Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being unrealistic about used 993 purchase prices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:43 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Am I being unrealistic about used 993 purchase prices?

I've been looking for a 993 for the past 3 months and haven't really come up with much. My budget is in the $33-35K range max but most of the cars showing under 50K miles with the options I want seem to be advertising in the high 30K's which is just basically more than I'm willing to spend on a car 5+ years old. I'm avoiding cabrios, targas, tiptronics, and black paint (for maintenance reasons although they look great). I'm on the west coast so also trying to find something I don't need to ship for more $$$. I've read posts about private party vs. dealers and really don't want to contend with dealer b.s. or embellishments on "just how good" the car is. The question then becomes how much is reasonable to offer below the asking price? Are resale prices on these cars usually firm or is there some room in the price range I'm speaking of? ($1K to $3K is my guess) I know the market changes constantly. Any recent buyers out there who acquired a 993 with manual tranny, 18 inch wheels, good shape (zero dings minimal rock chips, well cared for leather etc), full maint. history, service up-to-date (clutch/tires/brakes etc) AND got it in the price range I'm talking about? I'd hate to think I was being unrealistic about what I could get the whole time. A close friend who has purchased several used P-cars has always seemed to find a deal but he's in a higher $ league and maybe there's more fat to be cut in prices above $50K. Any current input on this topic is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-30-2003, 05:50 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you pretty much answered your own question in your first sentence: "I've been looking for a 993 for the past 3 months and haven't really come up with much." Either you need to increase your budget, or decrease your expectations.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:02 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

If all you want to spend is low-mid 30s (which is fine, don't get em wrong), then you have to go fairly high mileage, and not pristine, but well-driven/used. Nothing at all wrong with that, and you can get a really fun car, I suspect. But a relatively low-mile car with no cosmetic or other issues will cost you more unless you get really lucky. Really lucky.

Just an opinion.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:17 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2ndof2

I purchased my 1995 C2 mid-Nov this year from the state of Washington. It was in absolutely pristine condition, perfect inside and out with 51K on the clock, records, etc. It is guards red on black with manual tranny and it came with the following upgrades: 18" Turbo twists (brand new) with brand new tires, Brembo Big Red brake upgrade, european tail lights, Weltmeister chip, Turbo S air ducts with projector beams, RSR gear shifter, and CD changer for $33K. They are out there. You just have to find the right seller. I looked at many and talked to many owners. You can tell right away which owners are enthusiasts and knowledgeable about there cars. Be patient but be ready at the drop of a hat with your finances, when the right car comes along. Remember, there are a lot of people looking for these cars just like you. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:20 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put your eyes on a '95 c2... also, you'll be lucky to find one @ that price w/ less than 50k on the clock though.

be realistic & look @ well maintained higher mileage cars. they're out there. also you should check areas outside the westcoast as those areas may be softer on pricing. cabs & targas are usually a bit higher in price so fortunately for you; you don't one of those.

go high mileage w/ service & records.... & you'll be fine. these cars are strong.... the low mi. thing (to me) is overated. i paid a premium for my cab last year (@13k mi.) & to be honest... i should have bought a higher mile car w/ more options. just my ¢2.

good luck in your search.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:27 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jdoc7,
That sounds like a very nice ride indeed....I am and have been ready to pull the trigger on a deal even before the "hat" hits the floor. I can live with a car that has 51K miles as well. More stories like yours will help me to guage the market better. Just two questions: Was your purchase price also the seller's asking price or did you negotiate to get your price? How did you first find out about the car being for sale?
Thank you and Happy Holidays to you as well!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There may be more bargaining room in cold-climate areas around this time of the year, but you'd have to be willing to do a long-distance purchase. Nothing wrong with that, and a road trip (unless you get snowed-in somewhere) is a great experience in your newly acquired car. Your car is out there, and I don't think your budget is out of line. You may need a broader geographical perspective, however.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:38 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2ndof2

