Sponsored by:

Koni Sport Active Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 02:35 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
I think the Konis will give you a similar height or maybe a bit lower to what you have now, the three cars that I know have installed the newer Koni Active have been very close to the heights when measure from the factory locations, as per the ride height chart. These are for the ROW M030 and M033. not the US version. The rear should end up at about 127mm in the rear, the front will need to adjusted to 144mm. (I have not measure the US version ride heights. ) That will give you a slight downward rake. Lowering the front any more than 144 mm, may cause bump steer without changing other parts.
See link to the topic and the chart, 3rd post has Andy's download that is a bit easier to read https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...de-height.html
There also variables such as differences in tires: brands/shape/tread wear, tire inflation pressures, gas tank level, wheel size, and age of the springs. Everybody I have talked to like the Koni, stiff enough to improve handling and yet not that harsh. While doing the shocks consider doing the control arm bushings if they are originals.

Thank you. Do you have any more side photos of your car where I can look at the wheel gaps on your car a bit more?
Here's my car with the RoW M030+Bilstein HDs. I'm hoping to match the wheel/fender gap with Konis -- especially in the front.

The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 08:19 AM
silverlock
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 69 Posts

For context: Koni Sports with Eibach springs. Koni calls this the “Sport Kit” in the U.S.

Low without being impractical.

Jlaa (08-14-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:22 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

My Koni's on ROW M033 springs are as low as they can go and the front does sit a bit higher than the rear. Car was corner balanced, ride is great and have been very happy with the set up.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:26 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

In the wild. The difference is hard to notice.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:28 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thank you sir!!! Super helpful.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:18 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 135 Posts

M033 with Koni FSD/Sport Active

Old 08-08-2023, 01:22 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Here's another thread with more pics.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...0-vs-m033.html
Old 08-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by centerpunch
M033 with Koni FSD/Sport Active

Thanks -- v helpful! Looks like the higher offset number of the 17" wheels pushes the front wheel inboard a bit and visually tricks the mind into seeing less front wheel gap too. Also ---- that's a rare perfect-condition under-bumper front spoiler :-)
Are the Konis set all the way to the bottom in your picture?
Old 08-08-2023, 01:49 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thanks -- v helpful! Looks like the higher offset number of the 17" wheels pushes the front wheel inboard a bit and visually tricks the mind into seeing less front wheel gap too. Also ---- that's a rare perfect-condition under-bumper front spoiler :-)
Are the Konis set all the way to the bottom in your picture?
I didn't give my alignment expert any instructions to see how low he could make it, I think he just adjusted them so it looked right. Don't know if that was all the way down or not.
Pic of heights and corner weights below.

The front looks so minty because after discovering a fingernail size rust spot by the windshield, I had an expert shop remove the windshield, fix everything correctly, install a new windshield, fix the gouges in the front bumper caused by previous owner's license plate screws being too long, remove the license plate holes and patch, install new underneath grilles, and paint and blend as necessary. $8500. (Then I sold the car in 2020, but bought it back a few months ago...)

More pics showing my car's height in this post.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post17163271

Jlaa (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 02:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thank you! May I ask:

a) Why you selected H&R springs w/ your Koni SAs instead of the seemingly more popular M030 / M033s?
b) How you feel about the ride quality of this setup?

Corollary -- you seem to have fit 996 turbo twists on the car, replacing the Tramonts. Looks great!
a) Easy! Came with the car I’ve had M030 springs on a previous 993 and wasn’t too impressed with the harshness. That said, I’ve also had H&R on a previous 993, VW, and BMW. I find H&R while still firm, less harsh than M030.
b) ride is firm but not harsh. But again this is all very subjective.

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
I think the Konis will give you a similar height or maybe a bit lower to what you have now, the three cars that I know have installed the newer Koni Active have been very close to the heights when measure from the factory locations, as per the ride height chart. These are for the ROW M030 and M033. not the US version. The rear should end up at about 127mm in the rear, the front will need to adjusted to 144mm. (I have not measure the US version ride heights. ) That will give you a slight downward rake. Lowering the front any more than 144 mm, may cause bump steer without changing other parts.
See link to the topic and the chart, 3rd post has Andy's download that is a bit easier to read https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...de-height.html
There also variables such as differences in tires: brands/shape/tread wear, tire inflation pressures, gas tank level, wheel size, and age of the springs. Everybody I have talked to like the Koni, stiff enough to improve handling and yet not that harsh. While doing the shocks consider doing the control arm bushings if they are originals.
Typically shocks/struts don’t determine the ride height. The springs determine your ride height. However the Bilsteins are fully adjustable and will allow you to drop lower than the Konis (rears not height adjustable) if both were fitted with the same lowering springs.

Last edited by P-daddy; 08-08-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Jlaa (08-08-2023)
Old 08-06-2024, 03:48 PM
s4senna
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the process of replacing my bilstein HD / H&R set up with Koni FSD (gold shocks) with M033 springs...and the rear sits HORRIBLY high! the Installed is a quality guy and it was a no nonsense install. the front seems like it will be ok once we use the adjustability, but the rear!! we are just baffled and dont know what to do. all th part numbers and color codes are correct too. here are pics, any tip or help would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: Koni Sport Active Install