Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

One of the best mods ever. Tore's Hids, Morimotos and LED main (probably overkill). Only drawback is the reflection from signposts on main is now a bit dazzling but on unlit country roads, awesome.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I did this when I first got my car- it's the single BEST upgrade you can do in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 PM
pholcomb1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the new H1 LED's from HIDNation (and I have no commercial relationship with them), and they were great ! https://www.hidnation.com/products/h...conversion-kit
1 - No fans. New LED design has these soft flexible heat sinks.
2 - Easily fits within the headlight pod. The old HID upgrades, ballast boxes, wiring, etc was difficult to fit for just the low-beam upgrade. With the LED's, you can upgrade both high and low beam to a nice, 6000K white light. Much better than stock halogen !
3 - Really Plug-and-play.

Plus, for $20 extra, they will give you a lifetime warranty .

I'm very happy with them. A no-brainer upgrade from stock halogens. Easily reversed for the OEM purists out there.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

When you put an LED bulb in a Halogen housing, the shape and location of the light source is in a different place such that you get a fair amount of scatter if not in a projector designed for it. There is a reason people spend a grand on proper projectors, and it's more about the quality of distribution than raw brightness (you don't want a bright spot directly in front of your car, as it impedes your night vision; you don't want scatter from fluting, as it obfuscates details; you don't want additional light above the cutoff because it's dangerous for other drivers, etc)...

HID/LED bulbs in Halogen housings is...a contentious setup.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Check out theretrofitsource.com now, instead of xenon, you can purchase Morimoto LED projectors. Little bit more expensive but latest technology.
I was thinking about it but my setup with 4x55w ballasts just puts out twice as much light.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...stall-diy.html
Ed
finally getting around to ordering the pieces parts together to tackle the lighting issue. Sent Tore an email for HID kit(currently have 7 YO cheap kit), fog light kit, complete LED kit also, ordered the LED replacement H1’s for the hi beams...but am waiting to call theretrofitsource tomorrow to enquire about the LED Morimoto projectors. Might as well go all the hell in...

its either this, or thru bolt some 8” round rally lights to the hood. That would be cool too..
Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

The Morimoto LED bi-xenon’s are much larger than the mini H1 7.0, would take quite a bit of “fabrication” according to theretrofitsource to work in the 993. So, just ordered the H1 7.0 with the high beam splitters.

FYI, enter promo code TRS10, for 10% off your total order.

Now onto Tore for the last bits needed here. I have a 7 year old set of DDM HID’s in the headlights, since new...one side has needed to be fired a couple times to stay lit. Never turned off while driving, but they don’t owe me anything either. Starting fresh...going all in with Tore, t-lights, rear fog conversion, and US all LED conversion...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Orders all in...
- Morimoto bi-xenon mini H1 7.0, with high beam splitter harness...theretrofitsource
​​​​​​-6k LED’s for the high beams, CIL-LED-H1.... Cyclops adventure sports
-everything from Tore, New 4300K HID’s, all LED conversion kit(US red rear kit), rear fog conversion kit, 3rd brake light LED’s, and smart ballast.
After install, I’ll have a set of 7 year old DDM HID’s(forget the K value) free to a rennlister.

Almost a $700 total lighting upgrade. I damn well better be able to be seen from space after this.

That being said, it has been shamefully a long time since I’ve thrown money at the car. Still need a couple fluid changes this year, front diff, all brake/clutch slaves too. Unfortunately cash outlay for a teenage daughter driving, repairing, and wrecking her car..has drastically reduced my fun money. Well that and an expensive craft beer habit.
that is all.............
Old 03-05-2018, 09:03 PM
pholcomb1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Orders all in...
- Morimoto bi-xenon mini H1 7.0, with high beam splitter harness...theretrofitsource
​​​​​​-6k LED’s for the high beams, CIL-LED-H1.... Cyclops adventure sports
-everything from Tore, New 4300K HID’s, all LED conversion kit(US red rear kit), rear fog conversion kit, 3rd brake light LED’s, and smart ballast.
After install, I’ll have a set of 7 year old DDM HID’s(forget the K value) free to a rennlister.

