Help using orbital polisher.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 11:34 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help using orbital polisher.

I've now used my Porter-Cable 6" variable speed random orbit polisher kit (w/Meguire's cleaner wax) twice. I must be doing something wrong. I end up w/sprayed wax everywhere & also needed to do much of the car by hand because the pad seems too rigid to conform to many contour areas.
Several specific ??? for anyone w/experience:
- I'm using the foam pad that came w/the kit. Is there a better/different applicator pad that I should be using?
- I've tried different speeds, but don't have a clue as to the correct speed or if there is one. Any hints?
- Last, after how many uses does the foam pad get replaced?
- Actual last, any instructive websites dealing w/machine polishers?
TIA

[ 31-05-2001: Message edited by: Dan 96C2 St.Louis ]
Old 05-31-2001, 11:39 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts
Try this one. Good luck. (Hope I did this right)

machine polishing web page
Old 05-31-2001, 11:50 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Dan

I'm not sure I've got the hang of my Porter Cable yet - but some general principles (1) use the slowest speed you can get away with - higher speed = more aggresive and (2) use very little polish/wax - the polisher does an extremely good job of spreading.

I think you are falling foul of (2) above - try placing a dime sized splodge of polish on the pad and spreading it around the pad before turning the polisher on - also, only turn the polisher on when it is in contact with the vehicle.

As for your questions:

(1) The different pads are shown on http://www.topoftheline.com/porcaborpol.html I think the yellow one (supplied with mine) is slightly abrasive - the white pads are softest. I ordered a bunch of terry bonnets and use those

(2) Correct speed - see above

(3) Not sure how many uses - I think you can wash them to remove build-up, or spin them against something (spatula ?) to remove build-up when dry

(4) Try http://www.autopia-carcare.com/macbufpol.html for some more professional advice

Happy Buffing !
Old 06-01-2001, 09:31 AM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

I use my Porter Cable at a speed of 3 for application and 5-6 for buffing. I'm sure I'd have splatter at higher speeds.

Zaino comments. "Great" garage kept shine. Very little protection from anything acidic such as bird crap, wet oak leaves, etc. I have it on my 993 and was appreciating what is possibly the best shine it has ever had. Left outside alongside two other white cars over the weekend, the Z got badly penetrated (will require heavy cleaning to remove the stains) while the stuff washed right off the other two cars (diff products). The 993 had 5 coats of Z2 on it all applied within the last two months. Your experience may vary but it's not going back on my cars.

-Bob
Old 06-01-2001, 10:06 AM
Doc Vorce

Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) sells an excellent book dealing, in part, with some advantageous procedures for using the Porter-Cable system. In the book, Richard Griot solves the problems that you are currently experiencing. The book is entitled THE DETAILER'S HANDBOOK and is a sound investment for anyone who details his or her own car.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:28 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Thanks everyone for your help - as expected the Board has set me straight once again. Visited the suggested sites & learned much.

Chris - just ordered a dozen terry bonnets from the site you listed.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:32 AM
Mike996
Track Day

Question

I've been thinking of getting this setup myself, and I was wondering if you guys had success removing minor scratches? I have little experience and am a bit apprehensive about using an orbital, but I'd like to get a couple of scratches out. Any chance hand polishing would work as well, or is the orbital truly superior (and not too risky)?

Thanks for the advice

Michael
Old 06-04-2001, 01:43 PM
CC993
Advanced

Michael...I have resently started using the Portal Cable orbital polisher (Toolmart.com best deal) with Griot's least abrasive polish (I believe it's their #1 polish) and then followed with their "Best of Show" wax and I was astonished at the depth and clarity of the finish...and your talking to somebody who has literally waxed the paint right off of cars in the past...minimum work and maximum results...orbital is the only way to go!

Quick Reply: Help using orbital polisher.