Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car

I'm 6'1" and 210.
I have gotten over the exaltation of owning and driving our 993, and now am becoming aware of the car's quirks.
Frankly, it's a contortionist's trick to get in my car, and it's psssing me off.
The problem is THE STEERING WHEEL - it doesn't tilt or telescope, and getting the right knee under it when entering the car is the trick. (Jeez, it just struck me that IT'S POSSIBLE THAT I HAVE MISSED THE TILT BUTTON ON THE CAR??!!)

My seat is all the way back, down and pretty tilted back -- the problem being that I can feel it's a bit of a stretch to fully engage the clutch when the seat is way back.

I know there are many 6ft-plus and 200lb+ owners out there, so have any of you come up with solutions (besides just living with it)?
I'm a problem solver, so I'm seeking solutions. No, getting rid of the car isn't one just yet; and no, hearing that you don't have this problem is not helpful.... just anticipating some reactions, ya know.

I've run into this with other cars, and have solved it several ways, but always with pre-airbag cars:
1) D-shaped/flat bottom steering wheel -- the problem is getting one with an airbag that fits the Porsche -- do you just eliminate the airbag?
2) Smaller diameter wheel -- again, the problem of getting one with an airbag that fits the Porsche -- know of any?
3) Wheel spacer that brings the wheel an inch or two back toward the driver -- anyone tried this? What did you use?
4) Deep dish wheel -- airbag? Where did you find such a wheel?
5) Another steering column? Yikes, too much work swapping columns (have done that on a 1956 Jag XK140).

Recently, I solved this on a 1966 Mustang using smaller wheel, with a 2" spacer AND which was also deep-dished! Wish it was this simple for the 993.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM
dantonio
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
I'm 6'1" and 210.
I have gotten over the exaltation of owning and driving our 993, and now am becoming aware of the car's quirks.
Frankly, it's a contortionist's trick to get in my car, and it's psssing me off.
The problem is THE STEERING WHEEL - it doesn't tilt or telescope, and getting the right knee under it when entering the car is the trick. (Jeez, it just struck me that IT'S POSSIBLE THAT I HAVE MISSED THE TILT BUTTON ON THE CAR??!!)

My seat is all the way back, down and pretty tilted back -- the problem being that I can feel it's a bit of a stretch to fully engage the clutch when the seat is way back.

I know there are many 6ft-plus and 200lb+ owners out there, so have any of you come up with solutions (besides just living with it)?
I'm a problem solver, so I'm seeking solutions. No, getting rid of the car isn't one just yet; and no, hearing that you don't have this problem is not helpful.... just anticipating some reactions, ya know.

I've run into this with other cars, and have solved it several ways, but always with pre-airbag cars:
1) D-shaped/flat bottom steering wheel -- the problem is getting one with an airbag that fits the Porsche -- do you just eliminate the airbag?
2) Smaller diameter wheel -- again, the problem of getting one with an airbag that fits the Porsche -- know of any?
3) Wheel spacer that brings the wheel an inch or two back toward the driver -- anyone tried this? What did you use?
4) Deep dish wheel -- airbag? Where did you find such a wheel?
5) Another steering column? Yikes, too much work swapping columns (have done that on a 1956 Jag XK140).

Recently, I solved this on a 1966 Mustang using smaller wheel, with a 2" spacer AND which was also deep-dished! Wish it was this simple for the 993.

Thanks.
I think a smaller steering wheel (+/- dished) and wheel spacer will help you immensely. It’ll allow you to more comfortably sit with the seat further back in a more reclined position so you have greater head room.
The following users liked this post:
NickDLT (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:49 AM
notabot
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

People install aftermarket steering wheels without airbags all the time.

Sidebar: Who made the airbags that go in the 993? Takata?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:21 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

try yoga?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

You can get an aftermarket steering wheel with or without an airbag.

Alternativly see the section at the bottom of the below document concerning legroom and moving the seat rearward.
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...out-drama.html
Hope this helps,
Andy
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by pp000830
You can get an aftermarket steering wheel with or without an airbag.

Alternativly see the section at the bottom of the below document concerning legroom and moving the seat rearward.
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...out-drama.html
Hope this helps,
Andy
Andy,
Yep I had seen your post, and indeed the seat had already been mounted rearward.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by cgfen
try yoga?
tried it...joints don't move in those directions.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 150 Posts

It's a Porsche thing. I'm 5'10" and have the same issue in a 356 where it's a contortion to exit with the low fixed steering wheel. They are what they are in these older ones.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

You guys should try to get in and out of a fully caged car with deeply-bolstered race seats; getting into a street car is easier than sliding on greased owl poop. (Apologies to Car & Driver's writer for the paraphrase.)

Seriously, these are small cars; best of luck figuring out a solution other than buying a cabrio and going topless. I've seen some very big and tall guys fold themselves into these 911s and have no idea how they fit with a helmet on and the seat pushed back towards the sloping roof.
The following users liked this post:
NickDLT (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:39 PM
NickDLT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stasha,
I had a similar problem (Im 6'4," 225lbs). I installed a Momo Mod 07 steering wheel which has some dish and also installed the associated
momo adapter and 1/2" spacer. The momo wheel is a lot more comfortable, downside is you lose the airbag. You could further push the
steering wheel toward your body by adding a steering wheel disconnect hub.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:43 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by dantonio
I think a smaller steering wheel (+/- dished) and wheel spacer will help you immensely. It’ll allow you to more comfortably sit with the seat further back in a more reclined position so you have greater head room.
Any sources for a spacer and dished wheel known to fit?

When I recently did the mod on that old Mustang, I swear I probably spent over 16 computer hours searching for the combination of parts... figuring out spline size, adapter bolt patterns, horn hookups, cslling wheel companies, etc.
There was no single source that made the adaption a simple one-click order.

Anyone with a dished, smaller diameter, and spacer solution for the 993? I'll even forego the airbag.
As I understand it, even earlier Porsches (?1988 to 2006?), and other models will fit, like 996, 987, 964, 911.

Looking for something quick and easy. The miles I have recently logged on the puter researching issues are making my butt flat.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:47 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by NickDLT
Stasha,
I had a similar problem (Im 6'4," 225lbs). I installed a Momo Mod 07 steering wheel which has some dish and also installed the associated
momo adapter and 1/2" spacer. The momo wheel is a lot more comfortable, downside is you lose the airbag. You could further push the
steering wheel toward your body by adding a steering wheel disconnect hub.

Nick! Just saw your post after I posted the below.
Thanks.
Yep, I had considered a quick release wheel, but I think most required welding on a QR hub....too much permanent modification.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:56 PM
NickDLT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have to weld anything...Rennline sells a QR hub:
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-St...oductinfo/I18/
Old 10-06-2020, 03:04 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by NickDLT
You shouldn't have to weld anything...Rennline sells a QR hub:
https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-St...oductinfo/I18/
thanks. ANother good possibility
Old 10-06-2020, 03:59 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm 6'2" and over 200 and can get in and out easily, as long as I can open the door all the way. I do move the seat all the way back first. Sit on the seat sideways and then rotate in. Seat mounting frame is not moved back.

If you have ever tried to get in n out of Lotus Exige Coupe you would think the 993 is a piece of cake.

The QR hub looks interesting.

Quick Reply: Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car