993 Forum 1995-1998

opinions on Andial in Santa Ana, CA.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 01:34 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post opinions on Andial in Santa Ana, CA.

I posted this yesterday but for some reasons it only showed once on the forum.

I brought the car (95 993 cab) to Andial after i bought it to have rear brake pads changed, oil change and some minor fixes. It turned out my rear brake system needed new disk as well and all the hardware. The cost for the rear brakes came to $500+. They also said they found an original fuse (not sure which but it's something related to oil)that tends to be overheating and dangerous. They said Porsche have a new one with the heat sink that should fix the problem. It costed another $300. To total bill came out to be $1,1xx with oil change for $140 and other minor fixes.
I trusted Andial because of their reputation and that's why i brought my car to them in the first place. I am new to Porsches and their mechanics and just need some inputs.
Are there other independent shops in this area with good quality but a litte cheaper. If i remmember right, Andial charged $68 and hour for labor.
Thx.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:25 PM
Jim 993tt
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have not had a problem with an oil temp sensor switch...but I do remember several mentioning a bad transistor or something that overheats and causes a malfunction of the cooling fan. I think the new ones have cooling fins. I personally do not recall anyone speaking negatively of Andial on this board in the past.
Old 06-01-2001, 05:56 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andial is very good, however, you pay for the name. There is another shop a lot of Porsche Owners go to just South of Irvine. Herg.... something. Viken and ~DJ knows that shop very well.

Rick
Old 06-01-2001, 06:16 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Rick. This is the one:
motorsport@hergesheimer.com

Several people mentioned about this place. I will consider this shop next time. Just a a little too far for me.

thx everyone.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:42 PM
LarryN
Advanced

Thumbs up

My experiences at Andial has been very positive. So far I have had them put back on my stock exhaust system and then just for an oil change & brake check before the April autocross event. Pete (in service) is very nice and someone I feel that I can trust. I think that you do pay a bit more for their expertise, but I feel a whole lot better there than taking my car to the local dealer. A friend has recommended a place called John's Foreign Car Service in Mission Viejo for routine maintenance (good work, reasonable rates). Thinking about trying them for my next front brake job which will need rotors and all.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:32 PM
Charles Morrison
AutoX

My Porsche (86 911) has been serviced exclusively at Andial since 1989. All of my experiences there have been extremely positive. I have found them to be highly competent, honest and courteous.

It's not clear from the original post whether there was a thorough pre-purchase inspection. If so, it would appear likely that the subject maintenance issues could have been detected and factored into the purchase price.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:34 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Charles Morrison:
<STRONG>It's not clear from the original post whether there was a thorough pre-purchase inspection. If so, it would appear likely that the subject maintenance issues could have been detected and factored into the purchase price.</STRONG>
I had the pre inspection at Newport Beach dealer and knew about the rear brake pad, but not the disks. For $45k, i expected to pay some fixing.
Everyone is right about Andial. I felt very comfortable and safe when i talked to them. I guess I feel more confident with Andial now that they are honest and straight forward ( i was a little concern about those unexpected costs). After all, they not just do Porsches, they only do 911.

thx

[ 01-06-2001: Message edited by: hn ]
Old 06-01-2001, 09:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
You need to have a "relationship" with your mechanic/tuner. Me, I go to Hergie at Hergersheimers. I have known him since 1989...and he supports POB Short Track series, and he does good work at a reasonable price. On ANDIAL, I have talked with Pete Wetzel...Pete seems very knowledgable. On $60 to $70 per hour, that is kind of the going rate.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:59 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, it was the oil cooler fan resistor that i was talking about and it costed me $190, not $300+. The total bill was $1,1xx including brakes system, resistor, oil changes and other minor fixes. Sorry if my orginal post was misleading.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:55 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
I have seen quite a few cars from andial and the worksmanship has been top notch Pete is the best in the business on building porsche race engines. I can't say his knowledge on repair issues but I am sure he can handle anything. Remember to own and maintain a porsche cost plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so just lick your wounds.

George 911-V8

Quick Reply: opinions on Andial in Santa Ana, CA.