Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the passion for Porsche? I don't Get It!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uptheorg is a new 993 owner, like myself. His perspective may be slightly colored by his recent experience with a smog test dyno.

If I had experienced the trauma of having someone damage the object of my dreams, I would certainly think long and hard about the relationship too.

Most kids ran to the street corner when they heard the firetruck siren. I ran to the corner when the siren of the neighbors aubergine (purple) 72 911S came down the street. Time stood still as the five spoke fuchs spun by and the music played on from the tail pipes.

34 years later I worked the Maverick Region PCA Club Race as an SCCA Starter/Race Official. The 993 was delivered that day. I turned the corner of the driveway and saw it for the first time in MY garage.

The saying around here is - It's not just the cars - It's the people. Mavericks and Rennlisters are the greatest, I'm very glad to know you all.

Porsche Parade 2004 is in Ft. Worth - Hope to see you here!

Howard
98 C2Cab Tip Glacier white / Black top
Old 12-11-2003, 11:27 AM
salty1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may not be steeped in the heritage of "Porsche" as much as the rest of the board and I freely admit that I do not know all the "technical" jargon regarding the DIY projects available to do on these cars. But passion I do have!!! Emotions give rise to the passion. So, to have passion one must have emotions. And the emotions I get from owning a 95 C2 Cab starts with the appreciation of a great and powerful woman who has soft curves in the right places and the authority to use those curves. This statement is meant as a compliment to all women.

It was stated earlier in this thread about this car when parked next to other cars that it stands out. Well, no wander it stands out. The quality,class, size, shape, condition, the low profile, the soft curves that seem to go on endlessly, and its stance telepathically saying I'm ready if are you. Just seeing the car makes you want to go up and touch all those soft curves and once you touch it, you want to open the door and get inside. Once inside you turn the key and here that low slight growl that makes you want to test drive it. Once on the road you realize the awesome power and handling behind all those soft curves. Hard to fathom that a car with such softness could be so powerfull and graceful. Once you realize the power, you want to keep driving. And this could be why we 993 owners have that permanent grin on our faces every time we drive our cars.

These are some of the subtle emotions that rise up when I pull this "car" out my garage for a drive about anywhere. I am one lucky guy to own such a "car". There are other technical reasons why these are great cars to drive which have been covered extremely well in this forum.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you one day "get it" for this car.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally posted by salty1
I may not be steeped in the heritage of "Porsche" as much as the rest of the board and I freely admit that I do not know all the "technical" jargon regarding the DIY projects available to do on these cars. But passion I do have!!! Emotions give rise to the passion. So, to have passion one must have emotions. And the emotions I get from owning a 95 C2 Cab starts with the appreciation of a great and powerful woman who has soft curves in the right places and the authority to use those curves. This statement is meant as a compliment to all women.
I like salt 1 comment. I had the opportunity to test drive numerous sports cars in the Germany, Switzerland area in 1983 and 1984 when I purchased my second 911. I test drove everything imaginable. Lambo's, Ferrari's, BMW's and of coarse Porsches. Although technology is more advanced today these cars were the best of the time. Other than the thrill the 420hp and sound of the engine powering the 512 BB LM and the handling of the BMW M1 all of these cars lacked something.

The Porsche was the car equivalent of the perfect woman for me. Challenging & powerful yet tempered. Handled great but kept you on your toes. It instilled a passion, thrill and comfort for driving that the other cars seemed to lack. Don't get me wrong if I could have afforded the other cars I might be saying something different today. But each of the others although great in their own right had something that could not allow me to enjoy the car the same way a Porsche does. But all in all Passion is the key word. As all rennlisters appear to have great passion for their individual cars. As we all know each one is unique in its own right as is its owner.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I switched over from 'the other 911 group'

Since I lived at home with my parents, I wanted a Porsche, always was that my one and only wanted car. The main reason buying one on my age of 31 then was the missing money [I don't buy on credit, only a house] and, my mom would throw my out the house as I talked about purchace one....... I was 16 years old then. She sayd always, "Porsche is a car for Pimps and "the rich and wrong people"

I am not rich, no pimp, guess I am a wrong uman then

We love them all those Porsche's, don't we...???
Old 12-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan, I like the fact you own a Porsche in a country "where anything is possible". I gotta head over there. Mike W
Old 12-11-2003, 02:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Uptheorg:
In response to your thoughts on getting it on the track, here are places that helped me (and my whopping 5 track days, although all are in the last 5 months):

1) People at PCA autocrosses. Super helpful, gave me some rides at the track, showed me you don't have to have a last name of Schumacher to have fun on the track.

