993 Forum 1995-1998

Targa Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
paulhollands
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Wheels

I'm such a perfectionist that I like things to look just right and have therefore turned my attentions to the many nuts and bolts, which hold the 993 Targa wheels together.

Owing to years of exposure to the elements these bolt heads have become a mixture of corrosion and flaky black paint. Therefore I'd love to remove a few at a time and repaint them black (think there's a song somewhere here!)

Obviously I'll be selective about which ones I remove and how many, since I don't want the wheels to fall apart and I know that's its going to take me ages, but well its winter so the car doesn't come out much.

My question is; Does anyone have any opinions on if this is a good thing to do or not....from a safety perspective of course. I'll obviously torque them up and thread lock them, but is this type of thing a big no no? I know some people will say that playing with the wheels in this way is not advisable, but then I'm sure we've all taken the wheels off our cars in the past without any issues and there's only 5 of those bolts.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:52 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the same problem in that I like everything perfect and the bolts on my wheels are starting to look bad. I called Wheel Enhancement, they have an ad in Panorama, and they said that they could not refinish the wheels because when they took the bolts out they ruined them and Porsche would not sell them replacements. LA Porsche Dismantlers told me they had a "perfect" set and would sell it for $1,000. I am suer there are other sets around. If you find another solution I sure would like to hear it.
Robert
Old 01-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I found the Targa wheels a pain since the little bolts pickup and hold a lot of dirt. If I took them out to clean them I would powdercoat them instead of painting but that seems like a pain...better just to get new wheels! ;-)
Old 02-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Eddy
Advanced

Looking at a Targa, but it has the standard 993 wheels. I can have either set, opinions? I also lean towards the original wheels, because that's factory stock.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What wheels does your's have? Here is my car (sorry about the quality fo the picture).

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Eddy
Advanced

The car I'm considering has the cup wheels, but i can have the Targa wheels if I want. Just wondering how much of a pain are the Targa wheels to keep looking great?
Old 02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Does anyone have an idea on value of Targa wheels? I was offered a set, I think (waiting for pictures) for my C2. I have Cup wheels now (I assume, still hazy on designation, they are straight 5-spoke wheels).
So, what are the Targa wheels worth and are they any better (lighter, stronger) than Cup wheels? I'm not sure that they look better to me, lately I like simplicity more and more.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The nuts on the Targa wheels are a PITA. I would very much like to have wheels like the RUF but they are too heavy. Can't afford much anyways so I am keeping them for now. I like the one-piece wheels just based on how simple they are to clean.

I bet the Targa wheels are heavier than the Cup wheels. Dunno about the strength.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

My favorite wheels by far are the 18" Turbo look that come on the C4S but I am totally biased. If I had a Targa, I would definitely want the OEM wheels to that car, no matter how hard it was to clean them. I just like the original look that cars come with. That's me. Everyone's different. I DO love the Supercup look, though. Hard to beat that aggressive look!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’m a nut for originality and insist on wheels that came as original equipment (or option), especially on a low production car as a Targa. For resale value I would suggest you keep a good set of Targa wheels if you make a change.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Stu
Instructor

That's exactly what I have done. Bought a set of 18" Classics and keep the OEM Targa wheels in storage for when I sell the car to a guy like Rich above!

Quick Reply: Targa Wheels