Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jamboob (JimBob) has got to go...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Knute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheesh! This is really getting out of hand...

JimBob wasn't "pushed off" by people talking for others; a few people voiced their own concerns. Personally, I think JimBob _was_ funny, but the avatar was killing me. Disruptive humor, like JimBob's, has a fine line between being funny and being annoying, and it recently was treading too close to the line for some, but in moderation JimBob does add to the character of the forum.

There was no lynch mob, there is no martyr- if JimBob decides not to post anymore, then it's actually pretty ironic when you think about it, since it appears that what he was trying to do in the first place was inject levity and help people not take themselves too seriously. He's obviously taking this WAY too seriously if he's going to swear off the board completely and not even post as his real alter-ego.

Yes, I'm all for free speech, and I can hit page-down as well as the next guy, but if we champion free speech in the guise of protecting JimBob, then we really can't at the same time criticize Martin for expressing his opinion in the first place; we've all got the right to free speech...

JimBob- shrink your avatar so that I can actually read the forums you post to, and I'm back in your fan club!

Respectfully,

-Knute
Old 01-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Knute:
<strong>Sheesh! This is really getting out of hand...

JimBob wasn't "pushed off" by people talking for others; a few people voiced their own concerns. Personally, I think JimBob _was_ funny, but the avatar was killing me. Disruptive humor, like JimBob's, has a fine line between being funny and being annoying, and it recently was treading too close to the line for some, but in moderation JimBob does add to the character of the forum.

There was no lynch mob, there is no martyr- if JimBob decides not to post anymore, then it's actually pretty ironic when you think about it, since it appears that what he was trying to do in the first place was inject levity and help people not take themselves too seriously. He's obviously taking this WAY too seriously if he's going to swear off the board completely and not even post as his real alter-ego.

Yes, I'm all for free speech, and I can hit page-down as well as the next guy, but if we champion free speech in the guise of protecting JimBob, then we really can't at the same time criticize Martin for expressing his opinion in the first place; we've all got the right to free speech...

JimBob- shrink your avatar so that I can actually read the forums you post to, and I'm back in your fan club!

Respectfully,

-Knute</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Knute - I'd suggest you re-read the first post in this thread - Martin wasn't just expressing an opinion. He was directing that action be taken - that is what I object to.

Also respectfully,

Ruairidh
Old 01-20-2003, 10:08 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

I personally thought JimBob was extremely funny most of the time. My personal favorite was his short-lived seizure avator. I nearly peed my pants at that one. While I disapprove of political correctness, I got offended by the mob mentality with which this thread began. It felt like people were trying to run JB out of town (which it seems like has happened).
Although I am relatively new to this community, there has been a definite change in the tone and civility (acceptance) of posts recently and not for the better. A lot of people with long histories here are fleeing because they just don't want to put up with thecrap anymore. In many cases I wish they would stay but can't blame them for leaving.
I know communities change, that these are dynamic places. However, there also is usually some decorum associated which is being observed less and less.
Hopefully, we can all learn so we don't continue to have threads degenerate into personal attacks.

Just my wooden nickel, take it if you want.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:17 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

JimBob is dead.

LONG LIVE JIMMY ROBERT!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by DJ:
<strong>JimBob is dead.

LONG LIVE JIMMY ROBERT!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">What was the name of the movie?...It starred that actor who is married to Susan Sarandon. He played a politcian(sp) running for Prez. The movies name was....???
Old 01-21-2003, 01:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
I have to agree with JimBob; Martin, your car kinda looks like a camaro in that photo.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:33 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't we all just get along?
Old 01-21-2003, 02:35 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

A few months ago a member posted a post. I am slowly remembering.....The post struck me has very odd...cause..it refered to JIMBOB, and this person.......in a very unique way! aka a very "freudian"(sp)
Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

bam.....I know who JIMBOB is!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Er guys, do the people complaining about his loud avatar remember the mad week after the server failure? Every man & his dog suddenly had full page pictures of their cars - JimBob was TAKING THE PI5S. After he posted his annoying Avatar, a few of you realised that huge avatars are a pain in the A5S, and the forum has returned to normality.

Further, for those of you complaining about is unintelligible use of language, have a listen to George Dubya....
Old 01-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
JimBob's like a heckler - and a good one: a diversion from the main event, but sometimes just what the main event needs.

Funny as ****, too.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Jim Bob told everyone who He is right here in this thread......
Old 01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Phil McGrath:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by DJ:
<strong>JimBob is dead.

LONG LIVE JIMMY ROBERT!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">What was the name of the movie?...It starred that actor who is married to Susan Sarandon. He played a politcian(sp) running for Prez. The movies name was....???</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Bob Roberts
Old 01-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Glen:
<strong>Jim Bob told everyone who He is right here in this thread......</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Which thread?
Old 01-21-2003, 03:13 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by johnfm:
<strong>Er guys, do the people complaining about his loud avatar remember the mad week after the server failure? Every man & his dog suddenly had full page pictures of their cars - JimBob was TAKING THE PI5S. After he posted his annoying Avatar, a few of you realised that huge avatars are a pain in the A5S, and the forum has returned to normality.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Ed Zachary.

Quick Reply: jamboob (JimBob) has got to go...