Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the passion for Porsche? I don't Get It!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Welcome to the Club...unfortunately there is no money back guarantee on your admission fee.

If you really want to feel the potential of your car...tack it to a DE at a racetrack. If you do this, shortly thereafter, you'll Get It!!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Lee
BTW, CP, I visited Ruf in Pfaffenhausen a few wks. ago and now I have to own one of them too.
Rick,

Lucky you for the RUF visit. I have not been there yet, but my next European trip will feature that as the high-light.

If you love your 993, you will LOVE your RUF. I have driven 993s, 996s, Boxsters, M5, M3, Z3, Z4...... the RUF tops them all, by a mile or so.

The difficulty is that there just aren't many 993 RUFs around. Your best bet is to send your own 993 over to Pfaffenhausen and have them do the conversion work there. You will have the best possible results in terms of workmanship and assemblage. Remember, not all surgeons are the same. The down side is the cost, as usual.

Good luck with your quest. It is a mind boggling car, probably much more than what we can use on American roads.

CP
Old 12-10-2003, 01:31 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

My first experience of the 911 was in 1981 when I was given lift in a '76 3.0litre Carrera - I had never felt a car "come on cam" at 4000rpm like that one did, the shove in the back was intoxicating but wayyy out of my league price wise. In 1986 came my next real experience. I had assumed that 911s by then had become refined and luxurious cars (partly because of the huge price being asked for them in the UK at that time) when a friend bought a 1985 911 Carrera. He gave me a ride and I could not believe how raw it was, the noise, the harshness, the acceleration - I remember thinking it was like a Rally car - I was totally smitten. It took 'til 1988 for me to buy my first 911, an '81SC. I have driven nothing else since and my passion only got stronger. What other car has the areodynamics in stock form to manage 200mph needing "only" around 500HP ? - the 911 was doing this (courtesy of Ruf) in 1987 ! It is the way the 911 puts most of its flywheel power to the ground, and maintains its power despite any adverse conditions - they are truly over engineered beasts
The fact that these aircooled cars are now (by virtue of age) becoming "vintage" cars makes the cars to me even more special.
As someone has already said, I suppose you either "get it" or you don't. Pre Rennlist I just presumed I was a bit of a saddo 911 anorak - now I know I am but it feels better knowing I'm not alone
Old 12-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

For me it started with seeing a 911 Turbo in my youth… and the sound of that engine. But pretty much back then it was the looks of all those exotic sport cars without the notion or knowledge of how big, small, comfortable, maintenance costs, etc… heck, I thought the Lambo had room for four and was comfortable as a sedan… so to me it was that “cool” factor.

As I grew older and started to read about these cars it became apparent that the only real exotic car that could be used to a daily basis was the Porsche. Add to that the years I spent on an air-cooled car (my dad’s VW) and I was hooked. I always loved the sound of the air-cooled engines (but never the smell of the plastics and vinyl in the VW).

So it was more the obsession of a child’s dream that got me to want a Porsche.

It wasn’t until I started working that I was able to even sit down in one. It was a very poor example of a 911… so much so that my dream had been shatter… before stepping into the Porsche showroom I had gone through all sort of cars as I got promoted in my work; Civic Si, Pathfinder, 300ZX TT, BMW, Miata that I turbo charged, Volvo, etc) I remember telling the sales guy that if this is what the 911 was all about then it was a piece of @#$@#%… What saved it all was the salesman giving me the keys to an almost new C4S… that was all it took… I later learn to appreciate the old, well maintained 911s… My first Porsche was a 1997 C2S Guards Red, followed by a 1997 C2S Vesuvius with full Aero kit (in which I got car jacked on January 5, 1998).

For me some of the special characteristics of these cars are their race history, knowing the amount of manual labor that went into making them, the level of confidence I have when pushing them to the limit (the many 170+mph in the C2S on a Saturday morning), the sound the produce, the sexy lines, the timeless never-aging design, the cost of ownership when compared to other exotics, the fact that I can take my family along, looking back at the car when I park it…

I too have loved all the cars I have had… for some reason or another (wish I could find a pristine 300ZX TT again)… but the 911 is the car that can fulfill all my wants and needs. Especially the 993… for now I will enjoy the 964 and fool around with the 951 (a car that shares blood and oil with me with all the cuts/bruises I have received working on it). I would probably never get rid of them and plan to find a nice 993 to buy around March next year.

With the new 911 (996) all this emotions have somewhat diluted. If Porsche ever decides to bring a car back with a link to the racecars they built (read… a 911 with rear seats and a GT3 engine) then I might make the stretch and buy a new one…

In summary... it really depends on what got you to own your car in the first place... the passion for the marquee and the dreams of a child… or whatever…
Old 12-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O.K. Guys. I am going to take a different approach. I agree with Rick and the rest of you but I think uptheorg is just truly trying to understand why we love our cars the way we do and what the mystique of a 911 or even just Porsche is all about. I will say this; even after we give the reasons it is something that has to grow on you and won't happen overnight, but nonetheless here are a few I can think of:

I had pictures of 911's on my wall since I was ten years old because it was, well, different. The common mans' supercar. The supercar you could easily drive to work. The car that can hang with (or beat) a Ferrari but cost one tenth that of a Ferrari to service , run and maintain. (I have examples if you need them).

