Best HID upgrade - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Best HID upgrade

Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM
  #31  
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
tuto993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 189
Default

Originally Posted by tsloeza View Post
The kit come with both lens and hardware brackets for $160. Thats all you really need. The high beam spitter harness is optional, this is used if you are planing on using the orignal high beam along with the high beam in the projector lens. Harness will need some modification on the connectors to make it fit properly. If your buying the Tore kit you will not need any thing else, If your not using Tore's kit then you can by there HID ballast/bulb kit but it looks like it will not all fit with in the headlight assembly
God, thank you so much.

Thats what had me so confused... I did not know the projector had its own high beam setting!! To be fair, I do not think this is disclosed anywhere on the website, and I am a newbie to all this modern tech stuff...

Will order this weekend.
tuto993 is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 PM
  #32  
Tremelune
User
 
Tremelune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,669
Default

Using an HID bulb without a projector is a recipe for glare and poor dispersion. If you go with a projector, you can pretty much use any standard HID bulb.

Was there never a factory HID option for the 993?
Tremelune is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM
  #33  
DiegoR
User
 
DiegoR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Peru
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Using an HID bulb without a projector is a recipe for glare and poor dispersion. If you go with a projector, you can pretty much use any standard HID bulb.

Was there never a factory HID option for the 993?

Yes, it was called LiTronic, my 993tt has it from factory.
DiegoR is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 AM
  #34  
Sandia man
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 137
Default

Just to complicate things, I’ll tell of my adventure in lighting. I had the hid kit from Gert in my car and was pleased with the low beam but the original halogen high beam looked pretty anemic in comparison. I then installed the LED high beam kit from Cylops (I think) and high beams are wonderful by comparison with the original. Installation was tight but it all fit. Get a pentalobe driver if attempting this job.
Sandia man is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 04:08 AM
  #35  
FlatSix911
Super User
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Altos, CA
Posts: 5,267
Default

Well done!
FlatSix911 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM
  #36  
flyingchappy
User
 
flyingchappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 799
Default

Originally Posted by tsloeza View Post
The kit come with both lens and hardware brackets for $160. Thats all you really need. The high beam spitter harness is optional, this is used if you are planing on using the orignal high beam along with the high beam in the projector lens. Harness will need some modification on the connectors to make it fit properly. If your buying the Tore kit you will not need any thing else, If your not using Tore's kit then you can by there HID ballast/bulb kit but it looks like it will not all fit with in the headlight assembly
Originally Posted by Sandia man View Post
Just to complicate things, I’ll tell of my adventure in lighting. I had the hid kit from Gert in my car and was pleased with the low beam but the original halogen high beam looked pretty anemic in comparison. I then installed the LED high beam kit from Cylops (I think) and high beams are wonderful by comparison with the original. Installation was tight but it all fit. Get a pentalobe driver if attempting this job.
I did this ^^^ and the Morimoto lens upgrade with Tore’s low beam HID bulbs. The Morimoto bi-HID setup has a solenoid splitter that lifts when the high beam is switch is engaged. The Morimoto projector is both high and low now. So essentially I have the Cyclops LED high beam AND the ‘opened’ projection beam all on when the high is engaged. It throws a tremendous amount of light. I did this all in stages, Tore’s HID then Cyclops LED and finally Morimoto projector. The final result is worth it and it’s all reversible for you purists.
flyingchappy is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM
  #37  
jimbo3
Licensed to Keel
Rennlist Member
 
jimbo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,459
Default

Originally Posted by flyingchappy View Post
I did this ^^^ and the Morimoto lens upgrade with Tore’s low beam HID bulbs. The Morimoto bi-HID setup has a solenoid splitter that lifts when the high beam is switch is engaged. The Morimoto projector is both high and low now. So essentially I have the Cyclops LED high beam AND the ‘opened’ projection beam all on when the high is engaged. It throws a tremendous amount of light. I did this all in stages, Tore’s HID then Cyclops LED and finally Morimoto projector. The final result is worth it and it’s all reversible for you purists.
Do you feel this is the best sequence for upgrading in stages?

