Sponsored by:

State Farm and DE events

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Phone note addendums to insurance policies?

Originally posted by hddude
In the meantime, I wouldn't drive my 993 in DEs or any other track/high speed activity unless my insurance specifically permits it.

In my opinion (and my experience in the insurance industry for the last 12 years) the company would need to specifically state that the activity in question would not be covered. They would list this in the exclusions part of the policy. Most language is that racing or timed events are not covered but do not say anything in regard to track

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 04-02-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Allstate policy mentions racing like all the others, but they included an appendix that specifically mentioned "No coverage on any circuit designed for racing activities including during High Performance Drivers' Schools." That seems pretty cut and dry to me.

And to be realistic, who really expects that their daily policy will cover such high risk activities. I don't expect my $300/yr Hagerty policy to cover track stuff, in fact that one specifically excludes it too, despite the verbal assurance that I have heard rumors about. You are fooling yourselves if you really believe this. If it was included, don't you think the rates would be a lot higher?

The deductible is large, but keep in mind that you are only mitigating some of the risk of a total loss. You have to pay to play!

Noel
Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is an interesting thread from Pelican about a DE event claim that was denied:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=145782

Noel
Old 04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All,

I just talked to PCA national and they have been working with a company in Toronto to offer DE insurance going forward. This company will not be endorsed by PCA, but keep your eyes open as it will be advertised in Panorama coming up in the next month or two.

Just an FYI...

-Skip
Old 04-02-2004, 01:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any indication of their rates compared to the other one mentioned in this thread...

Where a $50K value means $650 per year.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW...Geico does not specifically say no DE, or any language about tracks and such, outside of one sentence about "no racing" and when I called, they confirmed, as long as it wasn't wheel to wheel racing.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:44 PM
jstahmann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told by my State Farm agent here in Utah that DE events are covered under my normal policy. I've been instructing at Audi DE events for several years and never had to make a claim, but it's good peace of mind to know you're covered 'just in case'.

I think it's also important to have a good working relationship with your insurance agent. I've been with State Farm since I started driving and have had excellent service the entire time. My agent has even gone to bat for me a couple of times when I've needed it. Even if it is a little more expensive than some, it's worth it to me.

John
Old 04-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by JPS
FWIW...Geico does not specifically say no DE, or any language about tracks and such, outside of one sentence about "no racing" and when I called, they confirmed, as long as it wasn't wheel to wheel racing.
Jos,

From my phone call in January of 2003, I was initially told by the Geico rep that as long as I'm not racing, my car will be covered. However, after checking with claims, the rep said Geico considers DE’s to be racing. I was informed they may cover damages but might not renew the policy. Implicit in the word "may" is that they also "may not".

With something this gray, I thought it best to not read between the lines and then have to go to battle if I had an accident. The point is rather moot for me since I'll be self-insuring myself for the club races anyway. I think, unless I had a bad accident in a DE, I would pay for the damages out of my own pocket.

Quick Reply: State Farm and DE events