Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Sport Active Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:12 AM
puako
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todynot - I am curious about the use of the spacer. I just installed the Konis myself. I did see the float that you mentioned.

thanks ray

Old 12-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Hi puako...I just completed install on one rear side last night and lowered the car off the lift. Measured the ride height and I’m coming up with exactly 127mm for the rear, which is right on the money.

I didn’t used the thicker spacer, just the Koni supplied one, so all seems to be correct.

The amount of spring float is very minimal, and I’ve confirmed this is expected with this arrangement, so I’m going to complete the install.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The spring should not be floating or loose when unloaded and on a lift. This is a drawback of using a shock with a fixed welded lower perch. The spring is the wrong length for that setup. The spring sets the height. I had Eibachs in the past with the standard Monroes and the car sat very low. I even had trouble getting in and out of my driveway, had to drive diagonally onto the street. I had not installed them so don’t know if there was spring float or a spacer. I didn’t do my own work back in 2000.
That spacer may do the trick.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:35 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs993
The spring should not be floating or loose when unloaded and on a lift. This is a drawback of using a shock with a fixed welded lower perch. The spring is the wrong length for that setup. The spring sets the height. I had Eibachs in the past with the standard Monroes and the car sat very low. I even had trouble getting in and out of my driveway, had to drive diagonally onto the street. I had not installed them so don’t know if there was spring float or a spacer. I didn’t do my own work back in 2000.
That spacer may do the trick.
Most people use M030 springs on Konis and they will float. When I had Konis I didn't want to worry about the spring not seating properly after lifting, so I had it zip tied to the top hat. The combo otherwise works fine.

I ended up getting adjustable coilovers with helper springs, so not an issue anymore.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:51 PM
puako
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todynot - Thank you. I won't worry about it. When I had the car aligned and corner balanced he did mention the float. He wasn't concerned as I will not be tracking the car.
thanks again, ray
Old 12-06-2020, 07:01 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had the konis s/a for a year now with the m030 springs and sway bars. Mine will float when the car is lifted but it all comes together on the ground. I never considered it to be an issue as the suspension feels great. My only beef with the konis is I wish that they would adjust a tad lower.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:11 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwood
I have had the konis s/a for a year now with the m030 springs and sway bars. Mine will float when the car is lifted but it all comes together on the ground. I never considered it to be an issue as the suspension feels great. My only beef with the konis is I wish that they would adjust a tad lower.
Please post a side shot. I’d like to see your ride height. TIA
Old 12-08-2020, 05:03 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Please post a side shot. I’d like to see your ride height. TIA
‘here is the best shots that I have with the stock wheels and tire size.it measures one finger in the back and two in the front.

Last edited by Bigwood; 12-08-2020 at 07:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (08-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigwood
‘here is the best shots that I have with the stock wheels and tire size.it measures one finger in the back and two in the front.
Thank you for the photos. I’m running Konis as well and wished the rears were adjustable.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

@Bigwood , @Pdaddy and others --- I am considering replacing my RoW M030 + Bilstein HD setup with a RoW M030 + Koni Special Active (FSD) setup .... in the name of ride compliance.
However, I have read through this thread and am somewhat concerned that that the front end with Koni Special Actives may be a bit higher than I'd like .... even if the front strut were adjusted for the lowest ride height.
I have read above that with Koni Special Actives, that the gap between the tire and the front fender is "two fingers" .... (unclear on where the struts are set wrt ride height). Can anyone provide feedback on whether I can achieve these results below (see pictures) with RoW M030 and Koni Special Actives? (below photos are what I have achieved with the Bilstein HDs). Thank you.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:39 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Ja- I’m sure you’re aware that the KSA are only adjustable at the front. The rears are non height adjustable. This leaves your rear ride height totally dependent on your choice of lowering springs. Here’s my car with stock wheel/tire combo on Konis and H&R springs. The rear wheel gap is about 1 finger parallel to the floor. The front wheel gap is 1 finger at approx. -30 deg. from parallel. In other words, I can barely fit my bony finger in there

Last edited by P-daddy; 08-07-2023 at 10:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by P-daddy:
Jlaa (08-07-2023), SpeedyC2 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:02 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Thanks @p-daddy for those photos! Your ride height looks terrific - exactly what I would shoot for (but not sure if I can achieve it with M030 springs + Koni SAs) May I ask if why you chose the H&R springs over factory RoW M030 springs? Is it because H&Rs supposedly ride 6mm lower in the front and 3mm lower in the rear than RoW M030 springs?

@Bigwood - your photos are very nice - and your photos with Koni SAs looks a a fair bit higher than @P-daddy 's ride height photos. May I ask if you are using RoW M030 springs or USA M030 springs?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2023, 11:28 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

I’m by no means an expert in this department but I’m pretty certain you will not achieve my ride height with Koni/M030/M033 springs (at least from the photos I’ve seen over the last 14 years on RL). By my guesstimate I would say the H&R will give you 5-7mm lower stance.
Oh btw, no floating springs with H&R when you lift your car off the ground

Last edited by P-daddy; 08-07-2023 at 11:32 PM.
Jlaa (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:41 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I’m by no means an expert in this department but I’m pretty certain you will not achieve my ride height with Koni/M030/M033 springs (at least from the photos I’ve seen over the last 14 years on RL). By my guesstimate I would say the H&R will give you 5-7mm lower stance.
Oh btw, no floating springs with H&R when you lift your car off the ground

Thank you! May I ask:

a) Why you selected H&R springs w/ your Koni SAs instead of the seemingly more popular M030 / M033s?
b) How you feel about the ride quality of this setup?

Corollary -- you seem to have fit 996 turbo twists on the car, replacing the Tramonts. Looks great!
Old 08-08-2023, 12:48 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the Konis will give you a similar height or maybe a bit lower to what you have now, the three cars that I know have installed the newer Koni Active have been very close to the heights when measure from the factory locations, as per the ride height chart. These are for the ROW M030 and M033. not the US version. The rear should end up at about 127mm in the rear, the front will need to adjusted to 144mm. (I have not measure the US version ride heights. ) That will give you a slight downward rake. Lowering the front any more than 144 mm, may cause bump steer without changing other parts.
See link to the topic and the chart, 3rd post has Andy's download that is a bit easier to read https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...de-height.html
There also variables such as differences in tires: brands/shape/tread wear, tire inflation pressures, gas tank level, wheel size, and age of the springs. Everybody I have talked to like the Koni, stiff enough to improve handling and yet not that harsh. While doing the shocks consider doing the control arm bushings if they are originals.

Last edited by StevenGilroy; 08-08-2023 at 12:55 AM.
Jlaa (08-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Koni Sport Active Install