I was thinking that maybe first doing the projector, then Tore's kit, and doing the Cyclops last, but am unsure. Like the OP, I'm on unfamiliar territory when it comes to lighting. Your suggestions/advice appreciated.
jimbo3 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:38 PM
  #38  
flyingchappy
User
 
flyingchappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 799
Default

Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
Do you feel this is the best sequence for upgrading in stages?
I was thinking that maybe first doing the projector, then Tore's kit, and doing the Cyclops last, but am unsure. Like the OP, I'm on unfamiliar territory when it comes to lighting. Your suggestions/advice appreciated.
You are going to want to do Tore’s HID first and then Morimoto. This will render your current halogen high beam bulb useless. You may want to keep it this way and be just as happy with the result. Then later on if you want to add I bit more light on the high beam side install the Cyclops LED to replace the halogen bulb.
flyingchappy is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:23 PM
  #39  
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
tuto993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 189
Default

Originally Posted by flyingchappy View Post
You are going to want to do Tore’s HID first and then Morimoto. This will render your current halogen high beam bulb useless. You may want to keep it this way and be just as happy with the result. Then later on if you want to add I bit more light on the high beam side install the Cyclops LED to replace the halogen bulb.
PERFECT SUMMARY!! This simple sentence was the best explanation.

Thank you everyone who contributed. Thank you all for the pictures. As they say they are worth a thousand words.
I think this is the path I will follow...

Cheers,
tuto993 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 PM
  #40  
jimbo3
Licensed to Keel
Rennlist Member
 
jimbo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,459
Thumbs up

Thank you for the advise, flyingchappy, and thank you, tuto for starting this thread!
jimbo3 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:57 PM
  #41  
fsa
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 476
Default

I would appreciate some illumination.
I have factory Litronics and they work well. The front lenses are a little cloudy.
Can I, should I modify with projectors or anything else?
Can I purchase the front glass lens portions?
fsa is offline  
Old 12-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  #42  
HalfGerman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 329
Default

Of course you can just get the glass. I just bought a set and found them cheapest, at $125 each, here: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/a...omponents-scat

Looks like they are now $135. My mistake, I actually ordered from Suncoast in FL at $125 each. Sunset is closer to you.

Mine had haze on the lens so I simply used a cotton swab and wiped down the outside of the lens. Did not want to disassemble to get to the backside of the glass. You could also upgrade the hi beam bulbs like I did with something like a Phillips Xtreme vision bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWTQOE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512231565&sr=1-8&keywords=h1+headlight+bulb https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWTQOE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512231565&sr=1-8&keywords=h1+headlight+bulb

Just be aware that these upgraded bulbs only have a 400 hr life vs stock at 800+ hrs, which I was fine with.
HalfGerman is offline  
Old 12-04-2017, 11:04 PM
  #43  
Magdaddy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Magdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oneida, New York
Posts: 3,887
Default

Originally Posted by flyingchappy View Post
I did this ^^^ and the Morimoto lens upgrade with Tore’s low beam HID bulbs. The Morimoto bi-HID setup has a solenoid splitter that lifts when the high beam is switch is engaged. The Morimoto projector is both high and low now. So essentially I have the Cyclops LED high beam AND the ‘opened’ projection beam all on when the high is engaged. It throws a tremendous amount of light. I did this all in stages, Tore’s HID then Cyclops LED and finally Morimoto projector. The final result is worth it and it’s all reversible for you purists.
on the “to-do” list this winter....among other things.
Magdaddy is offline  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:40 AM
  #44  
fsa
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 476
Default

Insides of lenses covering Litronics were hazy. Removed them and cleaned the insides- noticeable difference in appearance and improvement in light output Replaced high beam bulbs with Philips 130% recommended by an earlier thread.
fsa is offline  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 AM
  #45  
Railmaster.
User
 
Railmaster.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 855
Default

Is it legal to do this upgrade in USA? In Europe it's not!
Railmaster. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: