Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one WILL miss Jimbob...even the avitar!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Jimbob,

It appears none of your posts were ever mean spirited. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who never tried to read them.

Why don't you tell us who you really are and continue to post with your real name? I'm curious whether I've read any of your post under your real name.

Thanks for getting rid of that avitar.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boo hiss....

where is your sense of humour, guys?? If we're not careful, this board will start to resemble the 964 smartboards site - the home home of over zealous, **** retentive moderators (no offence JM!).

JimBob's posts offer a relief from the constant ' will gizmo X give me 3.2 HP more than gizmo Z....' posts.

Bring back JimBob......

...ps, you can always ignore his posts if you don't like them..
Old 01-20-2003, 12:31 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

For what its worth I enjoy Jimbobs crazy antics. It sometimes adds humor to otherwise informative posts. Dont get me wrong, info and sharing info is really while we are all here. We all have the option to jump over anybodys post and ignore it. I honestly feel that Jimbob is making a us all realize that the avatars, being oversized, graphic, cartoons or whatever were the craze about 2 weeks ago. He just wanted his to be the loudest, Im sure he would adjust it in time.

Anyway Jimbob makes me laugh. I cant speak for the rest of the board, but in my eyes he will be missed.

We need to find a little laughter in anything we can. There are much more serious issues in this world of ours that need attention.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:32 PM
SHRKBIT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been rather impressed at how certain Rennlist forums are capable of completely ignoring unintelligible and completely off-topic posts, rather than letting those posts hijack topics.

That said, it might be helpful to limit avatar sizes to something reasonable. Intentionally or not, some folks have rather large avatars. My email computer is an ancient 1024x768 notebook, and those big avatars give me nothing but grief.

Curt
Old 01-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

We need to find a little laughter in anything we can. There are much more serious issues in this world of ours that need attention.

Well put!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:39 PM
C4S4ME
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before anyone go upsetting JimBob, perhaps it should be understood that JimBob is a member of the tighly knit clique at the top of Rennlist. The originals communicate in other forums and via private maillists outside of what you may see. For example, (Funny, the link that was here has now been deleted) was used for several messages before more private methods were set up. You can see by that link, that JimBob is one of 5-6 "people at the top."

Be careful who you insult, you don't want to be branded as a "damned idiot" forever.

A number of the old guard have been getting tired of everyone else. A perfect (sad) example was Mark Dalen.

Last March he wrote:

3/29/2002
Thanks to everyone for making this such a great place. I have made some very good friends here and look forward to still seeing and chatting with those people.
For you newer members and lurkers - think about what you want the forum to be. Then contribute and make it the place you want. I joined in a few years ago, and there was a strong established group then, just as there is now, and I was an 'outsider'. It is not hard to become part of that group - contribute where you can, learn and enjoy. If you stray from what the majority want, then adjust and try to gently sway the forum. There is no need to whine or pretend you are not liked or wanted here - that is not true. This place is at a crossroads and it is up to the newer participants to take the forum to whatever it will be next.
Again, thanks for making this such a fun and entertaining place.

But then in December he threw it all away:

To: E. J. Feulner
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:17 AM
Subject: This is to post if anyone wants to

Viken,
I have effectively terminated my participation on Rennlist – I changed my password and no longer know what it is – I will no longer be tempted to post. I wanted to explain why I am doing this – feel free to post on Rennlist if you feel it is worth doing.
I have participated in Rennlist for quite a few years. I have enjoyed the friendships that have been built, learned a lot and also feel I have contributed a lot. The environment has changed:
I no longer feel it is a place to build new friendships and the existing friendships are maintained outside of Rennlist after all the accusations of the long time members being a private club.
There is nothing much to learn and little opportunity to contribute here any longer. One of the things that made Rennlist so great was the technical accuracy of the threads as well as the open interest in accurate answers. That just doesn’t exist any longer.

(End of Mark's Letter)

The contrast is disturbing. Maybe the simple rule of "if you can't say something nice (or contribute positively) then don't say anything at all" should apply to everyone. Of course, what would that do to JimBob? Gee, this seems like a vicious circle now, doesn't it?
Old 01-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Phil McGrath:
<strong>I for one WILL miss Jimbob...even the avitar!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">But you're nuts anyway!

Seriously, I've tried few times to read Jimbob's posts but for a Finn, it has been too much.

But that hasn't bothered me, I've just skipped them.

Without that crazybig avatar, I don't think he does any harm.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Great. What little bit of humor that was left on these boards is gone. Oh well. If Jim Bob responded to one of your posts it is a pretty good indicator that either 1) it was a stupid post to begin with 2)a humorous post that he was simply adding to 3) had already been discussed many times before.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I will miss Jimbob (well except for the avatar size b/c of the scrolling PITA). I would like to know before we lose Jimbob for good, how long it took to get the spelling down for a Jimbob post?

I always enjoyed the humor and if I wasn't in the mood just skipped the post. You know the great thing about a forum like this is you can skip or ignore what you don't want to read.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Well, obviously JimBob has addressed the problem to a great degree. I've been a bit curious as to exactly what his story was and could never get a feel for how others perceived him. While his recent posts did not seem to be too helpful, the guy does have over a thousand posts! Surely at some point he made some valid statements? Maybe?

I always felt that, based on the number of posts he had (however incorrect the assumption), JimBob was a long-time Rennlister who was trying a new identity to mix things up.

Regardless of how others feel, JimBob's posts were occasionally successful attempts at humor that were often trivialized by the effort it took to read his "language". Quite often I simply skipped over his response since previous experience told me that nothing would be gained by trying to figure out what he was saying.

Yes, his avatar is too big but it IS funny to me. I also got a kick out of his brain-scrambling flashing avatar that he posted immediately after the Rennlist board update. Thankfully, JimBob replaced it with "his" portrait.

Yes, JimBob is silly. Martin, I can understand why you feel the way you do. But is this grounds to give someone the boot off of this board? I must have missed the offensive posts. Regarding bandwidth and, without being sarcastic, are his posts taking up that much space? Sorry, I'm not a computer wiz.

I know there are rules and etiquette on a board but yanking someone because of this seems a bit extreme. Perhaps John D can make a Solomon-like decision and ask JimBob to reconsider his approach instead of exiling him? I suppose JimBob is the town crazy that gives the town some character.

JimBob, I would like for you to stay.

If I start offending enough people, will I be removed, too?

I have no desire to start trouble but I do think it's important to see all sides.

Have a great day, everyone!

P.S. Stever, I like your new avatar! Well-composed and dynamic.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Yes,

I dont get into the super big Avatar (anyones), but I did not mind the post from JB so much.

I did wonder what 'ol JB was all about sometimes...

Who was it? Show your face, raise your hand. Did you have a program that would translate normal words into that kinda language or what?
Old 01-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
<a href="http://rinkworks.com/dialect" target="_blank">http://rinkworks.com/dialect</a>

Of course I am sure Jim Bob uses a more sophisticated version.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 556 Posts
JimBob may have had some <a href="http://rinkworks.com/dialect/" target="_blank">Dialectizer</a> help composing his posts.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Unhappy

Oh man Greg & Terry,

I had a vision of an astute gent pounding at the keyboard thinking about each vowel trying to make it humorous...

You have shown me that it was all just a click away.

Man, next you will tell me there is no Santa Claus.

Quick Reply: jamboob (JimBob) has got to go...