Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being unrealistic about used 993 purchase prices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 04:36 PM
stephenc2s
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on the 911 board....

HI guys,
I work for Tim Holt (and have for 4 years now..). Tim has sold something like 2,500 911's.

I'd like to respond to all the positive posts and say "Thank You" from Tim and I.

We think the forum is a great thing but a first time, inexperienced buyer can really leave confused.

We buy THE BEST, privately owned, air-cooled cars we can and sell all of them usually pretty close to our asking price.

Those people in our business know the supplyof nice 911's is equal to about 15% of the cars out there for sale.

The 85% "pool" of cars found by the buyer's who use the "model year - price formula" get, well, an average car - IF THEY'RE LUCKY!

The yr/price formula works well for a Ford Taurus, but not an air-cooled 911 - not a special condition car.

This year we've sold, as an example, a 95' Cpe for $33K and a 95' Cpe for $49K - Both buyer's were VERY satisfied. We sold an 89' Cpe (3.2) for $22K and an 89' for $39K

Basically the price = supply / demand theory needs to be modified for a 911 purchase. The supply, as we know, is limited much more than the public realizes. The demand is, and always has been, very good. The supply of "what" however? . Does the market know an all original perfect 95' (we have several now) from an average, re-painted DE track car with a $300 detail??? The answer is: only when you tell them the price! A price-shopper is his / her own worst enemy when buying a sportscar like a 911 Carrera. Try considering condition, originality, reputation of seller, miles, warranties, colors, options, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the available of comparable cars, then buy.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:51 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perception is reality, well sometimes. I always think my cars are worth way more than Excellence market value and sell them very close to my asking price, i.e. $40k for a ’95. On the other hand, I also pay much more than the average price for the best car with the all the options I want, i.e. $60k plus for a ’98 S.

It comes down to what your budget is and what you really want. Do you want a daily driver, track car, garage queen or concours car? The bottom line is you will probably get what you pay for, if you do your research and have someone qualified to inspect the car. Good luck, 993’s are great cars.

Quick Reply: Am I being unrealistic about used 993 purchase prices?