radio replacement: porsche cr-1 and cdc-2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 09:21 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Question radio replacement: porsche cr-1 and cdc-2 questions

I just had my wiring harness replaced and also discovered that my radio manual and some other bits have taken a walk. The last place I remember seeing it was at a diner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio where I stopped to eat lunch after picking up the car.

By the way, I have the '95 993c4 with the porsche cr-1/alpine head unit and the cdc-2 in the trunk. Reading the available posts it sounds like if it was a Becker I might have a chance of getting a working code, but with the alpine unit I am probably SOL.

Porsche supplied a four digit code, but I don't have the manual to know if I am entering it correctly. I turn the unit on, see CODE, punch in the four digits using the 1-6 buttons and the unit just sits there showing me those numbers and nothing happens. Am I supposed to do anything else? What is the reset procedure once it locks? I have left the key in the accessory position for some time until CODE reappears in the display and tried again.

Unit looks like this:

What are my options for replacing the head unit with another that will still be able to control the cdc-2?

Does anyone have a cr-1 with the code cards?

Should I just chuck it all and listen to the motor sing and my valentine one howl?

*edit* wondering if editing will change the account options...
Old 12-13-2002, 01:50 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Had to pull out the manual for my CR-1 (replaced it with a Kenwood mini-disc receiver a while back)

You should have a 4-digit code; lets say it's 1523

Turn radio on, should see "CODE" on display
Button 1: press it once
Button 2: press it 5 times
Button 3: press it twice
Button 4: press it 3 times

Radio should work. If it doesn't, you'll prob. see the 4 entered digits on the display. If so, push the "BAND SELECTOR" button for more than 2 seconds till display shows "CODE". Then start again.

Every time you fail and hit the "BAND SELECTOR" button, it takes longer for "CODE" to reappear. Screw up 5 times and you have to wait an hour before you're able to try again!

Want a CR-1? Make me an offer. For info, the harness was cut off to be used with the Kenwood (there's a comfortable 6" of wire out the back of the unit). So, you have to splice one onto this unit.

Contact me privately if interested.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:33 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ray:
That is the most helpful reply from you I have ever read! Are you getting softer over time or did that fella's moniker get to ya? Happy Holidays
Old 12-13-2002, 10:28 AM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's weird. I have a CR-1 with code
2216. After disconnecting/reconnecting the
battery, it comes up displaying "CODE".
I hit the "2", "2", "1", "6", a total
of four 'keystrokes' and the thing springs
back to life immediately.
JonT
Old 12-13-2002, 11:45 AM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the blaupunkt and possible sony labelled cr-1 units use the punch the button at digit location method and the alpine uses a 1-6 code where you push the button corresponding to the number.

Porsche came back with a code of 2231 for mine, but it just sits there with that value on it and goes back to a blank screen.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:58 AM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, my CR-1 works like JonT's does.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:54 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

Ray? If you are reading this again, I tried your email which bounced and tried a board private message which I am not sure if it arrived.

Please send me some contact information to bearl@cisco.com.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
owenradke
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grouchy
I think the blaupunkt and possible sony labelled cr-1 units use the punch the button at digit location method and the alpine uses a 1-6 code where you push the button corresponding to the number.

Porsche came back with a code of 2231 for mine, but it just sits there with that value on it and goes back to a blank screen.

Pull out your ashtray and look up behind the panel just above the ashtray. The code is written there.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 PM
CDN99boxster
1st Gear

Have 99 boxster. CD-R 220 radio not working. Purchased a rebuild cd 22. What is the difference. Thanks for your help
Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 PM
c4Weasel
1st Gear

Cool CD-2 Radio reset procedure

Hey guys, I think I have a procedure that will help you when you have to reset your CD-2 radio. I Installed a new battery in my 1994 Carrera Widebody. I had the same troubles as many but figured out a fix. First of all, as many know I'm sure, when the power is cut from the radio for any reason, the radio "thinks" it may have been "stolen" and demands being recoded. Also, despite others' posts, my code is five (5) digits and the code is found both in the original manuals and on a sticker under my front hood. The simple fix was to cut the power again. I did this by turning the red, broad paddle switch under the front hood, right next to the negative pole of my new battery and switching it back on again. You could probably just remove the negative cable and put it back on again and get the same effect. Then, into the cab again, turn the ignition on, turn the radio on, and voila, the STOP message is gone and the CODE message reappears. At that point, I simply re-enter my code by using the number buttons. Important to remember if you make an error in your first try, to continue until you have completed the sequence, even if it is wrong. Example...Let's say your code is 55676. If you enter 554, and realize you made a mistake, just keep going and add two more digits, which should allow you to start over again, at least twice, without a timed delay. Hope this is useful. If doesn't work for you, please contact me and I would be happy to try to help.

Quick Reply: radio replacement: porsche cr-1 and cdc-2 questions