Sponsored by:

Caveat Emptor: jeanhules

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Running_Man
So you were fully reimbursed by AMX Mr. Sword of Spirit? Was that the full purchase amount? If so, why are you saying you were not made whole?

And yes, excellent is not new, replica is not oem. Can we see the car it’s going on? Close-ups, all angles please. See, that’s how it’s done.
Let’s back up. You posted in your previous post (third since 16’) a nearly verbatim description on the definition of “excellent” and how it differs than “new” and the people responsible for said descriptions. I have a text from John himself. Are you related? Is that you John?

John is not willing to pay for the item to shipped back. That will occur and only occur on/after the 13th of Dec as per AMX. This is out of interest in the claim and leverage I have been forced to work with. Thank you John. I will not extend anymore effort on an item of which I would have never purchased. Even more glaring, is the admission that defects were present prior and he did not disclose even when asked?

I also do not owe you anymore about the intended use of this wing. I’m sure you’re smart enough.....

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
The pics clearly show poor prep and paint, not shipping related. But that's also exactly what anyone should expect from any secondhand body part, ESPECIALLY an aftermarket part. Simply bolting on somebody else's fiberglass wing just ain't gonna happen. Gotta be realistic. But that wing was clearly never in "Excellent" condition either.
I’m full disclosure and and expected such when I asked John. When he lied in describing and later admitted to defects., my case against him elevated substantially. I don’t put crap on and this is clearly what the end result. Had I not done my due diligence, yes, I would not have a case.

Originally Posted by rk-d
Full refund. Split shipping. That would have been ok.

I've had situations where things I shipped broke in transit. In those cases, I provided full and immediate refund of all costs. That included shipping. That was more of a goodwill gesture, not everyone is into that and the shipping company refunded those expenses regardless. I handled the claim on my end - it's not something the buyer should have to wait on before they get their refund.
Whole is determined by the buyer and court of law. I’m under no obligation to pay for the return of an item. He knows. I know it. I know you know it.

Originally Posted by chsu74
Some people are definitely using the RL platform for their part time/full time business and getting away with it. Private enthusiast sellers tend to be more agreeable in sorting out issues and open up front when cleaning parts out their garage. Others have to do this to pay bills.
Good point.

Originally Posted by ShipNerd
Unrelated but kind of related -- buying insurance UPS, Fedex, etc.. doesn't mean that you're automatically covered in case of damage. The courier needs to come out and inspect the packaging material used to ensure that the items were adequately packaged and protected for shipping. If not, the claim is denied -- which does make sense. I highly suggest taking detailed pictures of both the item and packaging material used when shipping out expensive items such as this. Should a damage claim ever need to be filed it is infinitely helpful to have pictures showing everything. In this day an age it's so easy to take a dozen pictures with a camera phone.

Steve
I actually was the one that started, and nearly completed the process of the claim. I cannot go any further since it is not my card nor name on the receipt I possess in PDF.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:36 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 115 Posts

Lawyers and time here are going to be more than $1K
Old 10-29-2019, 01:40 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Buying a fiberglass body part is not like buying an I-Phone.
One should always assume the part will need to be primed and repainted as the likelihood of a good color match alone is slim to none.
The advantage of buying a used part as a starting point, if not damaged, is that most of the artifacts, not all, in the finish have been addressed and when cleaned. reprimed and painted there should be no adhesion issues unlike what is sometimes observed with a new part.
I understand the OP's frustration especially when it involves what may have been an unrealistic expectation reinforced by misleading statements by the seller, most any part is rarely if ever a bolt it on and go with it experience.
Andy
Old 10-29-2019, 01:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

I agree that I would not call the part “excellent.”. And, if I were the seller, I’d have paid a refund in full including shipping. That said, we’re talking about a subjective evaluation of a used fiberglass part. It’s not like the thing was actually broken. As a buyer, I would have been fine with split shipping. Obviously that doesn’t satisfy the OP and that’s his prerogative. I suspect lawyers and all this heartache isn’t worth the money, but that’s just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow, I spent four years acting on a soap opera many years ago and there wasn't this much drama. Shouldn't be this difficult to solve without lawyering up over a relatively cheap used part.

The mods should close this thread already, but here's some music for the combatants in the meantime. The title seems rather appropriate

Old 10-29-2019, 02:25 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Lawyers and time here are going to be more than $1K
I feel I am owed money for my time spent on this (and the battery) thread. Calling my lawyer now.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
M561 (retired)
The following users liked this post:
paulkromz (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Wow, I spent four years acting on a soap opera many years ago and there wasn't this much drama. Shouldn't be this difficult to solve without lawyering up over a relatively cheap used part.

The mods should close this thread already, but here's some music for the combatants in the meantime. The title seems rather appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs
Originally Posted by 993_540
I feel I am owed money for my time spent on this (and the battery) thread. Calling my lawyer now.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL
M561 (retired)
No one here is trying to waste time. Things like this have occurred in the past and will continue to come up until this fallen world is no more. Take my precaution what you will. After all, it's you who clicked on the thread, not I.

By the request of Mark (our resident Moderator), he asked me post photos further adding to this "debacle" if you will. Give those that expect equal of themselves as the other a break. Not everyone tosses $1500-2000 in parts and time around like some of you. If you do, God bless you. If not, God bless you as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 314 Posts

This sounds like a huge waste of time.

The wing is aftermarket, fiberglass and a replica. Overall, if you stepped away from a couple of feet and not at a microscopic flash photography level I would consider it in great shape. Then obviously some damage happened during shipping by UPS, which is still relatively minor but enough to file a claim.

Seller offered to take the part back if you, buyer, paid for the shipping - which is fair. Could have also proceeded with the UPS claim to get some $ back - that would be on the person that paid for the shipping. That's how it almost always goes - particularly on eBay.

Anything beyond this sounds like a whole lot of whining that somehow couldn't get resolved by two adults.

Used large parts being packaged and shipped by clerks who probably get paid $14/hour and don't give a rats *** about detail. The only upside is that if you paid for their packaging, you have recourse. If it was your own packaging, it's your word against theirs and almost 100% of the time will get denied.
LuisGT3 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 541 Posts

Domer911 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:16 AM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the biggest waste of time on RL besides value threads.
The following 2 users liked this post by localmotion411:
East993 (11-20-2019), LuisGT3 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:11 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

This thread is better than Twilight Blue’s last “lawyer up” thread and better than an episode of Air Disasters. Very entertaining. I still say Mark deserves a raise.

Where is TB by the way?
mpruden (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

besides

what should be the price for the original and complet RS clubsport rear wing in good condition?

I don't think it is available anymore as replacement in Porsche, is this right?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

FYI, we are doing some further digging into this matter. Stay tuned.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:47 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Adding an additional data point. I've purchased from John in the past, as described and fair pricing.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased an item from the seller (factory 993 GT2 lower spoiler chin). It came very well packed and more bubble wrap then necessary. It was shipped fast and came exactly as described. It was also boxed up at the UPS Store. Just my .2 cents. Sorry the buyer of the tail had bad experience.
Todd

Quick Reply: Caveat Emptor: jeanhules