Sponsored by:

Supercharged Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 09:56 PM
cecil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Supercharged Update

I now have put 2200 miles on my 97 993 with the TPC supercharger kit on it. No problems. As everyone knows you get used to power very fast. I now can't remember what the car was like before the charger. It feels like it should to me. It feels like a very powerful fast car. Kind of like the engine suddenly "grew" into 5 liters. In town I shift a little sooner than before. Shift at 3500 rpms and you leave all the traffic behind. In the North Carolina mountains the car performed very well. The low end torque is nice for sharp turns. On the way up I did a mileage check. I got 23.7 mpg on the highway. The Eaton has a bleed off valve so you lose the charge at a constant throttle position. 1st gear has taken a little getting used to. The rev limiter comes on very fast. Stomp it going straight and you have to shift as soon as you hit it or you bump the rev limiter If the wheel is turned slightly when you stomp it you go sideways. Fun. Sam I'm afraid I didn't bump into any M3's on the trip but I did "dust" a 996 I would say if you want more power in your car this is a tough modification to beat. I will add the intercooler when it comes out. I think it will add to my "peace of mind" in addition to adding a few more hp (not that it needs it as a street car). For those of you who are unfamiliar with the TPC set up, the boost peaks at 5 psi and makes around 316 hp at the rear wheels. You can visit their website here.
TPC
Old 06-12-2001, 10:06 PM
cecil
Instructor

Cool

Guy's I forgot to add that a film clip is avilable at the TPC site. Go Porsche, 993, Engine Mods and you arrive at the supercharger page. Click the PICTURE of the supercharger on the right side of the page. Turn up the sound and the clip will load and play. Cool stuff. and yes my car will do that TPC
Old 06-12-2001, 11:48 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cecil,

Thanks for the update. I'm sure dusting the 996 was as much fun as if you smoked a new M3. When you do the intercooler I would ask about the upgraded digital closed loop black box that should replace the current analog version. Should be ready towards the end of the summer. I am waiting for that and then I'm next.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:14 AM
NRK
Advanced

Cecil:

Have you found any driveability quirks -- nonlinear throttle response, hiccups, effects of pressure bleedoff at constant speed (need to reapply throttle to maintain speed?)-- and the like? In other words, does it perform like a BIG bore OEM engine in your experience?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:18 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cecil, Have you had any problems with the car running hot. I am in south florida and one of my concerns(along with overall reliability) would be excess heat. How would you compare performance with a 993tt. How much did the overall project cost and what would be effect of an intercooler on overall performance. Thanks Mike 95 993
Old 06-13-2001, 12:20 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I think the most important item to add would be an external oil cooler. We need to get more info on how hot the engine is running under load from Cecil.

Rick
Old 06-13-2001, 04:05 PM
David T.
Advanced

cecil - thanks for the update!

Have you tried using racing fuel vs. premium unleaded to measure the performance difference? This will tell us if there is any detonation without racing fuel.
Old 06-13-2001, 08:34 PM
cecil
Instructor

The engine does not run any hotter than it did before so I am not thinking of adding an oil cooler. Remember the supercharger is driven by the engine belt not exhaust gases so in that regard there is no more heat. When you compress air however it does get hotter, so I'm sure the intake temperatures are elevated. I haven't noticed any knocking but will add the intercooler to lower the intake temps when it is ready. Might even be able to go with a "slightly" higher boost safely with an intercooler
Old 06-13-2001, 08:37 PM
cecil
Instructor

NRK I forgot to answer you. You can "just" hear the charger whine when you jump it. It it were not for that you would not know that it wasn't a bigger engine. Thats one of the nice things about a supercharger. They just feel like you added a couple of cylinders.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:25 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heat is a result of combustion, not how the supercharger or a turbocharger is driven. The more HP you make, the more heat is generated. If you run the car hard, you will make more heat. Assuming, however, that the oil cooling is the same as the TT, you should have plenty of extra capacity. I would tend to be more concerned about cylinder head temps - I don't think that will show in the gauge.
In regards to knock, you should really do the test with race fuel or find some way to get a reading from the ECU. If you can HEAR knocking, it is too late.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:18 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Cecil; Can you post some pictures of your installation? I am sure many of the people here would be interested in seeing it if you could do this.

By the way did you ever watch the cartoon show; Beanie and Cecil? Cecil was the "Sea Sick Sea Serpent".

Quick Reply: Supercharged Update