Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caveat Emptor: jeanhules

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice recap Mark. Lessons to be learned on both sides and good advice for future transactions.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

For me the big reminder is that so often when these matters hit the forums, the totality of communications between buyer and seller are rarely reflected. As you suggested, often demanding and threatening messages between parties (usually not shared in the forum threads) set a tone from which it's difficult to recover, or at lease arrive at compromise. Once that kind of emotion is introduced, things are almost certain to head south. Golden rule, boys...golden rule.
The following users liked this post:
FLYT993 (08-15-2020)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

As someone who has dealt with this seller and had a similar issue, starting with a nice well reasoned approach leads nowhere- which ends up in the outreach becoming more and more frustrated and demanding. Sometimes the lesson is there are some people just not worth buying things from.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Under sell.
Over deliver.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
997.1S (01-02-2020), Domer911 (09-28-2020)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

...or pony up and buy new
Old 11-08-2019, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

"I sold a set of Motons several years ago that the buyer said were leaking (never had them on my car and bought them as spares). I was aghast and immediately offered the buyer a full refund including shipping costs to the buyer and back to me since I felt bad that he was disappointed. I thought I was covering my bases when I used the phrase "could be rebuilt" rather than "should be rebuilt." The difference of a couple of letters was enough for me to feel that I hadn't properly managed the buyer's expectations. I ended up giving the buyer a credit since he really wanted the dampers, so it resulted in him being happy. Frankly, eating the cost of shipping back to me or providing a credit was a small cost to protect my reputation for future sales and interactions."

MARK right on.
I had that happen to me ONCE, on brake calipers
​​​​​​​as soon as buyer contacted me. I PayPal back in less than 5 min. and paid return shipping
not worth my time or rep
and I am not even a shop or professional seller
The following users liked this post:
paulkromz (11-13-2019)
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Got to read your reply Mark after taking an extended break from RL (8mnths to be exact).
Ill start by saying thanks the help. Good to know moderators take a neutral side and find facts (as best as can) to make for a peaceful forum. What wasn’t said, was conversations on the phone that were pleasant which eventually led to not talking via phone anymore. No one would have record and level of scrutiny not necessary thankfully. However, show me an instance where there isn’t disappointment that’s rightfully stated and alternative means pursued to make whole. As some of you know (whom I’ve transacted with and had Events at various venues), I’m pretty easy going. I’m not one for a BS’r nor do I act like one either. The latter is what I thought would change from my days over at Nasioc and EvoM (the latter is actually the best time on a forum and community I’ve had to date). Only difference now is parts and goods are $1k+ instead of $100+. No change in characters if you will.... Oh well...live and learn which brings me to my next point/advice. Ask the questions and by golly pay for it with AMEX and a reputable third party like PayPal. Those two are self explanatory. However, you can pm for more information on covering your tail.

best

Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Got to read your reply Mark after taking an extended break from RL (8mnths to be exact).
Ill start by saying thanks the help. Good to know moderators take a neutral side and find facts (as best as can) to make for a peaceful forum. What wasn’t said, was conversations on the phone that were pleasant which eventually led to not talking via phone anymore. No one would have record and level of scrutiny not necessary thankfully. However, show me an instance where there isn’t disappointment that’s rightfully stated and alternative means pursued to make whole. As some of you know (whom I’ve transacted with and had Events at various venues), I’m pretty easy going. I’m not one for a BS’r nor do I act like one either. The latter is what I thought would change from my days over at Nasioc and EvoM (the latter is actually the best time on a forum and community I’ve had to date). Only difference now is parts and goods are $1k+ instead of $100+. No change in characters if you will.... Oh well...live and learn which brings me to my next point/advice. Ask the questions and by golly pay for it with AMEX and a reputable third party like PayPal. Those two are self explanatory. However, you can pm for more information on covering your tail.

best
Thanks for your post. I always do my best to be as objective as possible in everything I do. I did what I could to understand both sides so there's no impression of impartiality or false judgment.

I'm sorry you had issues with this seller. I was running a search for some parts and ran across this FS thread from jeanhules: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1...highlight=vram Sadly, it appears that his sales have a propensity to require conflict resolution.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

It appears that jeanhules re-registered with a new user name, assman. Registering under a new user name is an automatic ban, so both jeanhules and assman have lost posting privileges.

This thread will be unstuck since both users have been removed.

Just a gentle yet obvious suggestion, but perhaps a better approach for a long term presence here is to be honest and forthright in order to prevent sales issues.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
911F1 (09-24-2020), 996scott (09-24-2020), Domer911 (09-28-2020), nothingbutgt3 (05-26-2021), r00t61 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:48 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
UPDATE:

It appears that jeanhules re-registered with a new user name, assman. Registering under a new user name is an automatic ban, so both jeanhules and assman have lost posting privileges.

Just a gentle yet obvious suggestion, but, perhaps a better approach for a long term presence here is to be honest and forthright in order to prevent sales issues.
What a waste of a good username!
The following 3 users liked this post by notabot:
CorrdoBrit (09-24-2020), Gbos1 (09-24-2020), nothingbutgt3 (05-26-2021)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

Was it Kramer from Seinfeld ??
Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
UPDATE:

Just a gentle yet obvious suggestion, but perhaps a better approach for a long term presence here is to be honest and forthright in order to prevent sales issues.
I will never end saying thank you to you Mark for giving me good advices and for being present, while dealing with that person.
I really appreciate the fact in this place if someone behaves badly, the community openly can point it out, without fearing of being judged to be judgemental or umpolite or not politically correct.

Thank you.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
I will never end saying thank you to you Mark for giving me good advices and for being present, while dealing with that person.
I really appreciate the fact in this place if someone behaves badly, the community openly can point it out, without fearing of being judged to be judgemental or umpolite or not politically correct.

Thank you.
Paolo, thank you. John D. (founder of this board), 911SLOW and I want the Rennlist tradition of a trustworthy community to continue enduring. While we cannot prevent every hustler from coming onto this forum and doing damage, I can tell you that I am particularly motivated to eradicate charlatans who have a long distance relationship with honesty.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
m32 (09-26-2020), nothingbutgt3 (09-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: jeanhules