993 Forum 1995-1998

Cab vs. Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Eddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab vs. Targa

I'm getting closer to my dream car, just test drove a very nice 97 Targa. I was stuck on Cab's but after driving, the Targa is very nice. I know I should just purchase and get it over with and enjoy the car. But after 25 years I want to get it right. The car will be driven to work 1-2 days a week, 100 miles round trip, I'm in CA. It seems easier to hit the button and open up the roof as opposed to the cab top and I wonder how much I will really lower the cab roof. Just looking for opinions.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

You may want to consider the Targa top potential mechanical issues. Though many people never have problems with them, the '96 and '97 models are known to occasionally have problems (which Porsche corrected in the '98 model). I would recommend looking for a '98 if at all possible. Otherwise, the Targas are awsome!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:01 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default go targa!

eddy,
targa top is great for nighttime and/or cooler weather. i bet out where you are its a no-brainer to keep it open 24/7 in any clear weather. and it's more fun in the rain under the glass coop. and a little rarity appeal too!
good luck!
john.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

Eddy:

A few things to consider. The cab top should not be left down overnight, so effectively, you must raise it if the car will sit for more than a few hours. It's easy enough - just a push of the button. One more thing. You should also use the boot to protect the headliner. So, I've found that even though I've used my windshield wipers only a few times in the past few years of driving the 993 in SoCal, I don't often lower the top because then I have to fit the boot - about five minutes of fussing, unless it's for a prolonged drive. I tend to seldom lower the top on short trips if highway speeds are likely.

You could just leave the top down and deal with the consequences - i.e., buy a new top in a few years. I met a chap at one porsche event who hadn't had his top up on his SC for over ten years. I met another Boxster owner who removed his entirely.

But then there's that great flat six sound uninterrupted by glass and metal....
Old 01-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Stu
Instructor

I've always been a soft-top kind of guy - had many convertibles, but I have to say that I love the new-style (96 on up) Targa top! I had an old-style Targa (84) that was fun but kind of a pain to take on and off. But the new power glass top is fantastic - in fact, I think it's an engineering marvel! Porsche really got it right with this design. I have heard of problems with the 96/97 and that's one of the main reasons why I bought a 98. Thus far, not a problem at all.

The best difference between Targa and cab, in my opinion, is the lack of wind when driving at highway speeds. I had a Boxter and while great fun with the top down on the freeway, you had to be careful everything was secure, else it went bye-bye in the wind. No so with the Targa, as all you feel is a nice breeze, yet the sun on your face. Seems the only down-side is that all things being equal, the Targa will be priced higher than the cabrio. Go figure!

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:06 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use it or lose it.
i put the top down nearly every time i drive... whenever it's not raining... which is almost always here in l.a. i only use the "boot" when i'm off for a full day of top down driving & will be parking it for short-moments. so for me, the cab is a must.

maybe a targa is more your speed? especially if you're already questioning the cab.
the cab is higher maintenance as well----> something to think about.

not sure... but if you're concerned w/ operating the top, i installed a "quick-top switch" which allowed me to operate my old boxster's top while driving @ low speeds (avoiding having to pull over). not sure, but maybe there's a "hack-diy" for the 993 cab as well. (?)

whatever the case- buy the car already... life is too short.

cheers! & bol
Old 01-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

My 96 Targa has 72,000 miles and the roof has not given me any major problems. IMHO, some personal observations:

1 - The glass top give a very bright interior to the car. When I get into a coupe or cab it feels very dark and closed in.

2 - In the rain the top is awesome...the rain beads flow off the glass. My kids especially like the look!

3 - IMHO, the Targa is stiffer than the Cab since the roof is bolted onto the car. I have not had any flexing problems and it runs on the track just fine even with PSS-9's.

4 - The top is all glass...no worrying about scratches on the fold of the cab etc.

5 - You can open the roof a little or a lot depending on the weather...I have even opened the roof in a light rain and due to the wind nothing gets into the car (unless you stop of course)!

6 - The rear seats have more head room than a cab and I think even the coupe...if you have kids (I have two) they notice the difference.

7 - The car had a very neat look with the glass over the top...very sleek and it goes well with lots of colors.

8 - While many talk about the top needing maintenance (I have avoided this so far) so does the Cab...and if someone slices the top watch out. The Targa is way more secure when locked up.

