Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Decision - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs PS2

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:32 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Turbo has a front weight bias vs. NA C2 so with stiffer walled N3's I run 36 front and 40 rear for the best performance. Tried many pressure combinations, higher rear pressure gets squirmy. Two 911 friends preferred the N3's to the 4S's.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; Today at 12:33 PM.
Old Today, 01:29 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,069 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't know why everyone falls for the N rating BS. The PS2 sidewall isn't much stiffer than any of the other Michelin's. If you want a stiff sidewall go Pirelli. The different tires and N rating primarily changes the rubber compound across the tire contact patch and has little to do with sidewall stiffness or overall tire construction. You should be running 36/44 PSI cold if running 18" staggered if not that could be your issue. The tire will get squirmy if you run lower pressures that is on the street of course.

Here is cross section of an identical tire, the only difference N-spec vs not. It is the same size and model (though I can't recall which).

Beyond a potential compound difference which can't be seen, visibly you can see the shoulder/sidewall is different and additionally you can see the N-spec has additional reinforcement. N-spec's are on the left.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight. I have 3 sets of wheels with 3 different tires. Michi PS4S, Michi PS2 N3, Pirelli P-zero's. All will get me to Starbucks in record-breaking times.

The following 3 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
ClassicAndy (Today), fatmike (Today), ronnie993tt (Today)
Old Today, 02:35 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Most useful post I've seen in a long time.. I directed folks from the Canada site here.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; Today at 03:06 PM.
Old Today, 02:39 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

The "N" issue was perhaps pertinent when the 993's frst appeared, decades ago, and tires, Michelin and whatever, were far different than now. Rubber coumpounds and sidewalls have all evolved. I think co-branding with Porsche was very clever marketing, and it paid $$ in profits for Michelin, still does for some buyers. Conti Extremes work great, are cheaper, and seem to get better treadwear.
Old Today, 03:10 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by fsa
The "N" issue was perhaps pertinent when the 993's frst appeared, decades ago, and tires, Michelin and whatever, were far different than now. Rubber coumpounds and sidewalls have all evolved. I think co-branding with Porsche was very clever marketing, and it paid $$ in profits for Michelin, still does for some buyers. Conti Extremes work great, are cheaper, and seem to get better treadwear.
You're assuming this. Had the Conti's for 7 years on the 993tt and much prefer the PS2's ride. Don't care about wear. Having had just about every brand over almost 50 years of 260Z ownership, I'm a die-hard Michelin fan.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; Today at 03:11 PM.
Old Today, 03:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Here is cross section of an identical tire, the only difference N-spec vs not. It is the same size and model (though I can't recall which).

Beyond a potential compound difference which can't be seen, visibly you can see the shoulder/sidewall is different and additionally you can see the N-spec has additional reinforcement. N-spec's are on the left.
If the options for a specific brand/model of tire are for a 'generic' spec, another manufacturer spec, or an N-spec...of coure the N-spec makes the most sense. For instance when replacing the PS4S on my 992 in the next year or so I would seek out the N-spec version. But if the new and improved PSS5 is out by then in proper sizes, I will absolutely get the latest and greatest, N-spec or not.

For the 993 I absolutely love the PSC 240.
Old Today, 03:34 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

What does 'staggered' mean in this context "You should be running 36/44 PSI cold if running 18" staggered" thx
Old Today, 04:17 PM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelin.com
​​Marked tyres are the result of a specific demand expressed by individual car manufacturers. They indicate that careful attention has been paid to the tyre and model package in order to deliver the level of performance owners expect. For example, 'N'-marked MICHELIN tyres are designed especially for Porsches, 'K'-marked tyres are designed for Ferraris and 'T'-marked tyres are designed for Teslas.
Marked MICHELIN tyres are designed specifically by Michelin engineers in close collaboration with the car manufacturer in question. Marked tyres incorporate the DNA of individual brands and models as a function of the performance brief and requirements specified by each manufacturer. The fitment of manufacturer-approved tyres ensures an optimal driving experience, from superior handling and ride comfort to reduced noise and even more enjoyment behind the wheel.

Marked tyres are a sign that they comply with all of the car manufacturer's requirements. It is important to know that all OE tyres are approved by the manufacturers that fit them. When replacing them, it is therefore important to specify the same tyre as that approved by the car manufacturer.
Taken from Michelin.com

Quick Reply: Tire Decision - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs PS2