2) This board. But beware of people like SilverBullet (Kim), Tom W, ViperBob, Boris, etc. etc. They brew a powerful elixir that wiill make you want to start modifying your car. I have mostly resisted, instead opting for track time and learning this already magnificent car, until such point that an instructor says I'm outdriving it.

3) www.pca-ggr.org (for my region) to find out about AutoXing first...personally recommend doing that first, including going to one of the schools...REALLY hard to mess anything up in AutoX, and you learn great car control. I got on the gas too early at 11 at Laguna, brought the back end around, and I don't think my heart rate even changed, since I was confident in how to fix it (and it was low speed).
4) www.ncracing.com
5) www.tracquest.org

Check with the board or search on specific track places...you want to make sure it is a like minded bunch of guys, not a bunch of rednecks in Chevy Novas getting confused on demolition derby vs. track day.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Rory H.
AutoX

I never really had a single experience when I was a kid that defined my Porsche obsession, but they always would catch my eye. I just loved the way they looked and saying 911 Porsche. I remember in my teens others would say oh they just took a VW engine and put it an expensive car, buy a beetle you will get the same thing. They were all big Vette, TransAm or Iroc Z fans. But those cars just never did it for me yeah they were fast and pretty cool looking and would of owned one if I could of afforded it, but it would of been just another car.

Then I think when I was my late teens or early 20ish, the movie Against All Odds came out and the ex football player had that beautiful red 911 and the race scene with the Ferrari did it for me. God that 911 looked great and fast (hell of lot faster then a beetle) lol. Not bad for an air cooled engine I thought! Maybe my friends are just idiots. The Ferrari while hot was nowhere near a gorgeous as that Red 911.

So from that day I had my heart set on a "Red" 911. Even wrote it down as a list of lifetime goals.

Well then I went to college, got a job, got married and started a family so a 911 Porsche was not a realistic option so it pretty much faded from my conscience. Even though they would always turn my head. That was until a couple of years ago when I was turning 38 and was going through some old things and found that piece of paper with my life time goals.

And there it was.... own a "Red 911" by the time I hit 40. So all of sudden it was back in the forefront again. I was impressed with myself That I had accomplished most of the goals I had put down by the time I hit 40, except for that glaring "Red 911" At first I tried to talk my self out of it, too expensive just a silly kid's dream you have a good life, great family, financially secure you don't "need" a 911, who needs a third car, depreciating asset, more insurance, maintenance, probably just sit in the garage, know nothing about Porsches, the list just went on and on. But it didn't work...

You have to know me I am cheap and try to be practical, save for the kids college buy some Real Estate instead something that will appreciate in value. But in my mind the 911 would not die. But hey I managed to push is way in the back until the beginning of this year, I turn 40 in a couple of weeks btw. Porsche now was all I was thinking about, watched Ebay found Rennlist etc, so I brought it up to my wife, knowing she would shoot it down and I could be done with it. Guess what? She said that sounds cool, you should go for it!!!! Wow what a women! Crazy to boot!

So then I had no excuse and my search had begun. My wife like the 996 look and I still had my fear of the air cooled beetle thing stuck in the back of a car so we started there. There are a ton of 1999's for sale, we drove a couple and while very nice and refined, it wasn't the 911 I wanted or dreamed about. After more research I started hearing good things about the air cooled engine. So I started looking at the 993 and pretty much concentrated my search there. They are an awesome cars and absolutely love them, but the price of 35 to 45k was a little hard to justify Kept thinking of all the other things I could do with the money, so I kept looking thinking I might get lucky and find mint 993 for 30k or less...LOL! that didn't happen.