For example, just the other day my best friend who has an M3 was complimenting my car and how beautiful it was and that he would love one if he could afford it. His freind who autocrosses is selling his M3 that was modified to autocross because he borrowed a friends 993 at the autocross one day and beat not only his best time is his M3 by two full seconds, but he beat EVERYBODY's best time and won the entire day across all classes. That included beating Corvette Z06's and super-prepared cars in a stock 993!!!!

Then my friend made reference to the issue of buying a supercar. He said, "Why would anyone ever buy a Ferrari. You cannot drive it everyday because it is too expensive to maintain, you don't want to track it because you might damage it, and it is too expensive for a garage queen". My answer was, if you have the money it doesn't matter. Well, since he's a Ferrari fan, his response surprised me. He said, "Well even if I had the money it would still matter. Performance-wise, you can buy a 911 GT3 or even a 911 GT2 for alot less money, drive it every day and service and maintain the car for probably not much more than maintaining a regular 993. Try doing that with Maranello or a 360 Modena". I think his point was, you get supercar like numbers out of a car that costs alot less, is easy to drive to the store or work and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Those criteria put you in fairly limited company.

Some other reasons why these cars are special are:
*How many sports cars have a 40 year history for one model with almost no changes to the car?
*Look at the dash, race car inspired, unchanged until the 996
*Porsche racing history actually fitlers down into every car they build
*Key position on left side of steering wheel, race car inspired
*Rear engine - how many other sports cars have it?
*Rear engine car handling - Take a Z4 around a curve and try to kick out, then take your 993, to me that one is obvious
*911 looks - any of them just look at those rear hips on the car, what other car in the world has that distinctive of a body?
911 sound - listen to the growl it has, maybe you need the motorsound airbox to make it complete, but it is definitely different
*Front headlight look - the bug eyes have it. Different, sexy, 911's before the 993 had the distinct upright look that no other car had. The 993 retained the round lights but in a much sexier and sleeker look

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Just go out in your garage and look at the car. I mean really look at it. Squat down and look at the lines of the car, the hips, the flared fenders, the deep offset rims, the sloping back, the beautiful front end. Now try and think of a car that even closely resembles it. Now think of a Z4 and how many other roadsters look very similar to it. Now go drive the car and feel it....drive it so you "feel" the engine behind you let the weight of the engine push you through a turn or two. Now go test drive a Z4 and try to get that same feeling.....

O.K. - I've got to drive my car now. I got myself all worked up :-)

Hope this helps,

Robert
Old 12-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Hi uptheorg!

sorry, I cannot help you for the "Porsche passion", but if you are still looking for a Z4 forum here is one : http://www.z4roadster.org.uk/

JP
Old 12-10-2003, 01:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Many of the respondants have described how they became enamored of the marque in chilhood and it carried forward from there. I have always been a car lover (addicted to watching Speed Racer from age 5 - now showing on Speed Channel BTW), but to be honest, I was never a fan. I grew up in L.A. in the 70's where Porsches were very common - no big deal. Instead I was always a Ferrari fan.

About 5 years ago, I bought a 73 911S in great condition after seeing that they were appreciating in value and I found a great local car that was well priced, just to see what the fuss was about. I loved that car! It had soul and was so much more fun to drive than the 3,000 lb sports cars I was used to (BMW). Then, I started driving at the track and quickly realized that Porsches were king there. I soon bought a 944 Turbo S and modded it (total investment about $10k) and I was lapping much faster than Ferraris (F355). Since that day, my love affair with the F-car has receded considerably and my affection for the P-cars has multiplied.

So, some people can learn to love them. Maybe you need to try a different model of P-car - there are quite a few interesting ones to choose from - very different cars with a wide range of prices...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kim, You know I can't tell! Mike W
Old 12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it must be in the blood, as my experiences weren't learned:

- I was a car nut from day one, having a grandfather who was a car salesman and an uncle who was a car nut. Some of the earliest pictures of me are behind the wheel of a car with a grin on my face.

- At age 6 or 7 I was riding in the back of the family car with my Dad driving. I saw a 911 go past and shouted "whoa, look at the Porsche", nearly causing my Dad to go off the road. I haven't the foggiest idea where I had learned what a Porsche was, but my uncle or grandfather are the most likely people to have told me.

- At age 12 my Dad was car shopping and told me he was going to get a 911. I was ecstatic, and I memorized the brochure. He ended up getting a Mercedes 300CD, and I was heartbroken.

- At age 15 my Dad's associate got a "gray market" 930 which had been tuned by RUF to something like 300HP, which was remarkable at the time. During one ride he hit the gas while we were going 60 and we were going 150 before I remembered to breath again. Awesome.

- At age 21 I was home from college when my Dad let me girlfriend and I take out his 1988 911 Cabriolet. I was almost too nervous to drive it, but got to feel the rush when mashing the gas pedal. Unbelievable, and this was one of the 911s from the "bad" years for HP.

