Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 12:51 AM
Auraraptor
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Styrizo
PS: it also has the option to use different colors for background illumination so if you want to play around with the gauges and switches conversion to LED, your stereo would mostly match
Thats great to hear. What colors are available? I am mostly interested in Green

Also (in face the reason I signed up): Is there anyway to display a custom splash screen on startup? Instead of the Porsche emblem on a white background, a custom script on a black/darker background would be nice. In other radios its a matter or replacing the startup .tiff or equivalent file...not sure if that is accessible or available here / if anyone has done it?

Last edited by Auraraptor; 12-29-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Auraraptor
4th Gear

Update: I found the OEM who mades it under contract for Porsche:

https://www.kraemerautomotive.com/de/produkte/

Still no clue about the splash screen though.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:07 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi, does anyone know if for a 993 with Hifi option - you still need to buy this special cable? I’m seeing people saying they didn’t need the adaptor cable with series 2 classic radio, but can’t really confirm / tell. I have a new classic radio on the way and 993 1997 c2s with the hifi option and appreciate any guidance on that, thank you.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...3494CABLE.html
Old 01-11-2022, 07:30 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm very committed to maintaining the stock appearance of my interior and think a "modern" head unit totally upsets the appearance of the cabin. So I was thrilled when I first saw the Porsche Classic Radio - it looks period-appropriate. But the display on it is just too small to have any use to me. So ultimately, all the unit represents to me is a multi-thousand dollar method of adding bluetooth functionality to my radio. I wanted Bluetooth (it's very useful to be sure), but there are far easier and less expensive ways to go about this.

In my case, I purchased a BT45-AUX unit ages ago and finally got around to installing it recently (in conjunction with the factory 6-CD changer and my CDR-210 head unit). I'm shocked by how well it functions. Streaming audio is easy. Placing/receiving calls is easy and the audio quality is excellent. I don't see any reason why I'd fork out thousands of dollars for the Porsche Classic Radio.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:04 AM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Hi, does anyone know if for a 993 with Hifi option - you still need to buy this special cable? I’m seeing people saying they didn’t need the adaptor cable with series 2 classic radio, but can’t really confirm / tell. I have a new classic radio on the way and 993 1997 c2s with the hifi option and appreciate any guidance on that, thank you.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...3494CABLE.html
Hi MC968CS, I had to buy the special cable for my 993 with the Hifi option when installing the PCCM.
The following users liked this post:
MC 968CS (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:46 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

I can understand that if one just wants Bluetooth. However having CarPlay in two of my other cars, it’s a much more integrated and powerful communication system, with it all being virtually hands free- even the way the messages get read and you respond hands free. I’ve had Bluetooth for a while but am going to swap CarPlay into the 993 next.

Originally Posted by asofine
I'm very committed to maintaining the stock appearance of my interior and think a "modern" head unit totally upsets the appearance of the cabin. So I was thrilled when I first saw the Porsche Classic Radio - it looks period-appropriate. But the display on it is just too small to have any use to me. So ultimately, all the unit represents to me is a multi-thousand dollar method of adding bluetooth functionality to my radio. I wanted Bluetooth (it's very useful to be sure), but there are far easier and less expensive ways to go about this.

In my case, I purchased a BT45-AUX unit ages ago and finally got around to installing it recently (in conjunction with the factory 6-CD changer and my CDR-210 head unit). I'm shocked by how well it functions. Streaming audio is easy. Placing/receiving calls is easy and the audio quality is excellent. I don't see any reason why I'd fork out thousands of dollars for the Porsche Classic Radio.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by MC 968CS; 01-12-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:15 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
I can understand that if one just wants Bluetooth. However having CarPlay in two of my other cars, it’s a much more integrated and powerful communication system, with it all being virtually hands free- even the way the messages get read and you respond hands free. I’ve had Bluetooth for a while but am going to swap CarPlay into the 993 next.
Interesting. When the Porsche Classic Radio was released, I was using an Android phone, and frustratingly they didn't make a Porsche Classic Radio w/ Android Auto that was compatible with a 993. I'm not sure if that's still the case. In any event I now use an iPhone.

Curious - what CarPlay features will you be able to use with a Porsche Classic Radio that you can't use via plain on Bluetooth + Siri? I've seen CarPlay in a few friends' cars, but the features they used all involved using a large touchscreen display. The display in the Porsche Classic Radio would be too small for these tasks. But maybe there are other CarPlay features I'm unaware of?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:20 PM
Auraraptor
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Auraraptor
Update: I found the OEM who mades it under contract for Porsche:

https://www.kraemerautomotive.com/de/produkte/

Still no clue about the splash screen though.
Minor update: Colors can be adjusted to a green or a pale amber

The the family of radios appears to run a vintage Android OS: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/p...-unit.4412091/

If anyone has managed to make a custom startup screen please let me know….I would pay money that service….

Old 12-02-2022, 04:18 AM
jayjayaa
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 questions:
1. Any updates for android phones? Mine only shows apply car play
2. The bluetooth under media is greyed out, how to fix it?
Old 08-17-2023, 12:40 AM
Masouthw
1st Gear

Default PCCM Classic Radio 993

Hi All,
Just curious if there's a need to install the GPS module on the PCCM Porsche classic unit. Given with apple Play accompanied with your phone's GPS, I'm not sure there's a need. Also I heard the external microphone isn't the best and you can leverage the internal microphone on the face of the unit. Has anyone had any experience with this and in not installing these two modules? I would like to get this unit but don't want to have to do a lot of wiring along the dash, etc....
Old 08-17-2023, 05:11 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 137 Posts

In my 968 , I wadded up the gps receiver behind the PCCM and Waze and Apple Maps seem to work fine. I did not plug in the external mic and cannot make hands free calls on the unit but most of the time “Hey Siri” works just fine but it may but using the mics on my phone or my Apple Watch.

In my 993 I installed a Blaupunkt Frankfurt head unit and while it only has a text readout and no CarPlay I honestly prefer it to the PCCM given how small the PCCM screen is and I’m more interested in the driving experience in the car anyway.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio