993 Forum 1995-1998

Hello! from new 993 owner in AZ

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM
AZ993
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hello! from new 993 owner in AZ

Hello,

I’ve been following this forum for several months daydreaming about a 993 and wondering about the ownership experience. I read what I thought would be a good amount about 993 issues and fixes and finally pulled the trigger and acquired one.

The car is a 1997 C2 with 71k miles. Arctic silver exterior and classic grey interior. Manual.

The previous owner had done quite a bit of work on the car over his 13-year ownership including:

- Engine rebuild by Callas Rennsport due to oil leak (2006 with 63k miles on odometer), with upgraded exhaust valve guides. According to receipt, Pistons and cylinders were out and SAI passages were cleaned.
- ROW suspension upgrade in 2005
- RS clutch and LWFW in 2005

From 2009, the car was stored for 3 years then sparingly driven for past 4-5 years.

Car arrived and seemed great but then I got the dreaded CEL (P0410 and P1411), before I’ve even gotten it past emissions. Admittedly I didn’t have a formal PPI done but I figured the risk of a recurrent SAI issue with so little mileage after a top end rebuild would be low (lesson learned). I haven’t put enough miles on the car to know if it’s consuming oil. As far as I can tell, the engine seems to pull strongly.

On to my questions:
1) For those familiar with Phoenix/Glendale, AZ, can you recommend a good mechanic? I’ve heard of Patrick Motorsports, Becks European and Don Jackson

2) Regarding the SAI CEL issue, as I understand it, the problem could range from the fuse, SAI pump failure, check valve failure or clogged SAI passages. In the setting of a prior top end rebuild less than 10k miles ago, I would think the likelihood of exhaust valve guides gone bad leading to repeat SAI passage clogging would be low. Does the throwing of both P0410 and P1411 as opposed to just one or the other indicate where along the system the problem may lie?

3) I’ve included a pic of the receipt of engine rebuild listing what was done... appears to me it’s more extensive than just a top end, is that right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Arrival!

After wash

Engine rebuild details - 2006

Engine rebuild details - 2006
Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ993

Car arrived and seemed great but then I got the dreaded CEL (P0410 and P1411), before I’ve even gotten it past emissions.
Welcome to the madness. Great looking 993. I would be surprised if the valves are an issue 8,000 mile after the rebuild. Also, I am hoping that the PO didn't clear the codes just prior to shipping it to you. I'll let the more knowledgeable folks here jump in with some good answers. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome. Great looking car. Enjoy and drive the heck out of it.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:51 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I also live in the Phoenix area and own a Polar Silver 993 coupe. I know it doesn't get to the root of your problem but the state of Arizona does not require an emission test on cars older than 20 years and insured as "classic" cars. If it's not your daily driver I'd insure it as a classic and be done with the emission testing for good as i did. This does require that you have another car insured as your DD.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Congrats! My advice is "Drive it like you stole it" OFTEN!!! These cars are ment to be driven!!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM
AZ993
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the responses thus far.

Nesposito - you have made my day! I wasn’t aware of that possibility with classic car insurance. Car won’t be a daily driver - maybe only an every other day

Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Congrats! I'm currently having a bunch of maintenance done at McIlvain Motors in Phoenix (right by Sky Harbor) on my 997. Came highly recommended. Heard good things about Patrick Motorsports as well,l but I live in Gilbert, so too far. I have a 993 Turbo as well. I'm sure I'll see you at some point at a C&C or Amp! On the classic car registration, I was told it had to be 25 years old. So I recently did the emission on my 1996 993. It passed so no big deal, but you should make sure of that. Insurance is cheaper if you tell them it isn't a daily. My insurance gives me 3000 miles a year on my cars and it about 1/2-2/3 what my daily is that is the same value.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

If you don’t need to pass emissions and you don’t want to see the CEL anymore, you can get a ECU flash on your car and be done with it. Also can disable the immobilizer while you are at it! Gets rid of both 993 Achilles Heels in one shot.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:16 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

no problem. You can PM me if you have any questions about it. I have my insurance through American Family. it's a stated value policy and there is no mileage limitation.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:42 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Beautiful car! I hope you can get the issues sorted out quickly and without too much expense. These cars are such fun to drive!

With regard to the extensive work by the PO, I'm betting I'd hate to the see the cost of the ETC, ETC... line item on the receipt!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:13 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I would reset the codes and go do the drive cycle and see what happens. Go from there.

Maybe it just resets and your good?

Is there any other maintenance history?

/
Old 09-24-2018, 05:18 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sadly another Callas horror story. SAI has nothing to do with Pistons and cylinders. It's the heads! Of course had you known what you are doing this wouldn't have been a problem
Old 09-24-2018, 07:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Nice car!
Originally Posted by AZ993
Regarding the SAI CEL issue, as I understand it, the problem could range from the fuse, SAI pump failure, check valve failure or clogged SAI passages. In the setting of a prior top end rebuild less than 10k miles ago, I would think the likelihood of exhaust valve guides gone bad leading to repeat SAI passage clogging would be low. Does the throwing of both P0410 and P1411 as opposed to just one or the other indicates where along the system the problem may lie?
  • First, you will need to verify all four of your oxygen sensors are working properly as the clogged SAI port problem is diagnosed indirectly via the values provided by the oxygen sensors.
  • I would then actuate the air pump manually, this can be done with OBDC diagnostic software such as Durametric. If the pump runs you know it is working electrically,
    I would then manually test the vacuum actuated air pump valve between the pump and the check valve making sure it actuates
  • I would then replace the check valve ( a good DIY project), clear the codes and see if they return.
Most likely your problem is with the check valve, no biggie,
If you or your mechanic is using Durametric make sure to download the latest version of the software as the earlier version gives erroneous oxygen sensor codes.
It is very easy to overfill the oil on these cars which may be contributing to gumming up the air injectors so also verify at the dip stick with a HOT running engine that the dip stick registers no more than 1/3 of the spiral
fill-range section on the stick. Filling it to full seems to be an over-fill for some of these cars.
Andy
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Jim.L.
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue with the cell, took it to Jack (see below) and he took care of it however it will come back, trust me. I thought it was the whole SAI issue but it turned out to be old clogged cats. Put on a new X-pipe and high flow cats from Fabspeed and the light has not returned. That was my experience, I am sure others will have suggestions. Great looking car, have fun and like most have said.......drive it, a lot!

https://www.pcarshops.com/arizona/stuttgart-southwest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello! from new 993 owner in AZ