HuntingRidgeMotors in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:06 AM
mskaug
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HuntingRidgeMotors in NYC?

Hello Rennlisters,

I am currently not nor have I ever been a Porsche owner, but I'm hoping to realize that dream sometime in the near future. A car has caught my eye and I was hoping to get any opinions on the car, the offered price, or the establishment (Hunting Ridge Motors).

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2453136469

Lastly, I've been considering several cars in this price range; Subaru WRX STI, Mitsu Evolution, 350Z, '91 NSX as I'm a little reluctant or should I say uneducated on the reliability and higher repair costs of the 993. Please set me straight on this issue.

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

Mark.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:46 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I almost bought a 964 from them-until the PPI at Rennwerke Porsche Technicians (VERY highly recommended) uncovered a slew of needs (about $6k worth). That is not completely a reflection on Huntingridge, although at least one of the items (an aftermarket spoiler not painted the exact color of the car and that didn't quite show in the photos) was misleading.

My advice would be to spend the $200 and have Cheech at Renwerke (they have a web site) inspect the car-best investment you can make.

PM me for more info if you want to.

Al
Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think Cheech sells cars, too. Or he could find one you are looking for . . .
Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

I've bought several cars from Hunting Ridge Motors(though not my 993). Mark Starr
is the owner and has been a pleasure to deal with.
In the interest of full-disclosure, he and I have subsequently become friends...But that was after he sold me my first 911, which is about as good an endorsement as anyone could give a car dealer!!

Rennwerke in Elmsford also services my 993.
Cheech is definitely the guy you want to do a PPI.
IMHO He's the absolute best in the business.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:08 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There feedback looks pretty solid..........usually a good indication for ebay purchases.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:29 PM
mskaug
8th Gear

Thank you everyone for your helpful information. Any thoughts a PPI gets performed for items listed on Ebay? I would think you wouldn't want to bid until the PPI is completed, but are dealerships usually open to having a 3rd party come in and inspect a vehicle?

Mr. Davies (Matt), any chances of getting feedback from the owner (Mark Starr) on this vehicle?

Thank you again for helping provide information for what I'm finding to be a very difficult decision.

I hope to return the favor as a fellow Rennlister in the near future.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

I'll try and get in touch with him today. As far as a PPI...most reputable dealers
will accept an offer contingent upon a third party Inspection. I know that Mark will.

PM me and I'll let you know what I can find out about the car.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mskaug,

if any dealer is not receptive to a 3rd party PPI...it's not the car for you!!
Old 01-13-2004, 03:06 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

If PPI checks out I would pay $32k tops. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:22 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love my C4S, and if I ever sell it, it'll be to get a 993tt (excluding some unforseen earth-shattering event). However, I own an S2000 and find it very fun (though small and noisy), and have driven an STi, and found it very quick. For the money, and if yo can stand the looks, the STi is great. You can get them at or below invoice, and 300hp, 4 doors, AWD, and good brakes.... plus a warranty, is a pretty good deal.

The S2000, for what it's worth, is something altogether different. It is quick, light, and very nimble. Very solid-feeling for such a small car, too. I have toyed with the idea of selling it (toward the 993tt, noted above), but waffle on that. For 30k, though, it's a great little car.

Neither of those is a Porsche 911. But they certainly have their own merits.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CAA,

Why??? It's a low-mileage (26K) car, that appears to be in very nice shape. If it is, and the PPI checks out, it could easily be worth considerably more than $32K. Even in this market, $32K is not the top of the market for a 26K '95 if it's in great shape. In fact, $32K usually buys a nice, but by no means exceptional car. There are many stories about great deals, but they're not the norm.

MHO.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Speed - I added my two cents, which may well be what my opinion is worth. I gave this opinion based on what the cars go for at auction as I am privy to that info and think 32 or 33 is a fair price. Looking at the car, it is def. nice, but not really a lot of options. No 18's, not full leather, no mention of the 30k service being done. Add around 2k to your cost right there. Also, where did the car come from? All things that crossed my mind. Wasn't trying to start any arguments.....just going on what i see from the information provided. As a previous owner of a 95 C4 there are def some more questions I would want answered before paying 37k for this car. Greg D is asking 36 for his 96 and look at all the money and service put into it....
Old 01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

I have to agree with Speedracer on this one. I think $32k (assuming a good PPI) would be a steel and with a buy it now of $36K I don't think they would move that low. I think that most lister's "buy it now" price is usually just a bit above the reserve, maybe $500-1000. If you want to compare apples to apples go to Autotrader.com. Search for entire country and you will find at least 100 993's for each year (excepting 98). You can then sort by mileage for better comparisons. I use a figure of .20 cents/mile when comparing same year cars.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CAA,

As your post points out, there are many questions that are still unanswered -- that's basically my point. The answers to those could indicate that the car is worth well over $32K, or well under. It was your "limit" of $32K that I was responding to. Besides, I figure my opinion could be worth as much as two-and-a-half cents .

BTW, are the auction prices you're privy to wholesale, retail, or eBay? If I have enough detailed info about the car involved and the auction, I think auction results can be quite informative -- otherwise, I think they're of little value.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Mark,
I talked to Mark (Starr) and he said the car is excellent. He's a Porsche guy and knows that them's fightin' words in our circles. I definitely trust him.
If you're genuinely interested, you should give him a call and tell him I sent you.

-Matt.

Quick Reply: HuntingRidgeMotors in NYC?