in view of track insurance costs), he asked why I was considering changing companies. I told him I understood that State Farm covers DE events. He was a bit of a car guy, so I think he thoroughly understood what a DE is after I explained it -- non-competitive, not racing, etc. He told me that he was fairly sure that State Farm would NOT cover DEs, and that he'd find out. He called me the following day and told me that State Farm will NOT cover DEs, nor anything that occurs on a track.

Is this indicative of a change? Does it vary from state to state (I'm in NY)? Are we all screwed?
Old 04-01-2004, 04:35 AM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe that I'm going to read the fine print in my policy to see if it specifically EXCLUDES this. I mean come on the car is insured for "recreational use" . . . . . . heh . . . heh . . . heh . . . .
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Todd,

Last year, I switched from many years of Geico to State Farm just so I could get the DE coverage. I specifically told my agent what I was doing and he checked into it and received approval for it. He even put it in writing. I'm guessing that policies vary from state to state. They're a bit bigher than Geico, but the peace of mind was worth the money.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It has been a few years, but I had State Farm when my 3.6 Turbo was totalled from hitting a tire wall and flipped over. I had a letter stating that non-timed events that were high speed educational were covered. They paid off with no problem and since the accident was the result of a mechanical failure (which they actually never looked into) I was not even charged with an accident and my rates never increased.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:14 AM
mdd
Instructor

This thread is timely for me. I started the same discussions with my State Farm agent a few days ago. The initial response was that the event would not be covered since it took place on a race track. I sent them a link to some DE descriptions that I found on the web and asked them to reconsider their position and to provide a copy of the verbage in my contract that would specifically exclude a DE event. They are reconsidering the issue now.

Viperbob and Mark in Baltimore: Could you possibly send or fax a copy to me of the State Farm letter that was provided? I think that would help my agent push the issue within State Farm.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i remember a bit ago a discussion around USAA. I looked at my USAA policy and could find no mention of track, timed, drivers education... So there were no exclusions that I could find in my policy. Can someone who has USAA tell me what phrase to look for?

Cheers,
Boris
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Just hung up with me Statefarm agent. Said I am covered as long as I am not in a "timed racing event" Do drag racing or racing for money.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Mark,

I no longer have the letter. As I stated it was from a few years ago and I have moved twice since then. I still have State Farm, but in another state now. I do not have a current letter of coverage for DE events... One thing I know for sure, the Time Trial events are CLEARLY excluded. Even carrying a Hot Lap timer of any form or timing device inside the car will in most cases also get you a denied claim... Be careful.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked USAA last week and got a firm NO. The lady didn't really understand what a DE was, but I tried to explain it as well as I could and even used words like "driver improvement, non-timed, non-competitive", etc. She put me on hold, came back and said nothing on a track was covered. Who knows?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Insurance policies can vary from state to state. Read your policy exclusions. If DEs are not w/in the definition of excluded usage, you're covered. If you have doubts, seek legal advice in advance. The last thing you want to do is litigate coverage w/your insurance co. w/your car in the shop.
2. My current State Farm policy absolutely covers DEs.
3. Several owners in my PCA region have had DE collision claims covered by State Farm, incl. w/in the past 6 months.
4. My State Farm agent is a DE instructor & reports no problems w/DE claim coverage (including his own).
5. If there are too many inquiries &/or claims, I wouldn't be surprised if SF changes its policy language to specifically exclude DEs (as some companies have already done).

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 09-05-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:38 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rick - Like you I called USAA and asked about coverage. The agent I talked to seemed receptive to the "non-competitive, non-timed, accompanied-by-instructor, driver improvement" sales pitch I gave her, but had to refer it to an adjuster for final approval. Once the adjuster heard the words "high speed," that was it and I wouldn't be covered.

Boris - I can't find anything in the exclusions part of my policy about coverage/non-coverage of DE's.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you call and ask USAA about DEs, they will put a note in your file that you inquired and you will not be covered. Me thinks this was in a thread about a year ago.

I also wonder in the exclusions on USAA if the DEs are expressly not covered. The only way to find out is if you have an incident and you HAVEN'T called, then you can work it out with the adjuster. If you call you are excluded. In a way, it is a case of inocence..."Gee, I didn't know"...
Old 04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It really doesn't matter what a agent or a customer service rep tells you. It is what is in your policy that matters. Biggest mistake most consumers make is to not read your policy.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Bruce SEA 993
If you call and ask USAA about DEs, they will put a note in your file that you inquired and you will not be covered. Me thinks this was in a thread about a year ago.

I also wonder in the exclusions on USAA if the DEs are expressly not covered. The only way to find out is if you have an incident and you HAVEN'T called, then you can work it out with the adjuster. If you call you are excluded. In a way, it is a case of inocence..."Gee, I didn't know"...
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think putting a note in my file is the same legal animal as expressly excluding DE's in their written policies. I think Virginia's insurance commissioner would have a problem with this tactic. Is USAA gonna pull the "double secret probation" stunt?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:38 PM
kary993
Drifting

All I can say about this is you better get it in writing. Insurance companies are clearly trying to shutdown this sort of insurance coverage.

Quick Reply: State Farm and DE events