So one day when I was looking at 98 993 that was for 39k and I still think was an awesome deal silver with black leather, it did sell the next day btw. I noticed the wholesaler had a 1990 c4 Cab 30k miles that had just been traded in, one owner car. It wasn't even cleaned up it just came off the truck a couple of days before from out of state who traded it for a 2003 996. It wasn't red but white with dark blue leather and it was in perfect condition not a ding on it, interior looked brand new. All service records from the same dealer since new and he the major mileage services done at 4 year intervals regardless of mileage so it had the 45k done and plus a yearly service of oil changes and what other problems he found.

The car just called to me and he offered me a great price, white was growing on me fast. So I bought it right there with no PPI. I know I know blasphemy!! They did say they fully inspected it, doesn't leak oil everything works etc. You had to of seen this place my 964 was the cheapest car in the warehouse. 100K + cars all around. I have the original sticker with about every option available. The original MRSP was 83K, I never do anything this stupid, but I didn't care I just wanted that car. The price was just too good and sometimes you just have to just have to go for it as they say. I had to wait 4 hours while they fully detailed it and I went to get a cashiers check and have my head examined.

There I was driving out the door in my vert own 911 Porsche! Top down fully detailed and with a grin so wide my face hurt! Since then I have done a lot more research, talked to the previous owner and feel even better about my purchase. I was lucky I know.

Now we get to the fun part driving this awesome machine, at first the car scared the hell out me but now I am much more comfortable and love the feel of the engine at your back the thrill of accelerating up a hill where most other cars are bogging down and the cornering! You would have to be a complete idiot to lose control on a corner. Oh and the best part an old Iroc Z pulled up along side of me (mid 80's I think) I was already going 70 when he rev his engine so I thought what he hell lets see what can this old air cooled beetle engine can do. I shifted down and floored it within a couple of seconds he was in my side mirror then rear! Then he slinked away and pulled off the highway. Yep my friends really were idiots LOL...

When I pulled my car into my neighborhood all the kids came to check it out so I spent the next couple of hours giving each of them and some of their parents a ride. By the look on their faces I think I may have created a few new Porsche enthusiast that day. Sometimes at night I go into the garage smell that Porsche smell and just sit and admire it. My 7 year old now thinks he is pretty hot stuff.... And so do I! lol! My face still hurts from the constant grinning after driving it.

Porsche it is just magic!

Forgive the long rambling post.....
Old 12-11-2003, 11:34 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

I can't put it any better than the many thoughtful rennlisters have in this thread, so I won't try. As with many other's my passion started early. There has not been a year I've spent on this earth that there hasn't been a 911 in my family, and my earliest memories are of the sights, sounds, and sensations of riding on the rear "shelf" of my father's '73T. The memories, even now, are simply magical.

Air-cooled 911s are like fine timepieces - they simply defy what we normally consider to be the limits of human experience. In much the same way that my purely mechanical automatic Omega wristwatch can run for months on end gaining just seconds on springs, gears, and the flick of my wrist; it seems otherworldly that the scant 270 horsepower 993 can propel me at breathtaking speeds with a simple twitch of my foot. There are very few man-made creations that we might consider to have souls. It is a testement to the engineers and craftsmen that built these extrodinary cars that our treasured Porsches are certainly among them.

sean
Old 12-12-2003, 01:35 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

First of all ALL of you must go re-read the post by JPS on page 3 as that captures the soul stirring magic that these machines create within us. I'm 31 and my 85' GTI was as close as I could get when I was 19 to the same type of feeling always imagining I was really in a 911. I've been extremely patient as I have driving a 1990 Honda Accord for the last year and a half building my business bought a house and a ring for the fiance but my NOW is here....My 97' Twin Turbo Met Black/Black w Sport seats arrives next week. To say that it's been a lifelong dream is a severe understatement...and I *could* have bought a new one but ...but you already know why I didn't......
Old 12-12-2003, 07:49 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you guys, all of you, again. Even though this thread has taken on a life of its own, I would like to believe there is still some curiosity as to how my conversion is going!!

