Sponsored by:

Some oil observations

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts
Default Some oil observations

I know there are dozens...hundreds of posts on this and I think I've read them all. I did find the following observation enlightening for people who still struggle with this. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

My car has about 1100-1200 miles since it's last oil change. At that time the gauge for oil capacity was in the middle of the range and the oil level was 2/3 up the stick.

Recently, I've noticed the gauge is pretty much pegged in the red. I checked the stick and it's on the bottom third of stick. I know from reading that this is actually where you want the oil level to be. Out of curiosity I added about 8 ounces (ie 1/4 of a quart) and the needle moved just into the black and the dipstick is right in the middle.

I now realize that it is silly to worry too much about this. A 10-12 quart system and 1/4 of a quart "corrects" the oil level. I've read that any amount of oil on the dipstick indicates the system has sufficient oil and this appears to be true. It also seems that "overfilling" the system can be just a matter of a fraction of a quart. As such, I believe that the "middle" range for my car's oil gauge is on the high end of the ideal oil level, but this is probably a fraction of a quart -- not ideal, but probably nothing to overly worry about. Seeing this first hand has been enlightening.

As with most things, I suspect this issue is agonized way too much.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

I will say my observations on the oil level closely follow yours.
The following users liked this post:
Bigwood (11-22-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Oil gauge does not work and will only show in the red until you park at level ground while motor is hot and running. That is how dry sump works.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
It also seems that "overfilling" the system can be just a matter of a fraction of a quart. As such, I believe that the "middle" range for my car's oil gauge is on the high end of the ideal oil level, but this is probably a fraction of a quart -- not ideal, but probably nothing to overly worry about.
Hi RK-D,
I agree to underfill, if there is any indication on the dip stick range, is not an issue.
Most folks who overfill either fill to the 1/3 of the stick when the engine is not fully warmed ( a 20 min. drive) or 'top off" the oil to the full mark on the dipstick or both. In such cases sucking several ounces into the intake on a periodic basis and so is not good with both short term and long term unintended consequences.
Andy

Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Oil gauge does not work and will only show in the red until you park at level ground while motor is hot and running. That is how dry sump works.
Yep - that's how I check it. I make allowance for the oil cooler to operate and let the car get up to temp fully before checking on level ground - usually 30 min of driving time (minimum).
Old 11-19-2019, 11:37 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi RK-D,
I agree to underfill, if there is any indication on the dip stick range, is not an issue.
Most folks who overfill either fill to the 1/3 of the stick when the engine is not fully warmed ( a 20 min. drive) or 'top off" the oil to the full mark on the dipstick or both. In such cases sucking several ounces into the intake on a periodic basis and so is not good with both short term and long term unintended consequences.
Andy
Agree - I'm going to avoid the temptation to top off unnecessarily.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:00 PM
JonRoger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that with even 1 qt in the tank (not entire system), the engine would be fully lubricated.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree with the "underfill vs "overfill" comments.

One more data point:
I added 1 qt on my car and moved the dipstick level +2.1".
Extrapolating, the bottom of the twists to the top of the twists should correspond to about ~1.7 qt.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Maburns13
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my oil changed early fall last year before garaging my 993 for the winter. Have had it out a few times this Spring. The oil level gauge stays pegged in the red. Oil temp and pressure gauges are fine. After 45 minute drive today, the oil level gauge stayed in the red. Checked the dip stick and oil shows to the top of the twist.

Still makes me paranoid.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:58 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Maburns13
Had my oil changed early fall last year before garaging my 993 for the winter. Have had it out a few times this Spring. The oil level gauge stays pegged in the red. Oil temp and pressure gauges are fine. After 45 minute drive today, the oil level gauge stayed in the red. Checked the dip stick and oil shows to the top of the twist.

Still makes me paranoid.
If I’m reading this correctly, that’s more oil than I’d want in my car.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:12 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

If your car is fully warmed up to the point that the thermostat opened and it's on level ground and your dipstick shows oil but your gauge is in the "red", then your float in the tank needs adjusting. There's a thread for that: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...el-sender.html see post #14

Quick Reply: Some oil observations