Sponsored by: DashLynx

Building a 993 Supercharged RSR clone

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Thanks Mate- but I think the 6PK1195 is the belt for the Supercharger, fan and alternator- I am looking for the air-conditioning compressor (pump) belt- it runs from AC pump to the crank- since the Clewett pulley is now on the crank the old belt is too big.
Doh! Sorry, didn't read the question properly! Used original belt for AC - there was enough adjustment on the compressor.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Got a Gates belt that was smaller to fit. All good.

AFR's are giving us trouble now- the first dyno run had to be aborted at 3700 RPM due to running way too lean. For some reason it's not going into open mode on WOT. Could be the TPS playing up or the FPR not connected properly. Will find out after Christmas.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Update- we fitted an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and set it to 5 bar. We're still seeing it lean between 2000 and 4500 RPM. No codes are being thrown. Getting closer.

On the upside- the immobilizer delete is working perfectly so no more lock unlock boogie every 30 seconds!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Getting to the end of this and reinstalled the Getty Clubsport rear decklid and spoiler- to find it hits the end of the supercharger snout... has anyone else had a similar issue?

The spoiler is an insert into a standard 993 C2 decklid.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Exactly what I said - cut the spoiler - or before cutting get about 4 big washers and install at the engine mounts to lower the engine slightly.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
very cool.
are you using the stock engine lid? If so get ready to cut some metal.
to get a little more clearance you can add 1 or 2 washers to the engine mounts.
I would have thought the water pump in the engine bay would have been a better position.
Yes you did! I missed this. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Okay got some updates to, er, update you on.

We got the existing RS Clubsport decklid and spoiler to close over the supercharger snout by taking the good advice from @haygeebaby and placing a washer or two under the engine mount to lower the engine fractionally. It worked which is great, as now I don't need to buy a GT2 spoiler - $$$$$.

We were having some problems getting the air fuel ratio right- it just wasn't getting enough fuel and that was with the higher flow rate Boxster EV14 Bosch injectors installed. So Todd recommended installing a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator. With the 5 bar in there now, it’s not so far off. You can see below the rpm vs. load vs. a/f chart here:

Most of the idle / light throttle is about stoichiometric. Above 5k revs we’re getting nice AFR's, but it definitely needs some more down low.

Anyway, turns out the Boxster injectors are only rated at 32.5lbs flow, and not the 36lbs Todd is looking for in the mapping, so today we are installing Bosch 'Giant Whites' which are 36lb exactly, plug and play. They are EV6 so they are still an upgrade to a more modern design over OEM or even the EV1 993 Turbo injectors. Some people are running Boxster injectors with a TPC kit so either they are running around with lean conditions or something else is up.

Anyway, I'll let you know if that has cracked it.

Also, since we had some spare time, we fitted the Cobra carbon backed sports seats and a Rennline fire extinguisher. The Cobra seats bolted straight in! Almost there...
Old 01-19-2020, 12:43 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are getting close. After you are done, I might be inspired to restart mine.
The following users liked this post:
Meenrod (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:33 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thank you Windydog. I hope you do- you inspired me to start on this.

Here are the Cobra seats that were installed- it's a UK brand, less well known here. Full carbon fiber backs and very light weight - less than half of what came out.

Best bit is they bolted right in- I had purchased planted seat brackets (anyone need any hit me up) but they weren't required. Had to trim the adjustment **** on the inside slightly to make them narrower but that was it.

Carbon fiber backs

Cobra Misano seats- light weight reclining buckets

Fitted
Old 01-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Okay, so new injectors are in. Now the car is running rich at idle, which is good, but still pulls a bit lean at wide open throttle. It does have much more fuel, but has a couple of knock points, vs a handful with the previous injectors.

I think mechanically we are there. The rest can be optimized with tuning.

More to come.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:38 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Well done. I'm surprised Todd didn't say no to the Boxster injectors at the beginning.
A water meth system is useful for extra cooling and octane. If you go this route - inject pre throttle body.
Do you have the maf network unit installed?

I wonder if you will need to change to 4.5 bar FPR next.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Todd was clear on having 36lb injectors - we screwed up by mistaking the Boxster injectors flow rate as being higher than they are. We have an adjustable FPR in there, currently set to 5 bar. The stock MAF is being used- is that what you are asking?

Definitely considering a water/meth kit. I need to do a little homework on that first - I don't know a lot about them.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

The mass flow network is basically a resistor that will fool the ecu and tell it that more air is flowing into the engine.
I think the ecu sees that it needs more voltage to keep the temp constant on the maf heating coil.
If I'm correct - it's result will be a richer mixture.
I would ask Todd about this as he does sell a unit and can probably explain it better than me.
The item at the bottom of the pic - under the ecu - is the mass flow network from Protomotive.

Wow - how did you get an adjustable FPR to fit in the tiny cavity? When I was planning this out I could not find a product that would fit unless some major modification was done.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thanks- I'll ask Todd.

I think we're just about there now. Car is getting dynoed next week, we're using 120 octane racing fuel just in case to avoid detonation during the run. Should be able to get Todd the info he needs to finalize the mapping.

We used this adjustable FPR- fitted in just! Had to switch out the adjuster screw for a smaller grub screw to squeeze it on.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Fuel-...le&utm_medium=

Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

It's dyno time...

The following users liked this post:
haygeebaby (02-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Building a 993 Supercharged RSR clone