As you suggested CAVEMAN, I need to get through the winter and start driving the car in the spring. Although I think I will be completely "in love" by then, it certainly is depressing that we have already had our first major snowstorm here in the NY area last weekend!

JPS -- Thank you so much for the DE information . . . I'll let you know when I go to some.

And SURJ -- thanks for the kind words about the Z3. One of the things I learned from the responses on this thread was to drive the car at 3000rpm and shift at much higher points than I have been. Using the car primarily for errands like picking up the kids at school or returning a tape to Blockbuster, I have been shy about "racing" to get back and forth. Yesterday, after reading all of the posts on this thread, I took the car up to redline several times and am now convinced that that is where the magic lies!!

By the way, RORYH, thanks for reminding me of one of my most favorite scenes -- this too had impacted me positively about the 911, but I had forgotten it.

Also, all of you guys have made me proud that I have been squeezing my kid's friends into the back seats for the last two months. They have been loving it and now I realize that they probably won't ever forget it either!

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 12-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Radman
Intermediate

I've always loved Porsches. As a kid the 911's made me drool, I loved the blunt nose of the 944, and the rounded rear of the 928. I never really thought that I would be able to own one someday though. I had a friend in the navy that had a couple 914s and finally a 911 but it was to expensive for him to maintain.

The real bug hit me about a week ago. I've been searching for a mid 30k car to replace my 00 F150 for 3-4 months now. I'm a car nut and am driving my wife nuts by picking a "car of the week" that I claim is the perfect vehicle for us. As I was driving back to work after lunch I pulled up next to a 996 at a stop light. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. There just aren't many Porches on the west side of Atlanta so it was the first good look at one in months. As soon as I got into my office I fired up autotrader to see how much used 911's were going for. Sure enough, there were plenty in my 35-40k price range. As I expanded my search I realized that there even some with low miles in that range.

Suddenly I realized that the 911, what I had always considered the epitome of a sports car, was within my reach. I don't consider the 911 the car of the week, I consider it the car of my future. As for the 993, I consider it the perfect 911. The 996 just looks to "soft" IMO. Now, I just have to wait at least the year I promised my wife before buying another car to enjoy it. Thankfully I found this site. Loads of valuable information, and plenty of examples to try and convince my wife that I'm not crazy for wanting to spend that much money on a used car .

Jason
Old 12-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Miraculix
Pro

"Why the passion for Porsche? I don't Get It!!"
How could you even think about posting a topic like that in the 993 forum?
I knew from the moment I saw this thread it would get like a 100 replies in a couple of days and where almost there..
Old 12-12-2003, 02:48 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

uptheorg (Jim),

I appreciate your honesty with asking the original question. You seem to have the right amount enthusiasm and it will just be a matter of time before your 993 becomes a part of you. When that happens - watch out! You may need to get a second job for the mods! Also, it looks as if your kids are going to have the passion way before they get driver's license!

Enjoy your Porsche, Jim.

Rich
Old 12-12-2003, 03:07 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

If you did not have passion, you wouldn't be on this site AND own a 993. It's there, it just needs to come out. Do a DE, Zaino the car, shift at redline, look at how people gawk when they see your car, change the oil, etc. Enjoy your 993, there isn't anything like it.

Addison
Old 12-13-2003, 04:32 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uptheorg, unfortunately you have chosen the blandest of 911's to buy. Not only did you get a 993, but a c4 as well. The all-wheel drive deadens a lot of the steering feel. You should try an older 911 like a 3.2 Carrera or SC. They are slower than a 993 though. Probably the most "passion invoking" 911 would be an early 70-73 "S". The next best a slightly modified 930 turbo. A completely stock 930 is a bit clumsy to drive.

If those 911's don't ignite your passion glands, then try a Ferrari, like an F355 Spider. Not just thinking about it or reading about it or looking at it, but driving it. If that doesn't do it, you probably won't find a car that will.

Quick Reply: Why the passion for Porsche? I don't Get It!!