Sponsored by:

Building a 993 Supercharged RSR clone

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:33 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
BTW, any pics of the install? I've been tossing around different ideas for running the air lines.
Not got great pictures right now but I will post what I have. Plus they have hidden the install under the carpet, with the reservoir for the interchiller sitting on that so not easy to move. They did a nice job of placing the switch on the center console where I asked them, but you could mount it by the headlight switch.

The following 2 users liked this post by Meenrod:
boomboomthump (04-10-2022), Kein_Ersatz (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 12:36 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Looks and sounds GREAT! Love what you've done with it!

I am really looking forward to the numbers a TPC SC puts out on a built engine with good tuning. My guess is 400whp/500crank. Whatever the "number" I bet it's gonna feel awesome!
They are tuning it on 91 octane as that is what is available in AZ so we'll see if that impacts anything. Should pull like a train regardless.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:31 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Not got great pictures right now but I will post what I have. Plus they have hidden the install under the carpet, with the reservoir for the interchiller sitting on that so not easy to move. They did a nice job of placing the switch on the center console where I asked them, but you could mount it by the headlight switch.

Cool, thanks. Once you get it back you should put some photos in that "nose lift" thread. I'll be doing the same.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:40 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Meenrod, a couple questions...

- Are you running RS/GT2 uprights (wheel carriers) or stock?
- Your KW V3's are they the standard ones or the RS specific ones?
- Is your ride height at RS level or +/- ?

Old 04-15-2022, 10:52 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Meenrod, a couple questions...

- Are you running RS/GT2 uprights (wheel carriers) or stock?
RS/GT2/ Evo uprights and tie-rods
https://patrickmotorsports.com/produ...1269aaba&_ss=r

- Your KW V3's are they the standard ones or the RS specific ones?
The standard V3, not the Clubsport. https://patrickmotorsports.com/colle.../sus35271004kw

- Is your ride height at RS level or +/- ?
Currently at RS -8mm. Looking at going lower to Cup heights after it settles.

Last edited by Meenrod; 04-15-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:19 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

I have RS uprights to install. Since that carrier has the wheel higher (car sits lower by default), in theory I need to adjust my coilovers higher up to be at the same ride height as previously. That reassures me that there will be significant "preload sag" in the suspension (available upward travel) for the HybridAir cup to lift the nose. I was concerned that maybe the range of lift you had was only because you had stock uprights and that I wouldn't get as much with the RS uprights I'm putting in. Glad to know that is not the case!

I didn't mean the Clubsports but it sounds like you have the standard KW's for 993s. They come in the normal "variants" (V1, V3, etc) and also the Clubsports. But then they also have shocks that are specifically for "RS" cars. They have slightly shorter bodies and longer threaded area at the top of the shaft. Not widely known or advertised but they exist. Wanted to confirm again, that we're running the same ones (I do not have the RS ones).

Thanks again for your answers. Helped me confirm some things for my own setup.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:00 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks!

I have RS uprights to install. Since that carrier has the wheel higher (car sits lower by default), in theory I need to adjust my coilovers higher up to be at the same ride height as previously. That reassures me that there will be significant "preload sag" in the suspension (available upward travel) for the HybridAir cup to lift the nose. I was concerned that maybe the range of lift you had was only because you had stock uprights and that I wouldn't get as much with the RS uprights I'm putting in. Glad to know that is not the case!

Thanks again for your answers. Helped me confirm some things for my own setup.
The RS/GT2 uprights do not change ride height in anyway. The centerline for the hub remains in the same exact place. What does change is the position of the lower ball joint by about 24mm (I forget exact amount) but that does not alter ride height. The tie rod position is different as well.

Image this, take your stock wheel carrier and insert a 24mm spacer between it and lower control arm ball joint. That’s pretty much what the RS wheel carrier does along with different tie rod mounting points. It does not change ride height but does alter the lower control arm angle. It’s a spectacular mod that’s needed at ROW -10mm and below ride heights. Expect a significant improvement in front end grip as a result of restoring proper geometry on a lowered car.
The following users liked this post:
Meenrod (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:20 AM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The RS/GT2 uprights do not change ride height in anyway. The centerline for the hub remains in the same exact place. What does change is the position of the lower ball joint by about 24mm (I forget exact amount) but that does not alter ride height. The tie rod position is different as well.