I found out about the car through AUTOTRADER.com He actually had the car on Autotrader for 3 months with an asking price of $38K He did not have any takers so decided to lower the price to $33.5K That's when I found the car on Autotrader and the rest is history. I was, however, able to knock off another $500 bucks but he would not go any lower than $33K He definitely could have gotten more for the car if he had waited until Spring. This car could fetch $35K easily but I do think he was over with his initial $38K There has been some advice on this board before to find the car that you really want; color/options/mods/etc. and then work on the price rather than buy a car you don't really like only because it's in your price range. Hope this helps. You can check out my ride at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=104171
Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, there you go! I think jdoc got a good deal! I think the mileage thing is the key. Don't worry about miles IF the car is well-maintained and has records. And, yes, look for a 95. That would more likely be in your range, and also they ahve some advantages over the later models (easier to chip, if I recall).
Old 12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I don't doubt there are some deals out there, but you have to take your time. The one thing that stood out, when I started tracking availability of 993's, rennlist classified had over 200 cars for sale in their classified. This was true for a couple of years, as I remember, but today there are only 84 cars listed. This tells me that most people would rather sit on their cars than bring them to market in a depressed market.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

1. There is no relationship whatsoever between an asking price and a selling price. The first is generated by the seller who wants to maximize his price and the second is a determination of fair market value by both seller and buyer.

2. You will hear storiesa bout how easy it is to buy a mint car for short money. It isn't. Buying a winning lottery ticket was easy for the person that won $5,000,000 but it sure doesn't represent the experiences of the majority of car buyers.

3. You should be able to fine a good 1995 for your budget. It will have 40,000+ miles and be in good (but probably not excellent) condition. You will get many years/miles of enjoyment from it and wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Bill - it might also mean that the market is no longer depressed.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:59 PM
victoria993
Track Day

I don't think you necessarily answered your own question. It sounds as though you haven't even really tried to make offers on some of those cars you found. What's holding you back? Are you worried that you might offend or disappoint the seller with a "low ball" offer? You'll (almost) never find a good deal that way. Without knowing someone's motivation for selling (finances, purchased/purchasing a replacement, etc.), you won't know how much "play room" they have. True, some people won't divulge the sordid details, so the best way to see is to start with an offer--any offer. If you're willing to walk away from a good car because of not wanting to offend someone with your offer, why not just make the offer and then walk away *after* you've been told it's too low? At that point, however, you can start a negotiation so that both parties feel somewhat satisfied. Or, it possible that your offer will be accepted. You won't know until you try.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:05 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with everything said here and want to reinforce the mileage vs. budget. If you are stuck on a mileage AND budget figure and the 2 numbers never seem to intersect, you need to change your thinking. I used to lean towards spending more for lower mileage, but from my past 3 purchases the 993's with 50k plus were a "better deal"

How many other 9 year old cars with 60-80k miles are considered high mileage other than the true exotics. I am hopefully closing a deal on a 100k plus 993 and I am looking forward to being able to enjoy it without freaking out on every rock chip or scratch.

Coupes are hard to find right now...even the Licensed Porsche dealers here in So Cal are asking some of the smaller guys and wholesalers if they have any! The coupes with less than 6k miles per year are not going to go in the low 30's unless you find a really motivated seller.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Moto
Intermediate

My advice would be don't be afraid to make some offers! Someone that has an overpriced car at say $40k is waiting for some offers - but because the car is overpriced they may have had zero serious interest. If the car has been on the market for awhile they may be willing to drop down to $35k.

There are, of course, the "crack smokers" out there. You know these types when you see the ad listing and say to yourself - "What is this guy SMOKING - crack??" This would be reserved for the individual that lists, say - a 1995 993 with 95k miles in iffy condition / no service records / and salvage title to boot for $59,900. They then typically add in "won't last long!" Wanna bet?

There is also another very important aspect about the sale of these cars that is different from many other car sales. That is - these are typically second or third cars for people - "fun cars" - and thus they can typically "test the market" because, in many instances, there is no pressing urgency to sell them. They are also "Porsches" - and that alone will cause some to price the vehicle $5-10k over where it really should be priced.

I think your budget is reasonable.......just keep looking and don't be afraid to make some offers.

Quick Reply: Am I being unrealistic about used 993 purchase prices?