Caveat Emptor: jeanhules

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 02:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
This thread is better than Twilight Blue’s last “lawyer up” thread and better than an episode of Air Disasters. Very entertaining. I still say Mark deserves a raise.

Where is TB by the way?

Last I heard he was authenticating the twenty or so key fobs he purchased.

Andreas
The following 3 users liked this post by AOW162435:
993c4_Toronto (10-30-2019), mpruden (10-30-2019), paulkromz (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

I’ll be honest, some of you here have the aptitude of a stack of bricks. For those that have never worked with Fiberglass or Carbon parts, even the best require “end” work. I go back to my days with Do-Luck (look them up and you’ll see the fine reputation they have). They make hands down, the very best for the high end JDM. I had a 1/50 (22/50 to be exact) rear trunk lid for an Evo X. I had to spend time and effort prepping. Getty’s parts are no different. Some come out better than others, some don’t. Porsche MS has varied history as well of which I’ve used in the past.

You guys need need to stop adding to the drama if you have nothing to offer. I’m happy for those that aren’t in my shoes. Same with those that now may have raised an eyebrow for some of the potential pitfalls with dealing people here.

What we we have here is poor workmanship that has been blamed on Getty and UPS. I hope none of you EVER deal with either OEM or Replica parts. You’ll be in for a nice surprise when you take it to your favorite paint shop and they hand you the bill for Labor/Materials used.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:49 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
I’ll be honest, some of you here have the aptitude of a stack of bricks.
You're coming in here acting like John is some sort of scammer (He's not) and when other people provide perspective on their experience with John, you don't like it, so you decide to insult anybody who disagrees with you. I bet you're a hoot at parties!
The following users liked this post:
RunWhatchaBrung (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Actually, two people have said they were happy buying from John and two people (myself included) found the experience to be less than satisfactory. Like I said, readers make up your own minds.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

I’ll be honest, some of you here have the aptitude of a stack of bricks.
...says the guy who bought a used large fiberglass replica part sight unseen and now regrets his decision. Got it.

Good luck. I'm enjoying your Karmic payback from a stack of bricks and the view of the clownish drama show you're starring in is entertaining, so thanks

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 10-30-2019 at 05:34 PM.
LuisGT3 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Folks, let’s try not to dog pile onto one party or the other. As I wrote before, we are doing some research, so stay tuned.

In the interest of fairness, I have left this thread opened so that if anyone has constructive commentary, they are afforded an opportunity to post their viewpoint.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Folks, let’s try not to dog pile onto one party or the other. As I wrote before, we are doing some research, so stay tuned.

In the interest of fairness, I have left this thread opened so that if anyone has constructive commentary, they are afforded an opportunity to post their viewpoint.
what I think frankly speaking is that passion and enthusiasm, sometimes they can play bad tricks.

On the one hand the buyer, wanting to make to himself a nice gift, wanting to beautify his car, can find himself in a sort of self-induced conditioning that, due to the desire of the purchase, leads him not to see the defects even if the seller is giving them transparently to him.
Then finished the novelty effect, all of a sudden the buyer finally sees the defects, and then he starts jumping on the couch, screaming to the rip-off, shouting to the restitution and the reimbursement. (I don't know how it has gone between the 2 here, but this could be something that happens very often, in my opinion)

On the other hand, the seller may be the first time he sells pieces, maybe until then he had only bought parts and so I think it is easy not to put all the care in describing the pieces he sells, that care he has instead used and would use in buying other used parts.

Then it must be said that even the seller could be conditioned by the enthusiasm and the good moments that the use of his car gave him also thanks to those aesthetic details introduced by him and therefore, how to say, you would never describe your beloved girl with bad words , even when after 10 years of lucky and marvellous engagement, she gets a wrinkle on her face or a point of cellulite on her thigh...Yet there are ... but would you do it?

This is the version that contemplates the good faith on both sides, then there is the version in bad faith, that is the one in which the seller has seen the defects from the beginning, he has anyway accepted to buy because of a fari price, premeditating then to create problems , as well as that in which the seller hides all or in part the obvious defects of the piece, asking for a higher price, precisely because he declared the parts to be perfect, when he should ask less precisely because of the defects that instead insist on the part(s).

This is why I asked how much the original rear wing in excellent condition should cost, to get an idea if the 1k dollars paid are congruous with the conditions in which the part is.

