Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First Posts and New Users (aka: “Survivalists Guide to Rennlist”)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:26 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default First Posts and New Users (aka: “Survivalists Guide to Rennlist”)

There was an idea to put up a FAQ for first time posters here, so here is my attempt at a “first pass”. If others would like to add some suggestions, hints and ideas – please post them below…..

To the first time poster:

First – Welcome!

Second – There are some links you may want to view first. Based on "Critic Reviews" - they are pretty good:
993 FAQ - New Visitors: Please Read This FAQ First and
993 board summary ! Just finished reading it all

Also, if you have a general question, you may want to try the Forums “Search” feature at the top of the page. It’s pretty handy – and you’ll find over 1,000,000 posts that discuss anything from using Peanut Butter to remove wax from rubber – through to finding out why that CEL light keeps coming on. There are so many posts, you should find some relevant threads on subjects that you didn’t even know you were interested in.

Third – if you can’t find something, or have a question about the answer – post it up! To save some bandwidth in the replies, you can also let folks know you did a “Search”, but didn’t find what you were looking for…

Fourth – Feel free to post up a “I’m New” or "First Post" and tell the folks a little about yourself and about your car. Pictures – or links to pictures of your car, really are terrific, and all enjoy seeing "your ride"…

Fifth – this is a community of tens of thousands from throughout the world. Sometimes, we all express ourselves differently then how you might have written a reply to your own post. So, please keep that in mind – as it’s sometimes daunting to read a reply and wonder if that person meant it as a “Flame” – especially to your first post!

Sixth – have fun… You may get a few replies meant in jest – and it’s OK to laugh at them. I know I do ….

Finally – Welcome to the Rennlist Forums! Have fun and enjoy...!!!

+ + + +

To Experienced Forum Members and Users:

First –Thanks for taking a minute to read this!!!….

Second – Remember, there was a time when you made your first post as well..!!! So – before you post a reply, ask yourself how you would feel reading it as a “newbie”. If you would have been uncomfortable with it – chances are they will, too.

Third – If you are a “Rennlist Member” – please remember, there was a time that you weren’t either. What made you choose to become a Member? Why? Chances are – it wasn’t from a verbal beating, but rather – you wanted to become part of something pretty cool. So, if folks aren’t a Rennlist Member – that’s fine! They will if, they too, experience what it is you already participate within and would like to share that same excitement.

And Finally Please remember - this site is open to anyone – as long as they share the passion and enthusiasm about the car, the community and the site. Together - let’s make them feel “Welcome”!!!

(BTW: You can thank Phil "I don't need no stinkin' upgrades.." McGrath for this idea )
Old 01-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts
Talking

I like to think that I was the catalyst for the FAQ
Old 01-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John...Thanks for the info...I'm not a new member, but its good info...I would like to learn how to post a picture of my car,but I'm a little slow with this computer stuff...I'll figure it out...I hope...When does one become an addict and not a user.....Dane
Old 01-30-2004, 03:31 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

I have noticed in the FAQ that some of the links are busted. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by KatyTX
I have noticed in the FAQ that some of the links are busted. Am I doing something wrong?
Tim
I'm sure there's some more detailed computer geek explanation, but some time back the Forums were upgraded by John to improve speed & add features. In the process the old links became no longer useable causing the problems you've encountered. In addition, the ability to search a couple of years of archives was lost. You'll also notice visible coding (e.g., bold, fonts, etc.) in many old posts which I think is the result of the change from HTML to vB Code (?). I'm sure if there were a cost effective (time and/or money) cure, John would have done it. I guess that was the price of progress & the present board is muuuuuuuch faster & better.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

John - Nice format and info.

Phil - great idea.

And thanks for keeping the link from Danny on "993 FAQ". I just looked at it again and saw some new info.

John - Do you need another location (in the middle of the State) for CT for a PPI ?
Old 01-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Welcome newbies, and group hug to all
Renn-veterans.

Great post John.

I nominate John D. as HWFM team representative to lead the next U.N. peacekeeping mission.

I'm sure he'll work out better than our last U.N. nomination.

Phil led our UNICEF fundraising effort, but he took the money and bought new wheels.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks from a newbie. A couple posts, but still fairly new. Joined to support the cause. I did the same on the Formula Ford Underground when I still had one and it was alive. Back on the street now for a multitude of reasons. Don't have one yet, but looking at 95 993 or 00 986S.
Lot-O-Info here and mucho useful for research.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:53 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All newbies should be at least considering joining by paying for a subscription. The thing that got me is the comment someone made that if you find the board useful, you should do something to support it and insure that it remains in existence! Aside from enjoying reading it, I found some advice (and advisors) here that are worth far more than the $32 for a two-year subscription. Most newbies who start reading the board regularly will be hard pressed to deny the utility of it, and thereby will feel compelled to subscribe!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

This is great info, thank you. I was looking for the PPI shops listed for Orange County, CA and found that the link for this is not working.

Does anyone have any good recommendations, or could you point me to that information. I am looking at cars now and I want to know where to get one checked when I find the right one.

Thank you.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:12 PM
DJM914/6
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

How far can we go with Admin harasment before we gat banned? Can we just point out his new found love of wine and cheese or can we mention that white cushy coupes are chick cars?

Hi John, I found the forums again!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: First Posts and New Users (aka: “Survivalists Guide to Rennlist”)

Originally posted by John D.

Third – If you are a “Rennlist Member” – please remember, there was a time that you weren’t either. What made you choose to become a Member? Why? Chances are – it wasn’t from a verbal beating, but rather – you wanted to become part of something pretty cool. So, if folks aren’t a Rennlist Member – that’s fine!
John D,

How about if they already have 1100+ postings and still have not become members??? seen this in the 996 forum a lot
Old 07-12-2004, 07:54 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Randy M,

Nice picture of Kerry! Here's a guy that can really keep his eye on the ball, eh?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:17 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea but lots of the links do not work, for example, ALL THE 993 COLOURS!!! By Tim Ashfield
Regards

P.S. just rejoined after a 18 month absence. Just applied for membership today.

Last edited by 993RS; 07-17-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:04 AM
cooz
Pro

Default THANKS TO ALL FOR THIS SITE

My enthusiasm goes way back....my membership is brand new.

Cooz 95 C2

Quick Reply: First Posts and New Users (aka: “Survivalists Guide to Rennlist”)