Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Comparison Question:Any former/current late model M3 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:42 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Comparison Question:Any former/current late model M3 owners?

Anybody have the latest M3 out there and also own a 993? .......I have this friend....... who is considering either an '01 M3 or a '95 or '96 993. Pros and Cons of each by those who have owned both please? Oh yes, and.....this friend......is going to use it as a daily driver.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been able to run some laps at Willow in a friends M3 SMG. Great car (for the track), but not a daily driver IMHO. Harsh ride being the first thing that comes to mind, not to mention the fact that they sound terrible. Just my .02
Old 03-02-2004, 02:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think he's going to be much happier in a E36M3 than and E46M3 as a daily driver.
I had to make a choice between a 993 cab and a '98 M3 cab with less miles and for slightly less money as my street car. I chose a 993 but in part because I've owned a pair of BMW cabs and wanted something else. They are actually not that different from each other in daily driving, in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I sold my 1996 993 for my 2002 E46 M3 and while the M3 is a sweet car it was a mistake to buy it over the 993. I've also owned a 1998 M3 Cab - that was pretty nice too.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I'm thinking the 933 more pure sportscar but with a little less performance (std. C2) and a lot less creature comforts. Any comments on the reliability or depreciation factors relative to the 993?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I would agree.

I think a new M3 will depreciate a lot faster than a used 993.

Reliability? How are the engines in the new M3's....are they still having problems or did BMW solve it?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I own a '95 C4 and have driven a friend's '02 M3 extensively. I also own a 325xi. The M3 is very fast in a straight line and has a low-key but fast look akin to the Audi S4. Build quality of the M3 is very good and the added space in the back is a plus for people hauling. I have only driven a manual M3 and find the transmission lacking the mechanical feel of the 993. Although the M3 shifts smoothly, the feeling is vague and unrewarding. The suspension of the BMW can be harsh, and I have a hunch that the 993 will outshine the BMW in the twisties.

As for reliability, you'll hear a lot of anecdotal evidence about early M3 engines blowing up, but I imagine those numbers are pretty small. Overall, my wife and I have owned 4 BMW's and find them to be well built and reliable cars. As for depreciation, my friend recently sold his M3 back to the dealer, and was shocked how little he got for the car. (Then again, he did sell it back to the dealer). BMW will supposedly launch the successor to the current M3 (I think they're calling it an M4) in the next year or so, and that should be a factor to consider. If your friend is anxious to get a car, I would spring for a 993 now, and wait and see if the M4 is appealing.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

That "friend" is really me! Just trying to gain some perspective on other options besides just 993 but I keep coming back to the Porsche.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:36 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't owned the M3 but I do admire them. As a daily driver the M3 would be fantastic. IMO not a better option than a nicely kept 993. The 993 is much more enjoyable even for the grocery runs.

Recently I shopped 996s and E46 M3s to replace my 993 but I think not. If I replace my 993 it's going to be a 993TT. Having said that the M3's power and civility are top notch. It's generous torque gives me the giggles.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I think this question is kind of up my alley...I have both a '97 E36 M3, an '04 E46 M3 and a 993 amongst a few other goodies. The E46 M3 (6 speed, didn't like the SMG at all)...is a truly fantastic car. It is kind of a swiss army knife of cars; its heavy, but still handles as well as most any true sports car...power is impressive, torquey and silky...no one has ever accused a NA 993 motor as torquey. It carries 4 in relative comfort and has a real trunk (if you are into those things). I have modified my suspensions on all my cars and the modified M3 is heavenly. All BMWs are VERY quiet these days ( "shhhhhhh...we're very serious cars now") but that is fixed by a call to Active Autowerks in Florida...they make the best exhausts for BMW M3s period...and the sound is fantastic....the potential for greatness is built into the car, it just needs some coaxing to make it the way we all like it...

The 993 obviously is a sports car through and through will all its good and bad...I don't need to go in to what a great cars these are...there is plenty to read here on that front...

You just need to drive to decide. Good luck...you can't go wrong...they're German...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:32 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I had an E36 M3 and loved it. Torquey engine, good handling, braking and had capacity to carry things if you so desired (I almost NEVER carried anyone in the rear seats).