For me, but it's just my idea: with another 5/700 of work the wing will be perfect. Basically with $ 1700 one has the aesthetic he wanted, when maybe for the same result with the original wing he had to invest 4 times as much (I don't know how much the market value of an original wing is, so mine is just a hypothetical speech).

Excuse me, it is just that I have been looking for used and new parts for my project for 15 months now and I have an almost daily encounter with issues like this ...then of course seeing the reproduction doesn't fit your expectation, maybe one could think having made a mistake and wants to go back on his steps...but this is always possible, paying the shipment back to the seller, or not?

Old 10-30-2019, 06:24 PM
RunWhatchaBrung
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let’s back up. You posted in your previous post (third since 16’) a nearly verbatim description on the definition of “excellent” and how it differs than “new” and the people responsible for said descriptions. I have a text from John himself. Are you related? Is that you John?
Nope, this is not jeanhules. But I have bought and sold parts with the guy over the years and never had an issue. It sounds like you bought a replica wing on impulse without asking for closeup photos and now you’re regretting your decision. Only person you can blame is yourself. It’s also clear that Meenrod is just butt hurt from his own failure to properly file a proper shipping insurance claim and wait for the claim to be processed, and now has used John as a scape goat. Alright, you can continue with the childish name calling and false claims.

Last edited by RunWhatchaBrung; 10-30-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added words
Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Mark,

Just for perspective - aside from insulting me (one of the bricks) and Jean and many other posters, he badgers the antigravity guy (a rennlist sponsor) in the other thread. Add it all up and make your own opinion.

dave
95 911
03 540i6
84 380SL
M561 (retired)
RunWhatchaBrung (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

FWIW, I appreciate folks posting about their experience purchasing/selling things from/to members of the forum.

Everybody can make their own mind regarding how they would handle situation similar to what seller and buyer ended up in, what should they do to avoid transactions going bad.

Like all DIY knowledge on this forum, less technical aspects of being a car guy(like how to buy/sell/pack/ship/insure parts) is what makes this place so great.

Just moderate "piling up" and emotions out of the conversation.
nothingbutgt3 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm labeled as 'butt hurt' (whatever that means) but we are the ones to continue with childish name calling?

You know, it's funny how you reached a decision on what happened with me despite knowing nothing about it.

Did you know John refunded me some money on shipping as he 'overcharged' me in the first place. The refund arrived after I started looking into the shipping costs directly with UPS. Coincidental.

And that despite charging me $50 for 'packaging' materials he couldn't supply a store supplied receipt.

And he only offered to pay for half of the repairs to the wheels and not the full amount despite my very reasonable request to be made whole.

Like I said twice now, people can make up their minds.

I have unsubscribed from this thread- this is exactly why I don't got involved in these issues.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:50 PM
RunWhatchaBrung
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I'm labeled as 'butt hurt' (whatever that means) but we are the ones to continue with childish name calling?

You know, it's funny how you reached a decision on what happened with me despite knowing nothing about it.

Did you know John refunded me some money on shipping as he 'overcharged' me in the first place. The refund arrived after I started looking into the shipping costs directly with UPS. Coincidental.

And that despite charging me $50 for 'packaging' materials he couldn't supply a store supplied receipt.

And he only offered to pay for half of the repairs to the wheels and not the full amount despite my very reasonable request to be made whole.

Like I said twice now, people can make up their minds.

I have unsubscribed from this thread- this is exactly why I don't got involved in these issues.
A scammer wouldn’t refund shipping costs and offer to pay for half of damage caused by the shipping company. You should be thanking him.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

I’ll be honest, some of you here have the aptitude of a stack of bricks. .

Nice attitude. Good luck with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
LuisGT3 (10-30-2019), RunWhatchaBrung (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Running_Man
A scammer wouldn’t refund shipping costs and offer to pay for half of damage caused by the shipping company. You should be thanking him.

Just curious - what’s your relationship with John? Since you’ve never posted on the 993 forum, how did this thread/issue hit your radar?

Andreas
The following 3 users liked this post by AOW162435:
ed devinney (10-30-2019), Gbos1 (10-30-2019), YellowDieselGolf (11-07-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Just curious - what’s your relationship with John? Since you’ve never posted on the 993 forum, how did this thread/issue hit your radar?

Andreas
Sitting here thinking the same exact thing ....very strange literally out of nowhere ..
all of a sudden he starts posting in his defense.

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: jeanhules