- During most of the 90's I lusted after Porsches, but kept telling myself that I really didn't need one, that having a SUV was more practical, and so on. What an idiot I was!

- In 2001 I bought a Boxster, and within 9 months I bought my first 911, a 993 C4S. A 928 S4 followed that. I traded the C4S for a 993 racecar, and eventually sold the 928 as it was just too much of a hassle to maintain. Lovely car and fun to drive, but just not practical.

Yes, I'm a Porsche nut, but it had very little to do with any sort of groupthink. My influences were some relatives early on, car magazine articles, and a few rides now and then over the years.

When I finally decided to buy one I shopped the Z3 and Vette at the same time as the Boxster, but there simply was no comparison. The Z3 would have been something like $10k less than the Boxster, but it just didn't do for me what the Boxster did. The Vette, well, it was fast, but that's about the nicest thing I could say about it.

Right now I want another 993, this time for the street and maybe the occassional DE/autocross. My racecar is awesome and a blast to drive on the track, but I can't just hop into it anytime I need a 911 fix.

I have given rides to perhaps 30 people over the years, and I've let more than dozen friends drive my Boxster, 993, and 928. Everyone of them raved about how well the cars handled, the great sound, the acceleration, and so on. Many of them said things like "now I understand why you're so crazy about these cars!"

Like many here, I could care less whether or not others like these cars, but it is more fun to be part of groups like PCA and rennlist.

With apologies to the Bard:

"What's in a name? That which we call a Porsche
By any other word would drive as sweet."

Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do I have passion for my car?

Take the engine to 3000 rpm, and floor it - and let it run to redline - shift, let her run again.

That thrill, with razor sterring, and great engineering is what gets me every time.

some people don't get it, some people get it for different reasons.

If you don't get it, sell the car.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:09 PM
KeithR3
Pro

For the Z4 info. Go to www.roadfly.com

Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, this thread proves my suspicions are well founded... most everyone on this board is a certifiable nutcase, myself included. I think uptheorg brings up an interesting topic (and others must agree gauging by the response). The bottom line... Is the 911 just another car (albeit a nice one), or is it something very special, almost surreal?

I have a passion for all high performance cars. Hell, I still enjoy my Mustang Cobra. I would never dennigrate a Z06, an M3, a turbo Celica, and a large handful of really fun, fast cars. They are all great in their own way.

But... park anyone of those cars next to a 993, and stand back and gaze at them. None of them is really handsome, keeps drawing your eye back to it as the 993. My buddy has a new Z4... a very nice, fun car. But it looks "funny" to my eye. You can never gaze at that car and say "wow, that car is beautiful". There are very few cars that strike a pose like a 993, and mostly the others are very expensive Italian cars (although the new Aston Martin strike the same cord as my 993). And that's just the eye-appeal part of the 993. Others have covered the mecahnical aspects very well.

But the bottom line, fellers, is that is REALLY is just a car!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

I think that "UptheOrg" said it all in his topic line. Yes, it is a passion. TO be a passion ii must be beyond explanation. You either have it for someone or thing, or you do not...

As far as Porsche goes, these cars got under my skin at the young age of 7. A new family moved in next door that had a new 912. I remember going to the movies with them in that green 912. I remember how it handled, how it smelled different than other cars and the big center mounted tachometer dancing around in time to the engine. How cool ! At the young age of 7, I did not get why the tach was there or what made it more important than the speedo like on all of my own family's cars. So innocent as I was that day I asked...Once our neighbor showed me how he drove to the tach, it was all over for me. How cool, this is a real sports car !

After pestering my own father for some 5 years to come after that jaunt to the movies, my family purchased our first Porsche, a 1973 911T targa. It's been a family standard ever since.

Put simply, these cars get into your blood. There is no rationale explanation. I don't think it works that way. As someone else mentioned, it is realy measure by the smile on your face. If you don't get the smile, don;t sweat it, just move on and find your own passion. To each, their own !
Old 12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
kmatts
Racer

I get it, i've got it, it's not going away.
I've had it ever since i can remember.
I remember wishing my mom's 76 beetle was a 356.
I remember thinking my mom's best friend must have been VERY wealthy because she had the most beautiful black 944.
I wasn't even 10 at that point.
The most vivid memory was when i was in college. I was sitting at a light in Pullman Washington when a silver 1995 993 pulled up to the light and took off. I still remember the sound. To this day, i think that was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.
hobby? passion?, No i'm OBSESSED.
All for me, not into the bling* bling* so other people think i'm "cool" or whatever. Best summed up by a bumper sticker i once saw.
Hi, No...I don't care. Thanks.
now if i could just afford a 550A. hmmmmm.
Cheers, Kyle.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright guys, all this talk about Ruf compels me to post a link from my full report on Pelican about the test drive they took me on. Lots more if no one minds me posting links from Pelican. I can't type it all over again and posting the photos was a PITA. Check them out in the main 993 forum in just a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Why the passion for Porsche? I don't Get It!!