993 Forum 1995-1998

My Bi-Xenon install diy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My Bi-Xenon HID projector install diy

I've been thinking about this mod for quite some time now and I finally got all the pieces together to make it work.
It's actually super easy once I figured out what will fit and what will give me the quality of the new projectors which I was looking for.
I got my hands on a second set of headlights to do this mod. I already used HID burners for low and hi. The only difference now is that I have a new technology projector with a slider for low and hi beam.
The projector is a Mini Morimoto H1, all my burners and and ballasts for both light sources use H1 with 4300k and 55w ballasts.
Here's how and what I did:

Comparison of old and new projectors:

I took out the old lens and trimmed a bit at the following locations:

This is all you need for the brackets and hardware to secure the new projector into the housing. Never mind the random holes I drilled for weight saving. I could have done a better job but who's going to see it?
The measuring for all the dimensions took a few hours but I wanted to ensure proper and solid fitment. Once I had that, it was easy to install.

Here you see the lens installed

Here's a comparison between old and new. There's a lot more room now as the new lens bundles the beam very differently.

This is what you see from the front. Notice the new lens is clear.

I did a quick comparison in the garage so you can see the difference between old halogen and new projector. I didn't compare the old lens with an hid burner as I didn't want to keep swapping the burners more then I needed to. Eventually, I'll get out to some dark alley and record again.

This pic shows low halogen to low new lens

This pic shows low and hi halogen and high with only the slider engaged, no 2nd hid burner from the hi beam below

This pic shows low and hi halogen and high with slider engaged plus 2nd burner from the hi beam below, basically 2x 55w hi beams. At this point I was wearing sunglasses. I had a hard time looking at the wall.

This pic basically shows 4x 55w hi beams, sliders engaged plus the 2nd burners from below. It looks like the right hand beam always looks smaller as I held the camera at an angle. In reality both beams are identical.

I didn't have to change anything in the way I mounted the ballasts and wiring harness as it was already there. This is what the mounting of the ballasts look like

I ended up adding cooling fans to the inside of the housing lid, for piece of mind.

You'll find plenty of people that have installed Mini Morimotos and posted it on youtube. The light output is just awesome and I like the immediate slider action from low to hi.
I spent a good day measuring and fabbing brackets for the new lenses. I think it was all worth it and easily doable for someone who's a bit handy with regular tools.
The trimming on the plastic housing is so minor that if I wanted to, I could reinstall the old projector and make it stock again. So even if you don't have a 2nd set of headlights, I'd do it again but at the time I had no idea if it would fit or not. All I knew was that the new lens had the same diameter as the old one and that the housing was smaller. I didn't think it was going to be this easy.
If anybody has ideas on how to improve it let me know. I hope it provides some ideas to others out there too.
Ed

Last edited by EckFe1; 12-06-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great diy, I will try it!,but how exactly the slider works? cheers.
Sonny1.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

This was very useful. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Sonny1,
Take a look at the 2nd pic. You see an arc shaped piece of metal inside the housing. There's a small coil attached to it. So when you hit the hi beam switch, the coil energizes and moves that piece away from the beam of the light. So all the light can now move through the glass lens forward. It's like an obstruction that's controlling the light beam into different shapes.
It's mechanical so the burner doesn't move inside. Kind of like your sun visor. You put it down and you cut the light. You put it back up and have full view.
Ed
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 274 Posts

Wow nice work! Can you take a pic of the low beam further away from the wall?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
Great diy, I will try it!,but how exactly the slider works? cheers.
Sonny1.
I could not see itin the pic, but here is a YouTube video explaining it.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
slangford
Track Day

Default Bi Xenon kit?

Hi Eck,

Your avatar shows you now live in Bavaria. Is that the Euro one or one in N.A.? The reason - I expect you looked around for the best kit for this, and was wondering where you picked it up? Save myself some further Googling ... Thanks.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Hello Slangford,
This is a kit you can't really buy as I did all the brackets myself. The projectors are Mini Morimoto. You'll find them on the web. I came up with the rest. It's pretty straight forward if you're handy with tools.
This was my way of installing it. I don't think many 993 drivers have installed true Bi Xenons. The common thing is to just retrofit H1 burners but I liked the idea to have the fast HID response from low to hi plus the added light output of a 2nd set of burners for hi beams. This way it doesn't matter that they take 5 seconds or so to fully warm up. The turbo lag is gone so to say.
Ed
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Testdr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice writeup. Why not install the D2S system instead? Size looks the same, but I might be wrong.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is great.
I assume this will not work with litronic retrofit, will it?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM
sonny1
Banned

I just did this, and it turn out spectacular!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM
EckFe1
Pro

For anybody who's interested in a pro kit, the retrofit source team has now built an upgrade kit for bi xenons for our 993.
I was just browsing for new stuff and found this:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.V3q4mKJkkhQ

This is pretty much what I've done 3 years ago and now it seems it's even easier to do. Check it out. I'm not affiliated in any way. Just wanted to pass on the info.
Ed
Old 07-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

All in, bi-xenon's, new ballasts, drivers, bulbs, harness, dual hi beam thingy, etc...about $320. This would probably cure the insufficient high beam issue with the car....

Anybody BTDT yet?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:33 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

thanks for creating this thread!
Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 22 Posts

Great write-up! I am about to do the same to my headlights.

I was unaware that slight modifications were needed with the Morimoto projectors. I thought the Morimoto projectors were a direct replacement for the old ones. Was I mistaken?

Quick Reply: My Bi-Xenon install diy