The 993 is simply on a different tier. Not much difference from a straight line, raw speed perspective (under 80mph, although they approach it differently), but in every other sense of driving comparison it is much more enjoyable. It just has that FEEL that can't be quantified - and the sound of the air-cooled six makes me forget I have a stereo. And then there is the looks - as much as I liked the M3 the E36 now looks outdated where the 993 is timeless. I do like the E46, but the 993 with the sexy hips is still my choice.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2ndof2,

We owned a '02 E46 M3 SMG-II for a year. It threw a connecting rod bearing at 8,000 miles, necessitating an engine replacement, despite the fact that it just putt-putted around town in my wife's hands most of the time. Never saw a day of track duty, unlike the 993 which has been indestructible mechanically during 3 years of all-season use and 20+ track days.

IMO, the E46 M3 is too much of a compromise car. I guess it's a cool ride, if you want something sporty but need the extra rear seat room and a legit trunk. However, as a sports car, it pales in comparison to the 993. The E46 M3's steering is too light and vague, and the car suffers from significant body roll. I would definitely upgrade the supension and lower the car - but to be fair, I did this with the 993.

I would not recommend the SMG-II if it will primarily see street use. It's really clunky, abrupt, and slow at low (i.e. everyday, in-town) speeds. I've yet to find a decent paddle-shift transmission for daily use, and I've driven the 1st and 2nd generation units in the Ferrari 355 and 360, as well.

Neither my wife or I miss our E46 M3 at all. Having said that, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the previous generation E36 M3's. A friend had a Dinan version, and it was nice. Just seemed more "honest" to me, somehow.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Seljan
Pro

I have an '03 M3smg and 2- 993's a TT and a Cab.The M is my daily driver.
In the year i've owned the M3..it has been flawless.Mileage is averaging 21.3.I agree with Anir on the paddle shifters.Impossible to use when turning sharp.But i have found the smg transmission fantastic after you get through the learning curve with it.

Overall I would give the M3 very high marks in fit and finish.As far as performance.The M3 is faster than the 993cab IMO.If I were to order another M3 today,I wouldn't go with the 19" M-spokes.The car feels to heavy with them.I put 18" mille's with dunlop m3 wintersports and now it feels like a 3series again.

One of the best features of the smg,is that in stop and go city driving it's a breeze to drive..and when you find those wide open roads its fantastic in full sport mode.

As much as I like the M3,if I could only have one car..it would be the TT.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 139 Posts

I currently have an E46 M3 (standard transmission), and am looking to replace it with a 993 and a Cayenne S. The E46 M3 is a perfect compromise for somebody wanting a sports car, but needing a real back seat and a trunk (with the fold down rear seats, it is extremely practical) in the same vehicle. Although it is neither a true sports car nor a comfortable sedan, it can handle the track like a champ and provide a nice ride home with a set of track tires and equipment in the trunk.

Personally, I want a true sports car for the track as well as something comfortable with an automatic transmission to drive every day (and some ground clearance for use in the mountains).

Something to consider that nobody else has mentioned is cost of ownership. Both the 993 and M3 are holding their values extremely well. BMWs have free maintenance for 3 or 4 years depending on model year (including pads/rotors...if you track your car, this is a nice benefit). And, of course, even the oldest E46 M3s with average miles are still under warranty for a while.

Both are great cars, but for a daily driver and only car, the M3 is a perfect compromise.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:31 AM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have both a 95 993 that I track often and drive on the street regularly as well as a 98 E36 M3 4 dr. The M3 is easier to live with daily and the performance is good for the $$ (bought used in 2002). For Atlanta traffic the slush box makes sense and it keeps me from fiddling with added modifications ( a major bonus as I have a low ability to leave it alone). The 993 with all its qwirks is exactly as one would expect after 30 years of evolution. I love tinkering with it and track weekends help maintain my sanity.

The M3 I simply wash/drive & maintain per the book. I will use it on some rainy track day soon. I may have to take the M3 to a bmw club DE soon as they are always unhappy when the porsche crowd regularly out pace the E36 & E46 M3's.

Quick Reply: Comparison Question:Any former/current late model M3 owners?