Sponsored by:

Help:Parts Shipping Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help:Parts Shipping Question

Anyone have any recommendations on how to ship racing seats? The package size (36x26x24) bumps it into a size that Fedex & UPS would charge $160 per seat to ship and USPS won't ship at all (too large).

Any ideas? I am buying them from a private party, and we are trying to set something up that makes sense.

With all of the parts we have all purchased from other Rennlisters, I am sure that I am overlooking the obvious method.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Try Greyhound bus service. Seriously.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

David,

Call a common carrier in your area such as Yellow Freight, Roadway or USF Bestway. You will also have to see if they service the origin as well as your destination.

You would have to have them packaged up and ready to go. Your seller would also have to bring the seats to the nearest terminal for drop off. (save the P/U fee). Unless the seller has a business that has pick up anyway.

You can also try an airline under cargo freight. I've seen some pretty good rates for this method as well.

Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Thank you for the ideas. I was going to look into a third party common carrier, but wanted to see if there was something more convenient first. That may be the way that we have to go.

Greg,
Funny you should mention that. The guy that I am buying from is flying out here on business in three weeks and we have been toying with the idea of him bringing them out himself. We haven't contacted the airline yet to see if it is possible though.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:47 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

May want try taking the seats directly to the a air freight company, like Airborne. This works well if you business, or association has some type of discount/CHQ program with them. They may have low rates for say 3 day delivery. May also check with seat manufacture and determine how they ship to their customers.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:31 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Greg is right, go Greyhound. Only PITA is the buyer/recipient will need to go to the station to pick it up. I shipped a brush bar for a Rodeo one time to Oregon and it got there in 48 hours. It was very, very cheap.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:04 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both shipped and received pairs of seats by FedEx Ground. In the case that I sent them (993 sport seats) I used two boxes - one for each seat. I wrapped them in several layers of foam and bubble wrap being careful to make sure no surface was exposed. Then, I dropped each seat into a UHaul moving box and cut the box down to size around the seat. I then brought it directly to the FedEx office with the Internet airbill. Cost was about $70 for both.

In the case that I received seats, the guy used one huge box and dropped both seats in the box "facing eachother" with no wrapping. Luckily no damage but I do not recommend this approach.

In any case, two examples of using FedEx Ground for shipping Porsche seats.

Oh, and there is just one major problem with Greyhound. You can insure each box for only something like $350. When you are shipping $3000 sport seats this is just not an option.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

www.baxglobal.com very very inexpensive and great service. DAS roll bar Chicago to FL last year 80.00. very fast ground shipping. Insure true value ect.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:52 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought a pinball machine on ebay and used an airfrieght service recommended there for $150 from anywhere to anywhere. Item was palletized and bubble-wrapped, which would be perfect for the seats.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Thank you all for the pointers. I guess talking to Fedex and UPS via the phone with the dimensions probably was too vague for them as they quoted me $160 per seat.

I just spoke with one third party common carrier and if the delivery is to a business and the item is dropped off at their dock then it was only $140 for both seats.

I will contact Greyhound as I am on a bit of a deadline as I wanted the car to be ready to race by next Friday. The limit for insurance is not much of a factor as I am paying less for the seats than the insurance limit (lucky me ).
Old 01-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, try Forward Air...no affiliation.

I have used them to ship large / heavy items. As example, I just shipped a 993 engine cross country for $160. I have shipped motorcycles, transmissions, engine (as noted). This latest engine was a 450# pallet. I could only imagine this cost on a common carrier...

Here is the only issues. 1.) Both parites need to go to the terminal near the airport. 2.) They only accect funds by Money Order or Wire if you do not have an account.

Given the cost, the issues were minor.

$0.02
Old 01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

David:

I shipped my DAS bar for about 70 (?). Danny J. shipped it to me for about the same. We both used Airborne Express.

If you want help with installation, I will be home Friday night (1/30). I am in Chicago and Minneapolis during the week next week.

The car better be ready!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:19 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Thank you all for the tips. They are going out Greyhound for $50.

The question is, as they are seats will Greyhound now have two more passengers on the bus

Mark, we are sending them to Glen and Ricks shop directly so they will install for me. They are planning on having the car done by Thursday and I will pick up on Friday PM. Thank you for the offer to help with the install.

By the way, the seats came out of a 935. Do you guys think that is good for another couple of hp???

Quick Reply: Help:Parts Shipping Question