Geeze, the list goes on and on. In short I really the Targa concept and feel that, for me, its the best choice between the Cab and couple.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-22-2004, 02:50 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're going to be worried about the negative aspects of a cab, it's probably not worth it for you. You have to really have to like Cabs and understand there are some shortcomings. I've had two 911 Cabs and accepted the potential issues upfront. This has allowed me to really enjoy owning each of them. The Targa certainly has it's benefits, and it's a good choice if going "part way" is acceptable. If you must have the "full deal" then you'd probably not be content unless you bought a cab. Here's how I've dealt with some of the issues mentioned:

Cuts/rips: Buy good insurance, typically comprehensive claims don't effect your rate unless they are strangely routine.
Hassle of the Boot: I've never had any degradation of my liner. I keep mine in the back seat and it installs in ~ 2 min. I don't worry about using it unless I'm on the freeway or all day errands (it looks better).
Maintenance: Have the top drive cables inspected/adjusted every ~ 3 years. If you don't want to hassle with that you can always disconnect them and manually raise/lower the top. I had a manual top on my '87 and it was great. I actually sought it out on recommendations from P-shops and didn't regret it.

Face it - either way you can't lose, they're both 993's!
(I still wish I had a coupe at times - the shape/lines are incredible)
Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I did a lot of slow commuting in my '87 manual top Cab, and got tired of too much sun and breathing exhaust and dust. I put the boot on everywhere I went, no hassle. I almost got a 993 Targa. Darn nice design, but I was concerned about the mechanics of it and potential maintenance, as I was about the Cab maintenance when I learned what a new top would cost. The 993 is already fun. Cab or Targa even more so, but at a price.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Mark '98 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove a 1995 Cab for a few years and I now drive a 1998 Targa.

The loud, windy, open air feeling you get with the Cab is awesome. If you think you'll drive with the top down a lot, you'll love the Cab. I did not like the closed in feeling you get with the top up - there is no glass at the sides of the rear seats and the back vinyl rear window is small. I have recently heard of more cables break problems on the Cabs - there are some strings you can search on this forum. I had some wear spots on the top that come from not putting the top up enough, at least for overnight.
I was happy with the Cab untill I stumbled on a '98 Targa that I had to have.

The Targa has all the plusses that Mike J mentioned. I use it as a daily driver. It gives me enough open air feeling; yet, I can easily have a conversation at normal speech volume with a passenger with the roof open. I like the looks of the Targa much more too. Check for strings on this Forum about squeaks and rattles that some find in the 993 Targas. I have some monor rattles; but, compared to the noise of the Cab even with the top up, the Targa is very quiet. One reason to try to find a 1998 is that there were only 122 Targas made for the U.S. according to the Porsche Redbook.

Both the Cab and the Targa were based on the same frame - I too think the Targa is a little stiffer, and consequently handles a little better (I acknowledge that there are likely model year differences that may account for this.)

Good luck with your decision. You'll have fun with either one. Mark
Old 01-22-2004, 06:03 AM
solsrch
Pro

I think the targa is a fantastic design and can understand why folks love them. However, for me open top driving is an emotional issue. I want the full experience. Yes, I have to mess about with the boot but unless it is really cold or something my top is down and I'm loving it. On bad weather days (frequent in the DC area) I'll drive my truck. When it is nice I've got the top down, sunglasses on and listening to the magnificent sound of that 3.6 with MaxFlows. It never fails to produce a smile and put me in a good mood.
As far as maintenance, besides what has been mentioned I do tape off the top and treat the fabric once a year with Porsche's fabric stuff. Besides making it more water repellent I feel like it may help the fabric actually last a little longer. That whole process only takes an hour, so it is no big deal.
As others have said though, you can't go wrong either way. I would tend to follow that little voice or whatever you feel in your gut is the right choice for you. Kind of like choosing color.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:33 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

A little off your request but I can't help but suggest that before buying any Porsche you should get a prepurchase inspection from a shop knowledgeable in the model you want-either cab or targa. It can save a lot of hassles in the future. The only problems with my new car were related to the top cables and belts-both non issues for me. That was not true of the other 2 cars I considered when they had PPIs.

As was already said-you can't go wrong with the fun per mile factor with either.

Al
Old 01-22-2004, 12:38 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think it's true re: body flex on the cab... actually i read somewhere the targa flexes a bit more... or was it, weighs more?.... can't remember exactly. i'll try to find the article.

(who cares... they both are great!)
Old 01-22-2004, 12:39 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love my Targa. Living in a not too good area of New Orleans I was worried about someone doing something to the cab top and the Targa took care of that. With the top and windows open you don't even notice the side rails and with the top closed in the rain you can watch it hit the roof. To each his own. I have never had a problem with my top although I am always careful to open and close it when the car is on a flat piece of road and not twisted. Drive both and see which one you like best. A question to other Targa people. What exactly is the difference between the 96-97 and the 98?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
lexpilot
Racer

I drive my coupe with the sunroof open all the time. I don't even mind leaving the roof open while parked for a half hour. I agree about the open air feeling but the security issues keep me away from a cab. And, as you know the most recent sales years Porsche is selling as many cabs as just regular coupes. I imagine the relative rareness of the Targa poses part of the problem. But , If you've actually found a suitable Targa for your needs then go for it.

Quick Reply: Cab vs. Targa