993 Forum 1995-1998

Hazard Flashers Stuck On But Not Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Hazard Flashers Stuck On But Not Flashing

I've searched the forum but can't find a solution. Car is '96 993. It was just sitting there locked, with the Drive Block security system engaged. All four turn signal lights were on, but solid, not flashing. I used the key fob and unlocked the car as usual, without an issue. The dash **** for the lights was in the fully "off" position. The turn signal arm in neutral position, hazard flasher in "off" position as well. No problem starting the car, but I was not able to use either turn signal or the flasher switch to make any change to all four turn signals being solidly "on." Following are the facts and/or actions I have tried:
1. Checked the fuse that includes the hazard flashers. Fuse good, but of course when I pulled the fuse out the turn signals all went "off." Changed to a different 15 amp fuse. Same result.
2. Disconnected both poles of battery. Waited a bit, then reconnected. With hazard fuse in place I thought I had success as now all four turn signal lights were off.
3. With the car unlocked I decided to try using the hazard flashers. Pushed the hazard switch and the hazard lights started flashing normally. Normal sounds from relay behind the far left gauge. Flashers worked perhaps for about 15 cycles, then froze again in the all-four "on" solid position.
4. I have Tore's LED turn signals and parking lights, as well as brake lights. These have been installed for about 3 years without any problems.
5. I had never installed Tore's LED turn signal/flasher relay (the one behind the far left gauge), so the signals were very rapid. However, I never had any issue with this. I did install the LED relay in an attempt to see if that would help. The only change was that the last time I tried the "disconnect the battery poles" the flashers worked at the normal slower rate until they got stuck in the solid 'on' position again.
6. There is a possibility that someone attempted to gain entry to my car using a signal amplification device to copy my key fob code. I keep my key fob/key inside my house, but it's still no more than 40 feet from the car. This possible attempt happened the day before the turn signals became stuck in the "solid on" position. I realize that when I use the fob to normally unlock the car the turn signals flash once, but I have no idea if my current problem has anything to do with some hacking device.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

My bet is on a relay problem.
My 2nd thought would be to check the resistive load from the bulbs. I suspect if it is too low or too high the system has issues.
Item 6 is an example of over-thinking the problem, quite a common issue here on Rennlist, go figure?
Andy
Old 08-17-2018, 02:37 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

This is probably not a problem with the hazard switch at all. The door lock/alarm control module has a relay to activate the turn signals, and I would guess this relay either its control circuitry has failed.
This control unit is placed under the passenger seat, so it is also exposed to corrosion issues if there has been a water leak in the car.
You could try to disconnect the unit to see if the problem goes away. See this thread for pics. The unit can be repaired, however, repair of severe corrosion problems will seldom last.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Flashers stuck on solid

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Hazard Flashers Stuck On But Not Flashing