Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rookie mistakes, as usual. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Props for giving it a try regardless of expertise. Anyway, Might be a good time to also have the distributor motor belts replaced, they can get brittle and fail over time. Failure of those could cause serious issue I hear. Here is a post on my experience with them. Steve Weiner took good care of me. Just a thought, yours might have been done already. I did it as a percausion. I am super scared of major failure and try to do as much as possible on the preventive side.

PS: Rookie or not, you are giving a try and your best, that in my books is awesome. You don’t know if you can do it, unless you try. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lt-or-not.html

In this post their is some info on doing the wires. Kinda a PITA with the engine in place, unless you have small hands.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...every-day.html
Old 02-26-2018, 09:58 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

My first time changing plug wires ended up with a visit to the ER. Now that was a master class in "rookie mistakes."
Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Good for you, OP, for DIY'ing. Measure twice, cut once. For 993's, read a dozen Rennlist threads, DIY once.

On the wires, there's no mystery if you understand the system. As the rotor rotates, it fires each spark plug according to the engine's firing order. Look at the firing order sticker in the engine bay, and the distributor nipples. It will become very clear what connects to what. I find when DIY'ing, if you take a minute to understand what you're working on, you won't screw it up.

Re belts. Even better than changing them every few years for no reason is to change them *properly* when needed. Huge amount of operator error in belt work because the tensioner system (the shims) is a little complicated in that special way Germans make things complicated. Long ago when I was new to wrenching I destroyed the fan on my early 911 by screwing this up. Learned the hard way. Most people put the belt on too tight, or they tension the outer pulley unevenly so that it's crooked when sitting against the belt. I use the RS pulley and my belt is 11 years old/75K miles on it and I'd drive it cross-country without a second thought. I don't think I've ever adjusted it. A brand new belt will fail if installed incorrectly, and an old belt will almost last forever if installed correctly.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by frankv
I would be really surprised if original belts lasted over 100k miles and over 20 years! - Frank
Misunderstanding on my part. I thought he was asking about the distributor belt. The AC/fan/alternator belts were about 3 years old.

Originally Posted by rg0115
Might be a good time to also have the distributor motor belts replaced, they can get brittle and fail over time. Failure of those could cause serious issue I hear.

I am considering this as well. I'll admit to being a bit intimidated with the removal and reinstallation of the distributor.

Originally Posted by Churchill
I use the RS pulley and my belt is 11 years old/75K miles on it and I'd drive it cross-country without a second thought. I don't think I've ever adjusted it. A brand new belt will fail if installed incorrectly, and an old belt will almost last forever if installed correctly.
I'm not clear if the RS pulley can be used with AC? (No AC is really not an option here in NC.) Also, is the pulley the only part required for this conversion? It looks like there is also a RS crankshaft pulley, but it may be optional?

At any rate, I like the idea of fewer belts for sure!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Speedy- I have an extra Coil > Distributor wire from my last replacement if you're interested. It's in great condition. Cover shipping and it's yours.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Speedy- I have an extra Coil > Distributor wire from my last replacement if you're interested. It's in great condition. Cover shipping and it's yours.
Wow - greatly appreciated! PM on the way...
Old 02-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

[QUOTE=SpeedyC2;14833422]Misunderstanding on my part. I thought he was asking about the distributor belt. The AC/fan/alternator belts were about 3 years old.

3 years old and how many miles ? ? ? 3 years old and belts letting go? Is this normal ? ? ?.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Wow - greatly appreciated! PM on the way...
Just an FYI - these coil to distributor wires can be bought individually from Beru for very little money. I had to do it myself after I had some rookie mistakes that resulted in a couple of munched connector boots...

You also can buy the connectors and re-attach these to the wires if neeeded.

The plug wires themselves cannot be bought individually unfortunately, those only go as a set.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mpruden
My first time changing plug wires ended up with a visit to the ER. Now that was a master class in "rookie mistakes."
Wow, what happened?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gbos1

3 years old and how many miles ? ? ? 3 years old and belts letting go? Is this normal ? ? ?.

Not normal and no reason to panic. As Churchill mentioned above, perhaps they were not shimmed correctly when installed.

Either way, it's not a big deal. Learn how to change the belts, throw a couple spares in the car (they're < $20 each) and sleep well at night.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

Wow, what happened?

Hand slipped when removing a heat exchanger and proceeded "flat out" into something sharp under the car. Just a few stitches between my knuckles. No big deal.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Churchill
Good for you, OP, for DIY'ing. Measure twice, cut once. For 993's, read a dozen Rennlist threads, DIY once.

On the wires, there's no mystery if you understand the system. As the rotor rotates, it fires each spark plug according to the engine's firing order. Look at the firing order sticker in the engine bay, and the distributor nipples. It will become very clear what connects to what. I find when DIY'ing, if you take a minute to understand what you're working on, you won't screw it up.

Re belts. Even better than changing them every few years for no reason is to change them *properly* when needed. Huge amount of operator error in belt work because the tensioner system (the shims) is a little complicated in that special way Germans make things complicated. Long ago when I was new to wrenching I destroyed the fan on my early 911 by screwing this up. Learned the hard way. Most people put the belt on too tight, or they tension the outer pulley unevenly so that it's crooked when sitting against the belt. I use the RS pulley and my belt is 11 years old/75K miles on it and I'd drive it cross-country without a second thought. I don't think I've ever adjusted it. A brand new belt will fail if installed incorrectly, and an old belt will almost last forever if installed correctly.
Having just tightened my belts, this caught my eye. Is there a trick to ensure that you are mounting the belt square on the pulley? I sighted vertically down the belt-run to eyeball it, but maybe there is a better way to ensure everything is aligned?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mpruden
Hand slipped when removing a heat exchanger and proceeded "flat out" into something sharp under the car. Just a few stitches between my knuckles. No big deal.
Ouch. I was imagining some sort of creative electrocution
Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Having just tightened my belts, this caught my eye. Is there a trick to ensure that you are mounting the belt square on the pulley? I sighted vertically down the belt-run to eyeball it, but maybe there is a better way to ensure everything is aligned?
I get the outer pulley slightly snugged down, then rotate the engine/fan a couple of times by hand to settle the belt in. Then I go around the three bolts tightening each a half-turn or so at a time, while rotating the fan/belt by hand. There isn't a torque setting for the three nuts, you have to do it by feel -- you will feel when they're equally snug and the pulley is square, and you will see/feel when the pulley is cockeyed or when one of nuts is looser than the others. As for belt tension, set it so there's no squeal or slippage, but no tighter. When you're done, fire up the engine and watch the pulley for squareness. Then shut it off and check tension again.

Pic stolen from Pelican:

Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM
hopeydaze
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can hear a belt squeal when you start the car from cold (lasts a few seconds) does this indicate a potential problem with any of the belts?

Quick Reply: Rookie mistakes, as usual. Help?