Image this, take your stock wheel carrier and insert a 24mm spacer between it and lower control arm ball joint. That’s pretty much what the RS wheel carrier does along with different tie rod mounting points. It does not change ride height but does alter the lower control arm angle. It’s a spectacular mod that’s needed at ROW -10mm and below ride heights. Expect a significant improvement in front end grip as a result of restoring proper geometry on a lowered car.
This is true. If you want to get more coilover travel out of an upright go with BBi. I have them on my 993TT and the lower shock mount in relation to the bearing is significantly different, I would say 2-3". Meaning, all else being equal, BBi uprights will lower the front end 2-3" as well as correct geometry.
Meenrod (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:50 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Interesting, didn't realize the BBi uprights are different.

Yesterday we took the car down to close to Cup height all round. Slightly raised at the rear, and Cup at the front. Stance looks just right now. Wheels fit nicely but there was a concerning moment when I thought the exhaust pipe would rub on the rear tires on each side but we were able to adjust it out.

The following 4 users liked this post by Meenrod:
anguilla1980 (04-20-2022), boomboomthump (04-21-2022), ClassicAndy (04-20-2022), dantonio (04-22-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:38 PM
kevie_p
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meenrod
Interesting, didn't realize the BBi uprights are different.

Yesterday we took the car down to close to Cup height all round. Slightly raised at the rear, and Cup at the front. Stance looks just right now. Wheels fit nicely but there was a concerning moment when I thought the exhaust pipe would rub on the rear tires on each side but we were able to adjust it out.

Amazing results, congrats! Love the ride height, I don't think I can get there with my PSS10 set up. Hope my car turns out as nice as yours did. Any interior pics?
Old 04-20-2022, 11:15 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thank you. It turned out really nicely and the stance is just perfect. Makes a huge difference. The KW V3 are very impressive, supple yet controlled.

These are not recent but the interior hasn't changed much since they were taken.

anguilla1980 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 12:21 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

That makes sense, as lowering the car would drive those control arms upward, so the RS carrier brings them back down.

So it doesn't change the ride height but does it have any effect on available suspension travel? I just spent my first full day at Disney with the kids and my brain and body are fried, so I can't wrap my head around this at the moment. Perhaps in the morning over coffee.

Elephant makes clones of the RS uprights (I picked up factory RS uprights) with the shock mounts in the same position as factory RS uprights. Their website states the uprights add additional travel back into the suspension. https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...ights-for-993/

Last edited by boomboomthump; 04-21-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:10 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

The distance between the strut mounting point on wheel carrier and centerline of wheel hub is identical between standard and RS wheel carriers. I don't know why they claim additional wheel travel.

The distance between the hub centerline and lower ball joint is quite a bit different between the two. They claim 30mm. Seems about right from my recollection. That in no way effects ride height or available wheel travel.

Sorry to derail your thread Meenrod, back to you regularly scheduled awesome build! Let's hear seat of pants impressions of that new power plant!!!

Last edited by MarinS4; 04-21-2022 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:43 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

No worries. Early impressions are good but it's too early to tell as the engine is brand new and needs run in for 500 - 1000 miles first.

They did do a quick dyno run to check the AFRs but they didn't take the revs all the way up and it wasn't WOT. It put down 336hp on that first run so I think there is plenty more to come. What is impressive is the torque curve which is not like a curve and almost completely flat.

We are playing with a smaller 1.8" pulley to see if we can get the boost up a little and what the impact is.

Meanwhile today it's having PPF installed.

The following 3 users liked this post by Meenrod:
anguilla1980 (04-22-2022), ClassicAndy (04-23-2022), dantonio (04-22-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 09:55 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice - very nice.
Meenrod (04-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Building a 993 Supercharged RSR clone