Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 03:11 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Practice... practice ...practice

Originally Posted by il pirata
I'm 6'2" and over 200 and can get in and out easily, as long as I can open the door all the way. I do move the seat all the way back first. Sit on the seat sideways and then rotate in. Seat mounting frame is not moved back.

If you have ever tried to get in n out of Lotus Exige Coupe you would think the 993 is a piece of cake.
I have a very specific recommendation to the original poster..do not modify your car unless you have a medical handicap. My recommendation is to practice. A 993 is one of the easiest cars I have owned. I have a Lotus Exige Coupe and it is probably the most difficult street car to get into, however with practice I can manage fine. This was not the case when I first bought it. New passengers need tuition for the first few attempts. The general approach for a LHD is a to bend your left leg alongside the car and with a straight right leg aim for the accelerator pedal, sit on the seat and then bring in other leg. As another poster mentioned an MGA is difficult because the door is so short it is hard to get the second leg in past the hinge post. If we don't master this with practice, our ability to own these kind of cars will tragically diminish as we age. Yes (as il pirata says) the 993 is a "piece of cake".
Old 10-07-2020, 04:29 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
1) I remounted the driver seat rails back to the more rearward pre-drilled mounting holes. This probably buys you 1.5” more legroom or so and is critical for tall people
Yeap, did the same. There are 2 holes that are predrilled at the front. It works perfectly.

2nd thing I did was to install a TechArt 340mm steering wheel on the cabrio and the Momo for the race car.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:36 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
I have a very specific recommendation to the original poster..do not modify your car unless you have a medical handicap. My recommendation is to practice. A 993 is one of the easiest cars I have owned. I have a Lotus Exige Coupe and it is probably the most difficult street car to get into, however with practice I can manage fine. This was not the case when I first bought it. New passengers need tuition for the first few attempts. The general approach for a LHD is a to bend your left leg alongside the car and with a straight right leg aim for the accelerator pedal, sit on the seat and then bring in other leg. As another poster mentioned an MGA is difficult because the door is so short it is hard to get the second leg in past the hinge post. If we don't master this with practice, our ability to own these kind of cars will tragically diminish as we age. Yes (as il pirata says) the 993 is a "piece of cake".
Yah, just tried your rec "bend your left leg alongside the car and with a straight right leg aim for the accelerator pedal, sit on the seat and then bring in other leg." Works better than whatI have struggled with.

Funny -- I posted my problem, and we now have many members piping in with their solutions -- obviously a fairly universal problem. Porsche should publish a small bulletin: "How to get in and out of a Porsche 9XX"
Old 10-07-2020, 07:27 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

6'1" and 220 lbs so I feel your pain.

I installed this about 5 years ago mainly because I wanted a smaller diameter wheel with a much thicker rim. Between the smaller diameter and the flat bottom it makes entry/exit much easier.

The downside is that the wheel rim blocks more of the gauge view, but it is easy enough to peek around it.

I think the vendor was DCT.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:57 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by mgerber
6'1" and 220 lbs so I feel your pain.

I installed this about 5 years ago mainly because I wanted a smaller diameter wheel with a much thicker rim. Between the smaller diameter and the flat bottom it makes entry/exit much easier.

The downside is that the wheel rim blocks more of the gauge view, but it is easy enough to peek around it.

I think the vendor was DCT.
Gerber,
D-shaped wheel, what diameter?
Did you also use a spacer?
What hub adapter did you use, or does that 3-spoke wheel come with adequate spacing?

This is all good stuff! Practical solutions, mostly from old guys (like me).
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:10 PM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by pp000830
Alternativly see the section at the bottom of the below document concerning legroom and moving the seat rearward.
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...out-drama.html
Hope this helps,
Andy
Andy!
it struck that MAYBE the seat is NOT already in rearmost position.
Here is a pic of the front rail of driver's seat.
Is it furthest back?

OTOH, as is, it's a stretch for full clutch disengagement. Damn, if it's not one thing, it's another, huh. Typical.

Pic of front driver's side rail

Last edited by stasha; 10-07-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
Gerber,
D-shaped wheel, what diameter?
Did you also use a spacer?
What hub adapter did you use, or does that 3-spoke wheel come with adequate spacing?

This is all good stuff! Practical solutions, mostly from old guys (like me).
Thanks.
Ran out to the garage to give you the measurements. To the outside edges side to side it is 14" in diameter. The flat at the bottom takes about 1" out of the radius. It is based on a 996 wheel, so no spacers or custom hardware required, and the 996 airbag bolts up to it.

Last edited by mgerber; 10-08-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
stasha (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 AM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by mgerber
Ran out to the garage to give you the measurements. To the outside edges side to side it is 14" in diameter. The flat at the bottom takes about 1" out of the radius. It is based on a 996 wheel, so no spacers or custom hardware required, and the 996 airbag bolts up to it.
Thanks.
I'm thinking that's the way I'll go -- at least try a much cheaper version (D-shape/flat bottom) 14" wheel, non-airbag version.
This will probably require a significant spacer to brin the wheel out, as it looks like the present wheel itself is about 5" away from the hub.
Here we go again, spending hours researching parts to get -- all for a temporary fix, just during my ownership.
At least the original wheel/airbag will not be damaged during storage, huh.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:13 AM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 243 Posts

OP, same problem here at 6' 1", 175 lbs - right knee bangs/drags on steering wheel.

Getting in and out of my racecar with a full roll-cage is much more difficult and probably why I never really thought about the 993's issue.

Lots of good solutions posted here to consider!
Old 10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
stasha
Racer

Uhoh, just became aware of the problems with using a non-airbag steering wheel in the 993: The forever airbag light, OR the complicated option of dismantling the cowling and wiring in some resistors, and even replacing the wheel cowling with 964 pieces.
This is getting a little over the top for a temp and quick solution.

I'll post separately whether there is a plug-n-play solution getting around the airbag light. Just don't like permanently altering wiring, especially since I see this as a temporary solution.
Darn, always a complicator.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:36 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
Uhoh, just became aware of the problems with using a non-airbag steering wheel in the 993: The forever airbag light, OR the complicated option of dismantling the cowling and wiring in some resistors, and even replacing the wheel cowling with 964 pieces.
This is getting a little over the top for a temp and quick solution.

I'll post separately whether there is a plug-n-play solution getting around the airbag light. Just don't like permanently altering wiring, especially since I see this as a temporary solution.
Darn, always a complicator.
I would think not having an airbag is a bigger problem than having an airbag light..

I've been in an airbag-deployed accident..

But I see many people don't mind, using non-airbag wheels.

And yes, one of my cars does not have an airbag by design!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 AM
stasha
Racer

Originally Posted by 993_540
I would think not having an airbag is a bigger problem than having an airbag light..

I've been in an airbag-deployed accident..

But I see many people don't mind, using non-airbag wheels.

And yes, one of my cars does not have an airbag by design!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
...and yet I skydive.
The amount of precautions definitely depends on one's past experiences. I'm sure many would advocate rollbars in all cars, based on their own accident experiences, and definitely governors on cars' speeds should be mandatory , thereby eliminating the need for go-fast cars like Porsches.
To each their own... as long as people assume personal responsibility for their actions.

Quick Reply: Any solutions? Too tall/big to easily get in the car