Almost a $700 total lighting upgrade. I damn well better be able to be seen from space after this.

That being said, it has been shamefully a long time since I’ve thrown money at the car. Still need a couple fluid changes this year, front diff, all brake/clutch slaves too. Unfortunately cash outlay for a teenage daughter driving, repairing, and wrecking her car..has drastically reduced my fun money. Well that and an expensive craft beer habit.
that is all.............
1 - This may be the first time I've admitted projector envy to another man. Sounds like a really sweet setup. The LED's have anywhere from 20-100x life expectancy as compared to the Xenon, and the new retrofit projectors really are a league above what Porsche was using in the late '90s.

2 - My daughter is 14yr (and a half!), and I would appreciate it, if you wouldn't mind, deleting your adolescent car crash story, admitting it was just a funny joke, and instead writing a story about what a responsible and careful driver your teenage driver has turned out to be. Please. :-) I only have about 18mo until reality happens, and I plan to enjoy every moment.

Please send pics of the old vs new light projections on a wall !
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Afternoon all - thanks to Mr Morat for this pair of photos.

Why is it that the bulb-holder doesn't have an angled 'side' so that the bulb with an angle cut out of the plastic circular 'base' is held securely?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

That bulb holder is a mystery but it works. I went for the alternative Motomount fitting which seems more secure. Cyclops led main works very well in combination and only a small trimmimg of the plastic required to fit.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

The Morimoto LED bi-xenon’s are much larger than the mini H1 7.0, would take quite a bit of “fabrication” according to theretrofitsource to work in the 993. So, just ordered the H1 7.0 with the high beam splitters.

FYI, enter promo code TRS10, for 10% off your total order.

Now onto Tore for the last bits needed here. I have a 7 year old set of DDM HID’s in the headlights, since new...one side has needed to be fired a couple times to stay lit. Never turned off while driving, but they don’t owe me anything either. Starting fresh...going all in with Tore, t-lights, rear fog conversion, and US all LED conversion...
Thanks @Magdaddy! I used the TRS10 promo code and it worked!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Additional detail if ordering the bi-xenon kit from the retrofit source.

The complete kit...Retro-Quik Porsche 993, includes the projectors, the additional hardware kit, and you can also choose the correct high beam splitter(x2).Package price is $165 before the 10% discount.

Ordred separately,...the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0, the RQ Hardware Porsche 993 kit, and the H1M>H1F/9006 splitters(x2). Package price is actually $10 cheaper, at $155.

Falls in a well, eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule eyes go straight...I don’t know.

Probably worth the extra $10 to not suffer thru a difficult website. Apparently I didn’t order the hardware kit, and I ordered the wrong splitters. New bits coming mis week hopefully.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Additional detail if ordering the bi-xenon kit from the retrofit source.

The complete kit...Retro-Quik Porsche 993, includes the projectors, the additional hardware kit, and you can also choose the correct high beam splitter(x2).Package price is $165 before the 10% discount.

Ordred separately,...the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0, the RQ Hardware Porsche 993 kit, and the H1M>H1F/9006 splitters(x2). Package price is actually $10 cheaper, at $155.

Falls in a well, eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule eyes go straight...I don’t know.

Probably worth the extra $10 to not suffer thru a difficult website. Apparently I didn’t order the hardware kit, and I ordered the wrong splitters. New bits coming mis week hopefully.
Magdaddy, I agreee with you. Not a very intuitive website. Interesting to me that in this day and age you still have "difficult" websites to deal with. You'd think all the competition would have demanded a certain basic level of user friendliness. The product however is worth the pain IMO.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tuto993
Magdaddy, I agreee with you. Not a very intuitive website. Interesting to me that in this day and age you still have "difficult" websites to deal with. You'd think all the competition would have demanded a certain basic level of user friendliness. The product however is worth the pain IMO.
They have a search by vehicle function...that has come up with “you’ve stumped our computer” for every application I entered into it. Quality state of the art product, difficult website...go figure.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

I used Tore's kit and followed instructions carefully. Everything worked perfectly. Including the smart ballast to bring back cruise control function. With the extra brake lights setup you can now see me stop from low orbit.

Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade